* Underline 'No Children'

Older V3 Queries please post for any version in the General Forum
aragorn
Famous
Family Historian: None

Underline 'No Children'

Post by aragorn »

I used to know how to do this!!
I want to have a thick black line under any individual who has no children (in a diagram),can someone please remind me how to do it!
Thanks in advance.[grin]

ID:4782
PeterR
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Underline 'No Children'

Post by PeterR »

In Diagram Options (General) you need to tick the box for 'No-offspring marker'.  The Options... button provides additional information about this and allows you to control the appearance of the line.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
Jane
Site Admin

Underline 'No Children'

Post by Jane »

Also remember this is controlled by the Number of Children count field not the number of children attached to the family record.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
aragorn
Famous

Underline 'No Children'

Post by aragorn »

I have put in 0 in the facts but cannot find a child count field.I remember it in the 'old' versions but cannot find it in V4
Jane
Site Admin

Underline 'No Children'

Post by Jane »

You can either pop it in on the All tab, or add the field to one of your tabs on the Property Box. It's on the old details tab in V3.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
aragorn
Famous

Underline 'No Children'

Post by aragorn »

Sorry,I am being dim today!
I have ticked the 'no offspring' marker.
I am using V4 and on going to the ALL tab how do I add the count of children field?
I have a child count field that I added using the ADD FACT button and put in 0 but still no line is showing up under the individual.
Amm I still doing something wrong?
aragorn
Famous

Underline 'No Children'

Post by aragorn »

Also,if I go back to the old V3 details tab do I not lose what I have in the V4 details tab?
aragorn
Famous

Underline 'No Children'

Post by aragorn »

I have now managed to to get a line to appear but it is under the wrong individual!
I put the child count in for the husband and the line appeared under the wife!
I want to show the line under an individual who had no children and did not marry.
aragorn
Famous

Underline 'No Children'

Post by aragorn »

I think I have sussed it out now,Thanks!!
aragorn
Famous

Underline 'No Children'

Post by aragorn »

How do I now get back to V4 settings from V3 compatibility?
gbrowne
Diamond

Underline 'No Children'

Post by gbrowne »

I would also like to enable this rather useful indicator. I have set the 'No Offspring' marker in Diagram Options/General.
Display Spouse in own box is ticked, but I am not getting the marker under an infant death (I have tried re-drawing the diagram).

I am obviously doing something wrong - any ideas anyone please ?

Geoff.
gbrowne
Diamond

Underline 'No Children'

Post by gbrowne »

Sorry, I should explain a little better - I can get the line ok if I manually add an attribute Child Count and set it to 0. What I want is a query to automatically go through and find all persons with no children and then create and set the attribute. Is that possible - surely FH already knows how many children a person has ?

Cheers,
G.
tatewise
Megastar

Underline 'No Children'

Post by tatewise »

For more details, see the thread No offspring marker v4:
http://www.fhug.org.uk/cgi-bin/index.cg ... y&num=4369

Yes 'FH already knows how many children a person has' but that does not mean they had no offspring.
It only means your research has not discovered any children yet.
The Individual Child Count Attribute = 0 and the Family Count of Children = 0 are intended to record where conclusively there were no offspring.

It is certainly possible to create a Query to list all Individuals with no Children, but it is not possible to automatically create Attributes from that.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
gbrowne
Diamond

Underline 'No Children'

Post by gbrowne »

Thanks.

Maybe I am getting confused with the semantics of 'children' vs 'offspring' but basically it would be great if FH detected cases for example where a person died under (say) 16 years old and marked the person with a black underline. Even better if it could do the same for cases where there is no (currently) known children/offspring for a person. If children/offspring were later added the line could disappear ?

Cheers,
Geoff.
tatewise
Megastar

Underline 'No Children'

Post by tatewise »

I am not sure why you need a No Offspring Line when there is no children.
On Diagrams you can see there are no children, because there are no child boxes attached.
NickWalker
Megastar

Underline 'No Children'

Post by NickWalker »

tatewise said:
I am not sure why you need a No Offspring Line when there is no children.
On Diagrams you can see there are no children, because there are no child boxes attached.
The difference is that a 'no offspring line' shows they didn't have children, whereas a box with no child boxes attached just shows that you haven't recorded any children. This may be because they never had children or perhaps you haven't found any children yet in your research, or you've not recorded them yet, etc.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
tatewise
Megastar

Underline 'No Children'

Post by tatewise »

Sorry Nick, you have misunderstood the point.
Geoff wanted FH to automatically draw a No Offspring Line whenever there were no children in its database.
But it is obvious in Diagrams when there are no children, so an automatic No Offspring Line is superfluous.
gbrowne
Diamond

Underline 'No Children'

Post by gbrowne »

To clarify,

I just think it would be good if there was an option for FH to mark anyone who hasn't any children/offspring (yet) attached to be underlined. The line would then disappear as soon as a child/offspring was attached.

Having to go through and add a child count attribute manually seems a tad clumsy for such an otherwise all-encompassing application ?.

Cheers,
Geoff.
gerrynuk
Megastar
Family Historian: V6

Underline 'No Children'

Post by gerrynuk »

I think you have to be very careful about the definition of 'No offspring' Either it means that a person never had children OR that you haven't found any children for them. It cannot mean both otherwise confusion will reign.

I think it is always dangerous to assume that a person had no children unless they died before they were capable of having children. There are many cases of women who had to hide a pregnancy and then give up their child for adoption. And who was the father - will we ever find out? And have you marked the father as having no children because he wasn't married to the mother and never admitted to having children?

For this reason I would not want FH to have 'No offspring' as the default.

Gerry
Jane
Site Admin

Underline 'No Children'

Post by Jane »

If you want to add something, why not just set a flag and use that to condition a box type or icon to mark people who you have not entered children for.
Jane
tatewise
Megastar

Underline 'No Children'

Post by tatewise »

At the risk of being repetitive may I summarise the points.

What is being requested is an AUTOMATIC no children marker in Diagrams when there are no children recorded.
Therefore, MANUALLY setting Child Count = 0 or adding a Flag is not the desired answer, because when a child is found the manual setting must be undone.

Having said that, an AUTOMATIC marker is redundant, because in Diagrams you can see at a glance that there are no children.
There are no child boxes connected to the individual, so it is obvious they have no children, so why is a marker needed as well?
The lack of child boxes is the no children marker.
gbrowne
Diamond

Underline 'No Children'

Post by gbrowne »

Well, I was actually talking about an OPTION to have it automatically underline people with no offspring and automatically remove the underline if/when children are added.

Cheers,
Geoff.
tatewise
Megastar

Underline 'No Children'

Post by tatewise »

But how would that underline add information to the Diagram when there are automatically no child boxes clearly indicating there are no children recorded.
When you add children, then the child boxes automatically appear.
gbrowne
Diamond

Underline 'No Children'

Post by gbrowne »

The underline would show that your research has conclusively proven that the person did not have children (for example a child death) or an adult who you know for certain never had children. Since it is safer to assume there were no children until you find some, I'm suggesting we could have an option to automatically mark them as childless (with the line) until a child is attached ?

G.
gerrynuk
Megastar
Family Historian: V6

Underline 'No Children'

Post by gerrynuk »

gbrowne said:
 Since it is safer to assume there were no children until you find some, I'm suggesting we could have an option to automatically mark them as childless (with the line) until a child is attached ?

G.
Whilst I can understand your reasoning my recollection from dealing with an intestate estate is that the assumption is that a person did have children (who therefore might be entitled to a share of the estate) unless there is reasonable evidence to the contrary. This of course raises the problem that except in limited circumstances (e.g. too young or medically unable to have children) you can never prove that a person didn't have children, only that they did!

My approach therefore is to leave matters unresolved and not use the 'No offspring marker' unless I have strong evidence that there were no children.

Your suggestion that the default position should be that FH shows a marker until children are found is, I believe, misleading unless the marker becomes 'No children found', which then clearly flags up that researches are on-going, or at least incomplete.

The ability of FH to set flags and change the appearance of diagrams depending on the existence of flags does, I believe, provide the best way for you to proceed.

Gerry