* Images and relative addressing

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
martinpbudd
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Images and relative addressing

Post by martinpbudd »

I had a lot of issues with images in my project folder which was caused by absolute addressing. This arose when I bought a laptop and the directory structures to the Project folders was slightly different between the laptop and the desktop. All the images are in the Media folder in a logical structure so a quick remap in FH4 sorted out the need to remap every time I synchronised the two computers.

Now GC6 cannot see the images. It knows they are there by name, presumably because I have added them in FH4, ready to be logged. I can attach the file using GC6 (I guess it is reading this from the gedcom) but cannot view the image presumably because it now does not know the root of the relative structure.

Luckily I have a dual monitor desktop so can run FH4 in one side and GC6 on the other and can therefore view the census image in FH4.

Is there a fix/hack I can use so that GC6 can see the images properly without going back to absolute addresses? I did try pointing GC to the image but ended up with double entries, my relative addressed and GC's absolute addressed.

ID:4178
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

The new replacement for Gedcom Census that I'm writing fully supports the new version 4 relative addressing but Gedcom Census doesn't because it was released quite a long time before version 4. You could add images in Gedcom Census (rather than adding them first in FH as multimedia) and then do a search/replace by opening up your file in a text editor, e.g.:

Find:
1 _File C:UsersFredDocumentsFamily Historian ProjectsMyTreeMyTree.fh_dataMedia
Replace with:
1 _FILE Media

Alternatively you could just not bother linking the image in Gedcom Census and just manually link it to the source later or continue to put up with not being able to preview the image in Gedcom Census.

Cheers

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
martinpbudd
Gold

Post by martinpbudd »

Thanks, Nick.

I liked the way GC linked the images with FH3 so I wanted to keep that process as it is the one I know. I can still link the file, I just can't view it so I'll stick with my dual screen approach until the new version comes out....

As a matter of interest, when are you planning to release it?

Regards, Martin
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Martin Budd said:
As a matter of interest, when are you planning to release it?
I'm a bit reluctant to say when it will be released but I'd be disappointed if I'm not beta testing it sometime in January.
Nick Walker

DeeJay1
Gold
Family Historian: None

Post by DeeJay1 »

The way I get around the relative addressing is to have the images I want to link placed in the Media directory. I then use GC in the normal way. When it has completed, I move the images to the correct directories which sit under the Media directory. I then use Work with External File Links in FH4 to find the moved images. This sets the absolute file links to relative ones.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Thanks DeeJay1, yes that sounds like a neater solution.

I don't really see why Family Historian can't automatically make an absolute path to the Media folder in a project into a relative path, it would probably take less than 5 mins for Calico to progam this. There are parts of Family Historian (on the records window) which still create absolute paths rather than relative and just this simple addition to the program would solve all these problems.
Nick Walker