* Age of all individuals

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
waky53
Family Historian: V6

Age of all individuals

Post by waky53 »

I am a new user of FH6 having come across from FTM.
Is there a way to get a report or listing of the ages of every individual in the system?
I have had a look through the forum and tried the FH6 help, but was unable to find anything.
Regards
David
BillH
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Age of all individuals

Post by BillH »

David,

What age do you want? If you want current age, that only works for people who are still alive. If you want age at death, that only works for people who are dead for which you know the actual birth date and death date. Can you give more detail on what you actually want?

Bill
Bill Henshaw
waky53
Family Historian: V6

Post by waky53 »

I want both so I can see and compare the ages of everyone.
If it takes 2 reports that would be OK.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG David.
BTW: As a newcomer I recommend you work through how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers.

One way of achieving those Ages is to add a Column to the Records Window.

In the Records Window on the Individuals tab use Lists > Configure Record Window Columns.
Scroll to bottom of left-hand list and select <Other...> then click > in centre.
In Heading: enter Largest Age
In Expression: enter =TextIf( Exists(%INDI.DEAT%), AgeAt(%INDI%,EstimatedDeathDate(%INDI%, MID)), EstimatedAgeAt(%INDI%,Today(),AVG) )
(Copy and Paste that Expression to avoid typing mistakes.)
Finally click OK and OK again.

What that Expression does is test if a Death Event exists.
If so, it computes the Age At Estimated Death Date which uses actual Death Date if it exists, otherwise estimates it from other events.
If no Death Event, it computes Estimated Age Today.

Of course if any person has no Birth Date, or insufficient other dates, then no Age can be computed.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

David,

For the age at death there is also a standard query. Use View > Standard Queries > Age at Death (all).

Bill
Bill Henshaw
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, but that Query only works if there is both a specified Birth Date and a specified Death Date.
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

Mike

I thought I would give your Query a try. Is there any way of filtering out estimated ages in excess of say 110 years. I have numerous estimated ages over 100, the oldest being 367 year!

Many thanks

Brian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I actually suggested using the Records Window because you asked to obtain an Age for every Individual.
But a Query is an alternative approach that allows Individuals to be conditionally excluded.

I have slightly revised the Column Expression for Age to convert it to a number:

=NumberIf( Exists(%INDI.DEAT%), AgeAt(%INDI%,EstimatedDeathDate(%INDI%, MID)), EstimatedAgeAt(%INDI%,Today(),AVG) )

To exclude large values use a Rows tab filter such as:

Condition: Exclude if
Expression: =NumberIf( ...as above... )
Operator: is greater than
Value: 110

You can similarly exclude those without an Age by using a filter the same as above but with Operator: is null
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

Sorry Mike - I used the wrong terminology as it wasn't a Query but using the Expression in the Records Window that gave the high ages. Can these be eliminated via the Expression or is it something that we have to live with.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, I presume it is only the EstimatedAgeAt() that needs restricting and so the following will work:

=NumberIf( Exists(%INDI.DEAT%), AgeAt(%INDI%,EstimatedDeathDate(%INDI%, MID)), TextToNumber( TextIf( EstimatedAgeAt(%INDI%,Today(),AVG) <= 110, EstimatedAgeAt(%INDI%,Today(),AVG), "" ) ) )

Alternatively, perhaps slightly clearer, TextToNumber("") appears to be the only way to yield an empty number:

=NumberIf( Exists(%INDI.DEAT%), AgeAt(%INDI%,EstimatedDeathDate(%INDI%, MID)), NumberIf( EstimatedAgeAt(%INDI%,Today(),AVG) <= 110, EstimatedAgeAt(%INDI%,Today(),AVG), TextToNumber("") ) )
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

Thanks Mike - Perfect!