* Report sources not showing some fields

Questions about Generic and Templated Sources within FH and their associated Citations and Repositories
Kerryb
Family Historian: V7

Report sources not showing some fields

Post by Kerryb »

I have produced a Ancestors by Generation report from information inputted on a tree and I have added sources which includes information such as Collection and URL but these fields are not showing on my report Sources. How can I add these fields to show on the Sources so that I don't have to go through and add them to 55 sources individually? Thank you
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Report sources not showing some fields

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to your first FHUG posting Kerry.

It sounds like you are using Templated Sources with Fields such as Collection and URL.

In FH V7 Reports the Sources section lists the Footnotes as specified by the Source Template Definitions.
So to include specific Fields they must be specified in the Footnote Format template.

The same concept applies to the Bibliography section and the Bibliography Format template.

Specific Source Templated Fields cannot easily be included in Reports any other way.

Thus you need to use Tools > Source Template Definitions... and edit the Format templates as necessary.
Don't forget to use the Compare/Sinc with Source Template Record... button to update your Project.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Kerryb

Post by Kerryb »

Thank you Tatewise, that makes clearer what I am working with. Unfortunately though Collection and URL are standard and therefore not editable. So it looks like I am going to have to go and edit each citation individually anyway. Never mind.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Please explain your problem in more detail.

You say "Unfortunately though Collection and URL are standard and therefore not editable."
I don't understand what you mean. They are Fields defined in the Source Template Definition.
You add their values to the Source record, not the Citation.

Editing each Citation will not make those values appear in the Sources list of Footnotes.

Let me explain what I think you are referring to by using the screenshot below and offering a solution.
Use Tools > Source Template Definitions... and choose Collection: Essentials and Template: Census Return.
Click the View/Edit... button to see the Collection and URL fields that I've highlighted.
They do not appear in the Footnote Format: template so will not appear in the Report Sources list.
Because this is a standard FH Source Template you cannot edit its details.
So, instead of the View/Edit... button use the Clone... button to create a Custom copy you can edit.
Then View/Edit... will let you add Collection and URL to the Footnote Format: template.
The cloned custom copy must use a slightly different Template name and be added to your Project.
Then in the Source record, you can change the linked Template so the Report Footnotes will include those fields.

image.png
image.png (165.75 KiB) Viewed 840 times
Kerryb

Post by Kerryb »

Thank you Tatewise, I clearly wasn't using the right terminology, but reading your reply, you answered my query anyway and I now realise I need to set up custom source templates (I think that is the right name for them) and I also discovered by editing the footnote format I can get exactly the right order and additional words I want etc.

I've been using FH for 20 years and despite having used other software packages I always come back because it does for me what I want except for that little niggle which you have now sorted out for me. And I realise by setting up custom source templates I can use them in any tree I create. Oh I am a happy bunny! Thank you
Rhoda
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Post by Rhoda »

Thank you for this very clear description of how to customise Source templates.

Following your instructions I have been able to add "Collections" and "URLs" to my Bibliographies but I would like to know whether there is a quick and simple way of doing this retrospectively to the citations already created without these fields?

Thank you,
Rhoda
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Change citation template for an existing source (20337) may help, or Mike may have a better idea.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, I think that is the only manual method available and must be applied one Citation at a time.

To make a large number of changes in bulk will require a custom plugin to be written.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

tatewise wrote: 21 Apr 2024 21:33 Yes, I think that is the only manual method available and must be applied one Citation at a time.

To make a large number of changes in bulk will require a custom plugin to be written.
Something like viewtopic.php?p=112135#p112135
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is a good find from 2+ years ago!
Rhoda
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Post by Rhoda »

Thank you for your advice.

Do you think that the 2021 plugin mentioned in the responses, and shown below, will work with fh version 7?
I had a quick look in the Plugin store and couldn't see it.

ATTACHMENTS
Convert generic sources to template.fh_lua
(15.27 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

Thanks

Rhoda
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

It
Rhoda wrote: 24 Apr 2024 13:36 Thank you for your advice.

Do you think that the 2021 plugin mentioned in the responses, and shown below, will work with fh version 7?
I had a quick look in the Plugin store and couldn't see it.

ATTACHMENTS
Convert generic sources to template.fh_lua
(15.27 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

Thanks

Rhoda
It's never been posted in the Plugin Store but was written specifically for V7.

Tagging the author in case they have anything to add.
JoopvB wrote: 25 Mar 2021 21:55 Linked, the updated version of Change source template for testing: Change Source Template