* Record ID

Questions about creating, customising and using diagrams and charts
CindyFountain
Family Historian: V7

Record ID

Post by CindyFountain »

I am very new to the software and have entered many names with information. I looked at some reports and am thrilled with how they look...except for the record ID numbers. How do I remove the Record ID from my reports?
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Record ID

Post by LornaCraig »

Hello, welcome to FHUG.

You didn't say which type of report you are looking at, but you should be able to remove the Record ID. With the report open, click on the Options tab to the right. On the Main tab of the Report Options window there will be a section listing which types of item can be included. One of these will be Record ID. Untick that option, then click OK.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Cindy.

There are many different forms of reporting in FH.
You have posted your question the Diagrams & Charts forum but refer to "some reports".
To explain... Diagrams & Charts are created mostly via the Charts menu icon.
Whereas, Reports (& Books) are created mostly via the Publish menu icon.

However, very few of those include Record Id (usually enclosed in square brackets) by default.
Record Id can be invaluable in distinguishing people with identical or similar names and BMD dates.

Could you please be more precise about which command you are using.
Alternatively, you could post a screenshot which saves lengthy explanations.
See the FHUG Knowledge Base > Forum Usage under Attachments and Taking Screenshots for how to do that.

BTW: I hate to contradict Lorna, but few of the popular Report types have a Record Id tick Option and few of them have a Main tab. Two that do are the Outline Reports and Record Detail Reports.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

tatewise wrote: 22 Mar 2024 22:14 I hate to contradict Lorna, but few of the popular Report types have a Record Id tick Option and few of them have a Main tab. Two that do are the Outline Reports and Record Detail Reports.
Mike, I didn't say anything about how many report types have a Record ID tick option or a Main tab, so I don't understand why you think you are contradicting me.

But in fact, since you have raised the issue, in addition to the two Outline Reports and multiple Record Detail Reports you mentioned there are also the three Narrative Reports which have a Record ID tick option on a Main tab - so I wouldn't say that was 'few'!

It’s true that the Record ID is not normally ticked by default but if Cindy is seeing the ID numbers in a report it must be one of those and the option must have been ticked.

It’s unlikely that this is a question about diagrams because I’m not aware of any standard diagram text schemes which include ID numbers. However quite a lot of standard Queries include ID numbers in the results set so Cindy might be referring to a Query.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, you are correct about Narrative Reports. I thought I had checked them but must have misread in haste.
Until we know exactly what type of report is being discussed it is difficult to be precise.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
CindyFountain

Post by CindyFountain »

Thank you all for the help. I was looking at the Outline and Narrative reports. Haven't played with it too much yet. Also, what are Ahnentafel numbers?
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

CindyFountain wrote: 23 Mar 2024 15:27 Thank you all for the help. I was looking at the Outline and Narrative reports. Haven't played with it too much yet. Also, what are Ahnentafel numbers?
In the FH Help it says:
Ahnentafel numbers are a common system for numbering a given person’s ancestors. The person themselves is numbered 1, their father is numbered 2 and their mother is 3. The father’s father is 4 and his mother is 5. The mother’s father is 6 and her mother is 7. And so on. Working back, the ahnentafel number of any given ancestor’s father will be exactly twice that of the ancestor; and the anhentafel number of the same ancestor’s mother will be the father’s number plus 1.
If you search for the term on the web you'll find lots of more detailed explanations.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/