* Retrieval of Source Text

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
Castleford
Gold
Family Historian: None

Retrieval of Source Text

Post by Castleford »

Very new both to FHistorian and Gedcom Census, but have managed to load both and done my first couple of census entries, I think ok.  However, am curious to know if it is possible to retrieve the Source Text entry which includes everyone in the relevant household, not just those family members logged into Historian.  Have tried pressing various buttons but no luck so far.  Can anyone help?

Thanks, Helen [smile]

ID:4700
PeterR
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Retrieval of Source Text

Post by PeterR »

Helen,
Welcome!
I would recommend Nick Walker's Ancestral Sources which includes many improvements from his earlier Gedcom Census.  Whichever product you use, if you use the appropriate options and the Auto-text feature, the Source Text information should be attached to the corresponding Source record in FH.  There are various ways to display the Source record: you could start from the Sources tab of the Records window, or from the Sources pane of the Individual Property box:
The button with the yellow triangle will go to the Source record.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
Castleford
Gold

Retrieval of Source Text

Post by Castleford »

Peter - thanks for the welcome.  Ok - have tried clicking on the yellow triangle - but that only gives me the family from my Family Historian file, not the 2 servants and the lodgers which I also entered into the original Source Text.  These are the people I am curious to know whether I can retrieve from somewhere.  Occasionally these odds and sods turn out to be relevant!

Also, as I am so new to the Gedcom Census learning curve, would I be better to switch to Ancestral Sources now, rather than later?  I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks, Helen[smile]
PeterR
Megastar

Retrieval of Source Text

Post by PeterR »

Helen,
If the extra names and associated details were entered in the Source Text field in Gedcom Census, then they must be in the Text From Source field on the Source record in FH.  Did you either (a) expand the Source property box to ensure the Text From Source field was big enough to display all its text, or (b) scroll down the Text From Source field to see the extra details?

I would definitely start with Ancestral Sources straight away - there is no point in delaying - and you might as well get on to the newer learning curve sooner rather than later.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
Castleford
Gold

Retrieval of Source Text

Post by Castleford »

If Ancestral Sources is a better alternative than slitting my throat which is what I feel like doing now, I will give it a try!  This afternoon I have entered another census record (1851)and have been able to see the extra (non-family) residents in the source record, no problem, so maybe I did not enter them properly for the 1841 version.  Thought I had also cleverly added nice image of 1851 census but there is a glitch.  Need a glass of wine, and will have another go later.  thanks again for your patience, Helen  [cry]
NickWalker
Megastar

Retrieval of Source Text

Post by NickWalker »

Gedcom Census is effectively now obsolete and has been replaced by Ancestral Sources. Please read all about it here:

Ancestral Sources v1.0 and watch the video which it links to.

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Castleford
Gold

Retrieval of Source Text

Post by Castleford »

Thank you for that, Nick - so new I didn't realise that should have gone straight to Ancestral. It's been a long day, so will download that tomorrow when am feeling fresh. Do I clear/delete the Gedcom Census entries (only 2) and if so, how do I do this, before starting again? Am not going to be beaten by this . . . !

Helen
Jane
Site Admin

Retrieval of Source Text

Post by Jane »

Helen, you don't need to remove what you have done in GC, AS will take over and you can continue entering all your new census information using it.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."