* [Wish List 639] Reload Media Meta data and also write

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
GeneS
Gold
Family Historian: V7

[Wish List 639] Reload Media Meta data and also write

Post by GeneS »

I would find it Very helpful to be able to reload Meta data from media files either one at a time or in batch. The same data currently used when dragging in an item.

Possibly add a button on the Media window to read and one to write? you could just apply it to what ever was highlighted, either 1 file or multiple. Multiple meaning to process one at a time, not apply the same info to all chosen.
Being able to also write it would be helpful when using media in multiple projects.
Vyger
Famous

Re: Reload Media Meta data and also write

Post by Vyger »

I'm highlighting this important FH feature again in video soon and was thinking about the subject today.

Firstly I cannot see FH becoming effectively a Media Filemanager, that is for other programs.

The refresh from file meta data would be a very nice feature and would certainly be a USP imo. However how would you envisage FH handling conflicting data if Read became the only option?

I always believed the FILE should be King in the media management quest and advise my watchers of the same.

Really on the Wish List it is not for the user to define how things would be implemented, CP make that call. I would welcome the Refresh All from file option overwriting FH data but I am sure there will be concerns and considerations.
Genealogy Reviews - research methods for a more productive future
KFN
Superstar

Post by KFN »

Vyger wrote: 25 Feb 2024 18:47 I always believed the FILE should be King in the media management quest and advise my watchers of the same.
While I kind of agree that FH7 should not be considered a "Media File Manager" I disagree that the "FILE" (i assume you mean the FILE tag or file name) should be "king"! People tend to create file names that are too descriptive (i.e. long) or can't carry enough information to tell the reader the contents. Therefore metadata which can be infinite and contain multiple topics, such as all of the names of people in a group photo, census image, or obituary.

I use a third party program to manage my images and a lot of thought goes into creating metadata that describes the content of the file, but the file name is randomized to maintain some privacy when loading to the web. Using named sub-directories is sometimes okay, but some images are hard to categorize at times so I tend to keep them simple (head shot, census, birth records, etc.)

Metadata has great value and in general is little used by the public. I wish that better integration occurred between genealogy programs and the images including adding copyright, date image was taken, location and person data. I don't expect the average person to spend big bucks on photo software so using the "file name" is a cheep alternative vs. using meta data, but I wanted to voice an alternative.
KFN
Superstar

Post by KFN »

KFN wrote: 25 Feb 2024 20:45
Vyger wrote: 25 Feb 2024 18:47 I always believed the FILE should be King in the media management quest and advise my watchers of the same.
While I kind of agree that FH7 should not be considered a "Media File Manager" I disagree that the "FILE" (i assume you mean the FILE tag or file name) should be "king"! People tend to create file names that are too descriptive (i.e. long) or can't carry enough information to tell the reader the contents. Therefore metadata which can be infinite and contain multiple topics, such as all of the names of people in a group photo, census image, or obituary is better.

I use a third party program to manage my images and a lot of thought goes into creating metadata that describes the content of the file, but the file name is randomized to maintain some privacy when loading to the web. Using named sub-directories is sometimes okay, but some images are hard to categorize at times so I tend to keep them simple (head shot, census, birth records, etc.)

Metadata has great value and in general is little used by the public. I wish that better integration occurred between genealogy programs and the images including adding copyright, date image was taken, location and person data. I don't expect the average person to spend big bucks on photo software so using the "file name" is a cheep alternative vs. using meta data, but I wanted to voice an alternative.
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

KFN wrote: 25 Feb 2024 20:45 While I kind of agree that FH7 should not be considered a "Media File Manager" I disagree that the "FILE" (i assume you mean the FILE tag or file name) should be "king"!
You misunderstood me, when I said FILE I was referring to the meta data of Title, Description, Tags, Date Taken.

My file names are descriptive, I understand why you take a different approach. Regardless Windows will search out your media files from the meta data.
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

A while back, I contacted CP about what metadata they imported from an image file. In the course of those jails, I suggested that they support an option for importing the IPTC fields that are compatible with the existing FH7 media data-fields. The current FH approach depends on one having a Windows O/S computer in order to prepare images for import. The reason for suggesting IPTC was simply that it is a standard that is independent of the O/S one uses and usually supported by Digital Asset Management software and many imaging programs.
Gary Gauthier
Hunting History in the Wild!
Vyger
Famous

Re: [Wish List 639] Reload Media Meta data and also write

Post by Vyger »

Wish List item 639 has been created. Please vote for it to let Calico Pie know if you wish to see this feature introduced.