* Link to File

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
steveabye

Link to File

Post by steveabye »

Nick,

Every time I click on the Link to File button it opens in a different file location. I.E. entered info for Dad smith, go through the process to enter Census image. Next enter info for uncle Smith click on link image button and box opens in Jones folder. Not a great problem but when entering loads of info for one family line does get a bit annoying.

Using WIN98se, GEDcom 6.0.6 and FH 3.1.2.

Steve

ID:2967
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Link to File

Post by NickWalker »

Hi Steve

I made an assumption that most people organise their multimedia by having all their census images in one folder, their certificates in another, etc. and that generally within the census folder there are probably sub-folders for each census country and/or year.

Gedcom Census remembers the image folder you choose for each country and year so that, for example, next time you are creating a UK 1851 census entry it automatically opens with the image folder you last selected a UK 1851 census image from. This is actually very useful and makes selecting images much quicker (I speak from experience).

However, in your case it appears you save all the census images related to a particular surname in one folder and so this system of remembering the census country/year location just doesn't work for you. When it defaults again to the Jones folder it is because last time you selected a census image for that year it was in the Jones folder. I will aim to make it an option to turn off this Gedcom Census feature in the next version.

I've not come across this method of arranging multimedia images before. What do you do if you have a census image that has both Jones and Smith family members on it, either in the same household or next door to each other?

Cheers

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Stevebye
Superstar
Family Historian: V6

Link to File

Post by Stevebye »

Hi Nick,

My system is totally unconventional but it works for me....and that's what matters [smile]

I save my Census records by Year, Husband and Wife format in a Surname folder. If there is another line of a Smith family then I add the place name, in County, Town, Street format, in shortened version.

Smith folder;
1881 Census John Smith and Ann Bell.
If Husband dies first then it becomes
1891 Census Ann Smith nee Bell.

If wife maiden name not known;

1881 Census John Smith and Ann NK Sry Sut Ldn Rd
1881 Census John Smith and Ann NK Sry Sut Chm Rd

If Smith and Jones on same Census I save a copy to each folder.

Surname folders are built up from two root folders DAD and MUM

DAD
ADAMS
BAll
CORK
and so on....

Today I was enetering all the census info for the Cork's but when trying to load the image it was opening in the Adam, Ball or any folder the program seemed to feel like.

Thank for microsoft allowing long file names. When I started using computers file names could only be eight characters !!! [wink]
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Link to File

Post by NickWalker »

Stevebye said:
Today I was entering all the census info for the Cork's but when trying to load the image it was opening in the Adam, Ball or any folder the program seemed to feel like.
If, for example, the last UK 1871 census entry had an image in the Ball folder then it would open within that folder the next time. After you have then saved a UK 1871 census image into the Cork folder then it should open in that folder the next time. I can see why this would look random but it is actually quite logical!

Anyway as I mentioned, in the next version I'll make it an option you can select for Gedcom Census to not remember the folder for each census year/date which should solve this problem for you.

Cheers

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
steveabye

Link to File

Post by steveabye »

Thanks Nick.
Looking forward to the next release.
jmurphy
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Link to File

Post by jmurphy »

Nick Walker said:
I've not come across this method of arranging multimedia images before. What do you do if you have a census image that has both Jones and Smith family members on it, either in the same household or next door to each other?
I think many people start out with Steve's method of arranging images by the surname they belong to. If you read articles on 'how to organize' they often recommend that you keep your paper binders / files by surname, and it seems logical at first to organize your digital files in the same manner.

But eventually one has to ask, what does happen when you have two surnames on the same census page or other source document -- what do you do then?

Making double or triple (or more) copies of everything is cumbersome, whether you are using paper or bits, and in the case of the computer, it is not necessary, since the computer can simply point to the one copy of the file you need, as many times as you need a pointer.

Thus I have switched over to sorting out both my images and my screen-captures your way, organizing them as much as possible by what source they came from.

More and more, I search by source rather than globally, so it makes it much easier to find out what I have already found in that source if I have things organized your way.

Thanks, Nick!

Jan