* Where does FH store its settings?

Older V3 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
gripp
Gold
Family Historian: None

Where does FH store its settings?

Post by gripp »

I recently transferred FH to a new PC but was unable to find where FH stored the customisation of my diagrams. Consequently I was running back and forth between two computers trying to get the diagrams to get them to look the same. Where is this customisation held?

Nor can I understand why FH puts loads of stuff into C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataCalico Pie IN ADDITION to using subs off the FH program folder.

Surely it would be easier if all the customisation were kept in subdirectories of the main FH program?

ID:2167
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Post by Jane »

See
http://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id ... e_settings

Microsoft frown on storing settings in the program files folder, and I understand that Vista may actively prevent it. As I stated in an earlier post, since 2.3 the files in the programs files folder are there to restore installation settings only and are not changed during the normal running of the program. They are only written to when the program is installed or upgraded.

Personally I always backup the whole of document and settings anyway.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
gripp
Gold
Family Historian: None

Post by gripp »

Thanks Jane.