* Marital status on census

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
philjo
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Marital status on census

Post by philjo »

Is there a way to record the Marital status from Census entries via Gedcom Census?

I don't usually record this for single/married people, but I do find that it is useful to record this information where the person concerned is a widow/widower, as it is often found from using this information that their spouse has died during the 10 years since the previous census.
At the moment, I put this into a Note field for the relevant census event for that person.

Jeremy

ID:2013
ChrisBowyer
Superstar
Family Historian: None

Marital status on census

Post by ChrisBowyer »

We would record this as a death of the spouse, (e.g. died before 1871), with a source reference to the census.
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Marital status on census

Post by NickWalker »

Marital status can be recorded in the Source Text as usual but Gedcom Census doesn't have a facility to create an event to record death of a spouse. It would be a bit of an add-on to do this as the person who died obviously isn't one of the people you have selected for the census.

It is a fairly easy process to just go into family historian, add a death event to the person and link to the census source that was created by Gedcom Census.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
philjo
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Marital status on census

Post by philjo »

Nick,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I'll continue to put a note in the source record for the person listed as a widow, then put a date of death with a 10-year range for the spouse until I find their actual death/burial details.

Jeremy
Tombaston
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Marital status on census

Post by Tombaston »

When using the census as a source for a death event I change the certainty assessment from Primary Evidence to Questionable. It doesn't prove their death. I have at least one bigamous ancestor where his first wife records herself as a widow when he is living with a second wife ten miles away.
Regards

Dave
ChrisBowyer
Superstar
Family Historian: None

Marital status on census

Post by ChrisBowyer »

We have a few recorded as 'wife' when we know they're not married... But are censuses ever Primary?... they are after all the enumerator's interpretation of the householder's form, often (apparently) filled in by the children if they went to school and the parents probably didn't. Personally I never bother with assesments. I think the important thing is to record the source, and let anyone else make up their own mind about the reliability of it.