* XP v4.1.3 to W 7 v5.0

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
JohnC
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

XP v4.1.3 to W 7 v5.0

Post by JohnC »

Hi
I would appreciate anyones guidance to help me move FH etc files between old/new machines

From > xp FH v4.1.3 & Gedcom Census
To > Window 7 (64 bit)v 5.0 (new CD) and Ancestral Sources

I can load v 4.0 (from cd)on the new machine but can't upgrade to 4.1.3 (it proposes v 5.0) or I could load v 5.0 (from cd)
I can't load v5.0 on the old machine as the CD drive is u/s

Any general guidance would be appreciated - including how to ensure that 'everything is copied over'
What FH etc software is best to install onto the new machine before I use (I assume) Widows Easy Transfer ?

Regards

John C

ID:6197
PeterR
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

XP v4.1.3 to W 7 v5.0

Post by PeterR »

Please see this: http://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id ... e_settings
and other useful pages in the FHUG Knowledge Base (4th item in Main Menu at left).
tatewise
Megastar

XP v4.1.3 to W 7 v5.0

Post by tatewise »

As Peter says, use the How To Move Family Historian Settings.

In particular I advise, using Windows Easy Transfer (WET) that will not only transfer FH settings & data, but also all your other settings & data, accounts, E-mail, etc, etc, with many options to change account names, etc.
You will need to install Windows Easy Transfer for XP on your old PC, either from USB pen-drive or Internet Download.

If you have a Broadband Router with at least two Ethernet cable sockets, then you can cable connect both the old PC and new PC to the Router at the same time, albeit temporarily.
Then WET can copy all it needs from old PC to new PC via the Router without needing to mess about with USB drives, CD, DVD, etc.

WET should also cope with the different FH Program Data Folder locations on XP and Win 7.

Then when all transferred OK, install the FH V5 CD on Win 7, and it will upgrade your FH data as necessary.
Also simply install Ancestral Sources (64-bit) on Win 7. There is no need to worry about Gedcom Census.

If there are any details that WET does not transfer, then transfer them piecemeal via USB pen-drive.
JohnC
Silver

XP v4.1.3 to W 7 v5.0

Post by JohnC »

Many thanks for your help

Does FH need to be installed on the new machine before carrting out the WET operation ? If so, will FH 4.0 be ok albeit v 4.1.3 is on the old machine ?

And is the WET operation a one and only event, or can you have more bites at the cherry & be selective on what is transferred each time ?

Thank you again

Kind Regards

John C
tatewise
Megastar

XP v4.1.3 to W 7 v5.0

Post by tatewise »

No, you do NOT need to install FH on the new PC before using WET.
It does not matter what version of FH is on the old PC.
After using WET, when you install FH V5 on the new PC the FH data will be updated for FH V5.

WET is very flexible with lots of options, and can be run more than once.

Follow the link to WET in the Move Family Historian Settings or visit Windows Easy Transfer.
Review all the WET advice and FAQ and watch the tutorial video.
JohnC
Silver

XP v4.1.3 to W 7 v5.0

Post by JohnC »

Thank you again
I'll give it a go

Kind Regards

John C
JohnC
Silver

XP v4.1.3 to W 7 v5.0

Post by JohnC »

Thank you very much for your guidance - it worked beautifully with no (apparent) problems

I note that my working Gedcom file & media folder seems to have ended up in My Documents/Family Historian Projects folder (on my old machine it was in a folder created for all my personal documents) - I guess I need to backup the Family Historian Folder as well as my original personal folder. But are there any other FH files scattered around that need backing up (including those associated with the new (to me) Ancestry Search add-on ?

Many thanks again

Regards

John C
JohnC
Silver

XP v4.1.3 to W 7 v5.0

Post by JohnC »

Should have said Ancestral Sources ...
tatewise
Megastar

XP v4.1.3 to W 7 v5.0

Post by tatewise »

I am not quite sure what personal folders you are referring to as you don't give any names.

If on XP FH V4.1.3 you were using the V4 Project structure, rather than standalone GEDCOM, then the default folder would have been My DocumentsFamily Historian Projects, unless you changed it.
WET would have simply copied this across to Windows 7 unless you instructed it differently.

When FH V5 is installed it defaults to using My DocumentsFamily Historian Projects.
But if you usually open FH by double-clicking your GEDCOM.ged file (or a shortcut to it) then FH will open it in whatever folder it occupies.

If you can give a bit more detail about the folders you now have on Windows 7 and how you open FH with your GEDCOM, we can better advise how to proceed.

The how to Move Family Historian Settings gives advice on what needs backing up.
Also there is a Plugin from the Tools > Plugins > Plugin Store... called Backup Family Historian Settings that helps.

Not sure what you mean by Ancestry Search.
In your original posting you mention Gedcom Census and its replacement Ancestral Sources.
Is that that new add-on you are talking about?
JohnC
Silver

XP v4.1.3 to W 7 v5.0

Post by JohnC »

I have always put all my own files in a 'Files J' folder within My Documents and copied these regularily to an external drive
On the xp machine, the FH gedcom file was also there
When I installed FH v5.0 on this new W7 computer, I accepted the defailt location within My Documents (Family Historian Projects)

But this prompted me to ask what other FH (or Ancestry Search) related files should also be backed up

The C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataCalico PieFamily Historian data was not copied over during the WET transfer, so I need to get that into the right place on the W7 machine (C:ProgramDataCalico PieFamily Historian. )

So in addition to my 'Files J' folder, I need to back up the FH Projects folder & the Calico Pie folders

Do you think that covers it ?

Regards

John C
Jane
Site Admin

XP v4.1.3 to W 7 v5.0

Post by Jane »

You can just move the project folder in to J folder and then change the location on the Project window.
tatewise
Megastar

XP v4.1.3 to W 7 v5.0

Post by tatewise »

You didn't say if you were using the V4 Project structure, rather than standalone GEDCOM, but I assume the latter.

If you persist in using the My DocumentsFiles J folder, then the My DocumentsFamily Historian Projects folder is redundant and won't need backup-up.
HOWEVER, I would strongly advise adopting the V4/V5 Project structure, otherwise many new features are not available, including better backup/copy options.
If you do so, then My DocumentsFamily Historian Projects folder needs backup and your My DocumentsFiles J folder will not.

I am disappointed that WET did not transfer C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataCalico PieFamily Historian appropriately.
It might be lurking in C:UsersAll UsersCalico PieFamily Historian.
FH V5 will have created default C:ProgramDataCalico PieFamily Historian folders.
It would have been better to have sorted that out before installing FH V5, because now you have to take care not to upset FH V5 files when copying your Custom files.
This is further complicated if you have customised Standard files.
Perhaps you could advise what you have customised.

Don't forget the Backup Family Historian Settings Plugin that will help.
However, there are still plenty of Tools > Preferences settings in the Windows Registry that you cannot backup.
You may want to check if WET transferred these settings across OK or not.

The only residual data associated with Gedcom Census is its GEDCOM Backups.
If the data has been checked OK in FH, then these Backups are of no further use.

Ancestral Sources creates its own database of Templates, Settings, and Backups, which also need to be backed-up.
JohnC
Silver

XP v4.1.3 to W 7 v5.0

Post by JohnC »

A search of the new C Drive did find the C:ProgramDataCalico PieFamily Historian folder (though it wasn't visible in the root directory listing in Computer > C Drive). The date on this folder is before I did the WETransfer, so it looks like it was brought over successfully

I've done very little customization, so there isn't a problem

I'm happy using the default My DocumentsFamily Historian Projects folder as you recommend, and will modify the scope of my backup routine accordingly

Many thanks for guiding me through all of this, it's much appeciated

Kind Regards

John C
tatewise
Megastar

XP v4.1.3 to W 7 v5.0

Post by tatewise »

I am relieved that WET appears to have copied the Calico PieFamily Historian folder after-all.
This will be useful confirmation of the benefits of using WET for other users.
It is often a Hidden folder as mentioned in the Notes of Family Historian Program Data Folder.

A further check that WET worked correctly would be if there are any of your files in any of the following folders:
C:ProgramDataCalico PieFamily HistorianDiagramsCustom
C:ProgramDataCalico PieFamily HistorianFact TypesCustom
C:ProgramDataCalico PieFamily HistorianQueriesCustom
C:ProgramDataCalico PieFamily HistorianReportsCustom
C:ProgramDataCalico PieFamily HistorianText SchemesCustom
PeterR
Megastar

XP v4.1.3 to W 7 v5.0

Post by PeterR »

tatewise said:
I am disappointed that WET did not transfer C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataCalico PieFamily Historian appropriately.
I will soon be migrating from XP on my old laptop to Windows 7 on a new one, and have had an initial play with Windows Easy Transfer for Windows 7 (version 6.1.7600.16385).  Unless I'm much mistaken, the only Application Data folder that would be transferred by default is C:Documents and SettingsPeterApplication DataMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick Launch.

I think it is possible to manually alter the selection so that the vital Calico Pie folder is included in the transfer.

In any case I shall be using tatewise's V5 Plugin Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings.