* FH -> RootsMagic -> Ancestry (Work-in-Progress)

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
colinjenke
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Re: FH -> RootsMagic -> Ancestry (Work-in-Progress)

Post by colinjenke »

Mark1834 wrote: 28 Apr 2023 07:30 A belated welcome to FHUG, Colin.

Could you clarify exactly which plugin you have used please, and what you are trying to do? The plugin in the above post relates to an older process that is now obsolete.

The supported method for linking FH with an Ancestry tree extract in a way that supports hint continuity is to use the Ancestry Synchronization plugin from the Plugin Store. This utilises developments in FH that enable a far more reliable method for linking records in different apps and updating RM/Ancestry data, but is limited to more recent versions of FH7.

Incidentally, there is a major update to the store plugin currently being finalised, and will be published in mid-May once user testing is complete.
Thanks Mark, I am using V7 of HM and the plugin i am using is Ancestry Synchronization v1,
Item 1 Plugin compare ok
Item 2 Plugin export ok
Item 4 Plugin update is the one i am having the error (appears to happen when it gets to places)
REGARDS
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Colin,

I've looked at the error message in more detail, and it clearly arises from a malformed SQL statement used to either update or delete a record in RM (which is why you are only seeing it when updating). However, all it tells me is that the error occurred in the SQL library, not exactly where and when in the plugin.

Some extra background would help please. Has the plugin worked correctly in the past? If so, it is probably caused by a recent change to your project. Is it an unexpected difference between RM7 and RM8/9?

I sent you a direct message with my e-mail address on Friday. Hopefully, I'll be able to identify the problem if you can send me a copy of the GEDCOM file produced by the plugin (and the RM file) please. If not, I'll send you a diagnostic version of the plugin that will generate additional output that will help to locate where the problem is.
Mark Draper
colinjenke
Gold

Post by colinjenke »

Mark1834 wrote: 30 Apr 2023 09:04 Colin,

I've looked at the error message in more detail, and it clearly arises from a malformed SQL statement used to either update or delete a record in RM (which is why you are only seeing it when updating). However, all it tells me is that the error occurred in the SQL library, not exactly where and when in the plugin.

Some extra background would help please. Has the plugin worked correctly in the past? If so, it is probably caused by a recent change to your project. Is it an unexpected difference between RM7 and RM8/9?

I sent you a direct message with my e-mail address on Friday. Hopefully, I'll be able to identify the problem if you can send me a copy of the GEDCOM file produced by the plugin (and the RM file) please. If not, I'll send you a diagnostic version of the plugin that will generate additional output that will help to locate where the problem is.
Thanks Mark, I have not been able to find the email that you sent me, Have checked my profile and my email address is correct in the profile. Could you please resend, thanks.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Done - should be shown as from Family Historian User Group (FHUG), subject Ancestry Plugin.

Try your Junk Mail folder if it hasn't got through directly!

Mark
Mark Draper
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Colin kindly shared his export file with me, and the problem arises with date phrases containing quotation characters, as these are not escaped when creating the SQL statement that updates RM.

I’ve shared a temporary fix with Colin, and a more permanent one will be incorporated into version 2 of the plugin later this month.
Mark Draper
colinjenke
Gold

Post by colinjenke »

Hi Mark,
Just had this problem arise in Ancestry Sync after running compare project with Linked RM File:
Duplicate Individuals in RootsMagic:

These are duplicate individuals in the RootsMagic database that arise from a failed merge process. This is most commonly caused by a change in recorded sex, as records can only be merged if they are of the same sex. Please amend the incorrect sex in RootsMagic and manually merge the two records prior to rerunning the plugin.

William Bassock (FH34805/RM812685)Elizabeth Bassock (FH34796/RM812679)Robert Bassocke (FH34804/RM812684)Otto Selent (FH2396/RM812673)Mary Bassock (FH34792/RM812678)Elwine Susanne Ryl (FH64690/RM812686)Margory Bassock (FH34800/RM812681)Amalie Selent (FH66245/RM812687)Jonne Bassocke (FH34803/RM812683)Michael Selent-Kupiec (FH2529/RM812674)Ralph Ralf Bassock (FH34802/RM812682)James Bassocke (FH34797/RM812680)Raff Bassock (FH34789/RM812677)Sir William Bassock (FH34755/RM812675)Dorothy Grailing Grayling (FH34756/RM812676)Christian Selent-Kupiec (FH66246/RM812688)

Did not find any differences in sex;s but were able to merge some and delete rest which only had a date in them.

Re run Compare project with linked RM File and got this:

Lau Error
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:1651: attempt to index a nil value (field '?')
stack traceback:
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:1651: in function 'CheckFamilyFact'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:490: in function 'ProcessAudit'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:334: in function <[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:333>
(...tail calls...)
[C]: in function 'iuplua.Popup'
elem/dialog.lua:36: in method 'popup'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:357: in function 'Menu'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:205: in function 'main'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:3121: in main chunk

Hope you can help
Regards
Colin Jenke

Using version 7 of FH
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Colin,

Could you confirm which version of the plugin you are using please? There is a new updated version that I've held back pending changes in the Ancestry-RM interface.

Support for TreeShare in RM7/8 has now been withdrawn as the older versions are not compatible with the new more secure Ancestry logon. I will probably keep supporting them in the plugin, but it will give a suitable warning if an RM7/8 file is loaded.

Once I've made that addition, I'll send you a test copy of the new plugin offline, and we can take it from there.
Mark Draper
colinjenke
Gold

Post by colinjenke »

Version 2.2

Regards
Colin
colinjenke
Gold

Post by colinjenke »

Using RM9
colinjenke
Gold

Post by colinjenke »

Using RM 9 and Ancestry Sync ver 2.3 i get this Lua Error:
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:1329: table index is nil
stack traceback:
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:1329: in function 'CheckParents'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:730: in function 'AuditRMFile'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:260: in function <[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:259>
(...tail calls...)
[C]: in function 'iuplua.Popup'
elem/dialog.lua:36: in method 'popup'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:281: in function 'Menu'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:124: in function 'main'
[string "C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Pl..."]:3136: in main chunk

Regards
Colin
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Do you have any unnamed individuals in your FH project? If so, either mark them as private so they are excluded or give them a temporary placeholder name. Does that prevent the error?
Mark Draper
colinjenke
Gold

Post by colinjenke »

HAVE Resolved the last issue
Thanks very much
colinjenke
Gold

Post by colinjenke »

Have new query:

Should Ancestry sync add new individuals too rootsmagic?
Cheers
Colin
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

Yes, it does.
John Elvin
colinjenke
Gold

Post by colinjenke »

image.png
image.png (7.23 KiB) Viewed 339 times
Now have the above error when trying to run Ancestry Sync, please advise how to fix
Regards
Colin
colinjenke
Gold

Post by colinjenke »

Ignore the last problems i have recreated files in both roots magic and family historian which has got rid of the problem.
colinjenke
Gold

Post by colinjenke »

The issue i do have is ancestry sync is when creating new individuals in family historian it is not adding them into roots magic !!

So after running Roots Magic Update Guide ended uop with this:
Title: RootsMagic Update Guide
Type: Ancestry Sync
Date: 02 Apr 2024

FH Project: • Family Historian (C:\Users\colin\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Family Historian\Family Historian.fh_proj
RM9 File: • C:\Mirror\Genealogy Data\RootsMagic 9\Our Families 4.rmtree
Ancestry Tree: • https://www.ancestry.com.au/family-tree/tree/196967220

This Research Note lists all remaining differences between the nominated RootsMagic file and the current Project that cannot be processed automatically by the plugin. Make these changes in RootsMagic prior to running TreeShare to upload all changes to Ancestry.

FH Individuals: 23436
RM Individuals: 23433

New Individuals to be added to RootsMagic:

Test Testing (FH23434)
Gaulke Albert Zibell (FH23435)
Johanna Zibell (FH23436)

Differences in Individual Records:

Johannes Hermann Zibell (FH16856/RM16856) Parents

So then i added 'Test Testing' Manually and ended up with this:

Title: RootsMagic - Ancestry TreeShare Update Guide
Type: Ancestry Sync
Date: 02 Apr 2024

FH Project: • Family Historian (C:\Users\colin\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Family Historian\Family Historian.fh_proj
RM9 File: • C:\Mirror\Genealogy Data\RootsMagic 9\Our Families 4.rmtree
Ancestry Tree: • https://www.ancestry.com.au/family-tree/tree/196967220

This Research Note lists all differences between the nominated RootsMagic file and the current Project. If the RM-Ancestry sync is currently up to date, this is the list of changes that will need to be uploaded to Ancestry using RootsMagic TreeShare once the RootsMagic database has been updated.

FH Individuals: 23436
RM Individuals: 23434

New Individuals to be added to Ancestry:

Test Testing (FH23434)
Gaulke Albert Zibell (FH23435)
Johanna Zibell (FH23436)

Individuals to be deleted from Ancestry:

Test TESTING (RM23435)[

Differences in Individual Records:

Johannes Hermann Zibell (FH16856/RM16856) - Parents
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

How exactly are you adding individuals to RM? The plugin does not do that automatically, as described in the help files. You export a new GEDCOM file, import that into RM, then merge within RM. Are you following that process?

You say you have added a new person, Test Testing, but the FH individual count has not changed. You appear to have deleted the original Test Testing, then added it back. That would not change the total count, but it is a new person, as they would have a new RecordID and UniqueID. The Research Notes are telling you to delete the old version from Ancestry, and add the new one, which is correct.

Regarding your previous errors, how did you fix the first one you reported? Was it somebody with a blank name? For the second, it is related to plugin options. I can only reproduce that by manually editing the options file. Did you do the same? Was the error in a new project, or one that has previously run ok?

The more information you can give me about how the errors arose, the more confident I can be about the cause. Without fuller information, I'm having to guess what you actually did...
Mark Draper
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

I'm 99% certain you are not following the process correctly. I've added several hundred individuals to FH since I started using Ancestry Sync and have never seen them fail to be added to RM.
John Elvin
colinjenke
Gold

Post by colinjenke »

Thanks People for your assistance , Yes i was forgetting to export a new GEDCOM update file,
Now working well - i better learn to read properly