* Gedcom nbsp;Census record not appearing

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
Moira
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Gedcom nbsp;Census record not appearing

Post by Moira »

Can someone please help.

I have recently upgraded to V4 and am very impressed with it.

However today I entered a census on the Gedcom Census as I have done many times in the past. However this time the entries are not appearing on the individual records after I have saved them.

Where did I go wrong?
Moira[frown]

ID:4098
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by NickWalker »

To quote from the FAQs:
10. I have version 4 of Family Historian. Gedcom census doesn't now seem to recognise the new people I've added to my file or census entries I'm adding do not appear in Family Historian

Family Historian 4 has probably created a project and copied your GEDCOM file into it. You need to let Gedcom Census know where this new file is. Carry out the following 3 steps in Gedcom Census:

a) Make sure in menu Tools->Options that 'Always ask whether this file should be loaded as default' is ticked.

b) Now go to File->Open another GEDCOM family history file

c) Within the Open dialogue that appears navigate to your Documents folder ('My Documents' if not using Vista or Windows 7) and then into the 'Family Historian Projects' folder. Now navigate into the project you are using and then into the subfolder that has the same name as the project but ends in .fh_data. Select the GEDCOM file in there and all should now work!
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Moira
Gold

Post by Moira »

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. My system is Vista Home Premium.

I have tried to ensure that I have done as you requested but when trying to save the census entry I get the following message:-

Gedcom Census was unable to add a log entry for this record to the log file
c:Users|Moira|documentsGedcom Census Backups & Logcensuslog.txt

Can you please help me again as I am at a loss.

Thank you

Moira
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Is it possible that you've deleted the 'Gedcom Census Backups and Log' folder from your documents folder? If so can you create it again. I believe it should be named exactly as I've written above.
Nick Walker

Moira
Gold

Post by Moira »

I do have the folder called 'Gedcom Census Backup and Logs' folder when I open it on any of the saved items it always just opens FH4 at the opening page. (Some of the files are over 1 year old.)

I have checked the ones I attempted yesterday and when I go into FH4 and select the appropriate people there is no sign of the census record.

Thank you again

Moira
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Can you try adding a new individual to your file in Family Historian (you can always delete them again later), save the file and then open in Gedcom Census and confirm they appear in the list of individuals?

Thanks

Nick
Nick Walker

Moira
Gold

Post by Moira »

I have done as you asked and when I opened Gedcom Census the new individual does not appear.

Moira
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Hi Moira

This means that you're not looking at the same file in Gedcom Census that you're using in Family Historian as I said in my first reply. The instructions I mentioned earlier should fix this: In Gedcom Census:

a) Make sure in menu Tools->Options that 'Always ask whether this file should be loaded as default' is ticked.

b) Now go to File->Open another GEDCOM family history file

c) Within the Open dialogue that appears navigate to your Documents folder and then into the 'Family Historian Projects' folder. Now navigate into the project you are using and then into the subfolder that has the same name as the project but ends in .fh_data. Select the GEDCOM file in there and the file should load and you should see the new person you added.

If you still don't see the individual then in Family Historian can you select File->File Statistics and let me know the File Name it reports, this is the file you should be opening in Gedcom Census. E.g. on my PC it is:
File Name: D:UsersNickDocumentsFamily Historian ProjectsWalkerWalker.fh_dataWalker.ged
Nick Walker

Moira
Gold

Post by Moira »

Thank you Nick especially for your patience.

I have done what you ask and this time I can see the new individual I added.

I still do not have the census info I did the other day so shall I make sure I am in the correct project and redo the census?

Thank you

Moira
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Assuming when you open the file you choose to always open it by default then that will be the one opened every time and it should work as expected from now on. Yes you'll have to reenter the census entries you added as you added them to your old FH v3 file rather than the new one in your project folder.
Nick Walker

Moira
Gold

Post by Moira »

Thank you very much
Moira