* Loss of Project

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
GrahamAB
Gold
Family Historian: None

Loss of Project

Post by GrahamAB »

I have 3 projects on the go. When I open Family Historian it of course goes straight to the Project Window. 2 of the projects have the correct date that I opened them last but the one I use most says " last updated 01/01/1970". It was in fact last week. When I try to open it a message says "Unable to open file C:\Documents etc. etc. I have tried opening the backup project files but again same thing happens. The other 2 projects open nomally. Help please.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Loss of Project

Post by tatewise »

Please give full details of the Unable to open file C:\Documents... message as that will help resolve the problem.
But it sounds as if the GEDCOM file has somehow gone missing as 01/01/1970 is a default date.

Have you perhaps attempted to move or rename files within the C:\Documents\Family Historian Projects folder?

Exactly what commands have you used to recover from the Backups?
The glossary:backup_and_recovery|- Backup and Recovery - Restoring your Family History Data may help.

If you tell us your FH Project Title we can be explicit about what to do.

The how_to:v4:understanding_projects#project_structure|- Understanding Projects - Project Structure may also help.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
GrahamAB
Gold

Post by GrahamAB »

The exact wording is "Unable to open file C:\Documents and Settings\Graham\My Documents\Family Historian Projects\Graham Buss Version 4 Family Tree\Graham Buss Version 4 Family Tree.fh_data\Graham Buss Version 4 Family Tree. ged. File not found".
I have not renamed the files or moved them as far as I know. I noticed though that the file above says a lot of Graham Buss Version 4 family tree. This is as I said the name of my project which has the last date used of 01/01/70.
I have managed to open a backup file from My Documents and this opens except of course it has no photos of my relations as the original has.
I have found a copy I made some while ago onto a DVD and this open ok with all the photos in place. I took a copy and placed this copy back to the C drive but this comes up with the same words as above as it will not open.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

If you look in that folder on your PC is the gedcom file in there with the correct name? or is there another file in there with a slightly different name?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Did you look at the how_to:v4:understanding_projects#project_structure|- Understanding Projects - Project Structure and compare it with your Graham Buss Version 4 Family Tree Project?

Open Windows Explorer ( via Start > Documents ) and drill down to:
C:\Documents and Settings\Graham\My Documents\Family Historian Projects\Graham Buss Version 4 Family Tree\Graham Buss Version 4 Family Tree.fh_data\
It should contain a few folders and your Gedcom File, but FH says this file is not found:
GrahamBuss.png
GrahamBuss.png (26.44 KiB) Viewed 10932 times
What Gedcom File is there?

All your photos should be within the Media folder.

As explained in the glossary:backup_and_recovery|- Backup and Recovery - Restoring your Family History Data the backup file is just a copy of your Gedcom File without the Media folder photos.
If as described there, you restore the backup to C:\Documents and Settings\Graham\My Documents\Family Historian Projects\Graham Buss Version 4 Family Tree\Graham Buss Version 4 Family Tree.fh_data\ then the photos should be OK.

Exactly where on the C: drive did you place the DVD copy?
GrahamAB
Gold

Post by GrahamAB »

I followed your instructions exactly and when I got to the folder "Graham Buss Version 4 Family Tree.fh_data" I found an old dated file stating Graham Buss Version 4 Family Tree.fh_proj by the side of the folder. Underneath it says Family History Project File. I tried to open this file but again the same result. No gedcom file found.
I clicked on folder named above "Graham Buss Version 4 Family Tree.fh_data" and there is my Media file with all my photos in it.
The copy from the DVD I put in My Documents by placing it into a new folder. It only shows as Family History Project File and again opens the Family Historian but goes straight to "Unable to open file C:\Documents and Settings\Graham\My Documents\Family Historian Projects\Graham Buss Version 4 Family Tree\Graham Buss Version 4 Family Tree.fh_data\Graham Buss Version 4 Family Tree. ged. File not found".
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I repeat, if you look at the how_to:v4:understanding_projects#project_structure|- Understanding Projects - Project Structure and compare it with your Graham Buss Version 4 Family Tree Project you will see that every project should have a {{projectname}}.fh_proj file?
Just look at your other projects, and see how they all follow the same Project structure scheme.

Unfortunately, you did not answer the question about what Gedcom File is alongside the Media folder, as shown in my screenshot?
I know your Windows Explorer display is slightly different, because you have chosen Contents mode, rather than Details mode, but the info is much the same.

Did you follow the glossary:backup_and_recovery|- Backup and Recovery - Restoring your Family History Data advice to restore your backup file?

Putting the DVD copy directly in the My Documents folder will not work.
It has to go into the My Documents\Family Historian Projects\ folder and has to be the complete project folder structure as explained in the how_to:v4:understanding_projects#project_structure|- Understanding Projects - Project Structure.
If you only copy the Gedcom File it will NOT appear in the Project Window.

I could go through the instructions to use the Project Window > More Tasks > Copy Project option to copy the DVD project to your My Documents\Family Historian Projects\ folder, but I don't think that is necessary.
Just take some time to study the Knowledge Base articles, by clicking on their orange links, and answer the questions above.