* Newbie to GC

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
miffywebb
Diamond
Family Historian: None

Newbie to GC

Post by miffywebb »

This program looks great and I am looking forward to getting going with it.  I am probably being a bit daft but I am unsure which file to open for GC to use, is it the last backup that FH made? I have read the post about saving in FH & GC but Im still unsure which file is my starting block.  Thanks[confused]

ID:3034
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Newbie to GC

Post by Jane »

Just open your main file, as you are just getting started I would backup up your file first so you can practice.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Newbie to GC

Post by NickWalker »

Hi Miffy

The idea is that you can have the same file open in Family Historian and Gedcom Census at the same time. You might add a couple of people to Family Historian then save the file. Gedcom Census will then spot the file has been saved and will reload the data. You might perhaps then create a census entry in GC. When you select the Family Historian window again it will reload the file with the new census entry in, and so on. It works well as long as you remember to save the changes in Family Historian before making the census entry.

Hope that makes sense

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
miffywebb
Diamond
Family Historian: None

Newbie to GC

Post by miffywebb »

WOW    i am really finding this program amazing, it took me a while to get to grips with it if Im honest, but thats just me not the program.  I did a copy file to play with as suggested and gradually got going.  Thanks for a really FAB addition to a brilliant Family Historian program.  [smile][smile][smile]