* Colour coding descendants

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ltester
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Colour coding descendants

Post by ltester »

I would like to be able to colour code descendants of a particular person or couple. Is there any way of doing this en masse or can I only do it laboriously via the property box for each person? Can I put them all in a list and colour code the list so they all appear in a particular colour in a chart? The reason I'm asking is that I am trying to see where several different trees intersect in order to work out where unknown dna matches might fit. Thanks!
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Colour coding descendants

Post by tatewise »

You cannot colour-code Property Boxes or lists such as in the Records Window or Query Results.

The only feature that supports colour coding is Diagrams via the Options Boxes tab Conditions.

If you are talking about direct-line descendants then the =IsDescendantOf(...) function should work.
You will need to use Diagram > Save As > Diagram Type to preserve the Box tab settings.

Is that enough clues or do you need more detailed advice?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ltester
Gold

Post by ltester »

Thanks - I'll have to add it to the wish list at some point then!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, what do you want to add to the wish list ~ I don't understand.
To see intersecting colour-coded descendants you would have to use a Diagram chart, which can be colour-coded.
I tried to explain how to achieve that and offered further advice if it was not clear.
ltester
Gold

Post by ltester »

As I understand it, I can't colour code permanently, only in a diagram, which I then have to save and will be static. I would like to see them always colour coded so that whenever I create a new diagram, perhaps with a different ancestor, I can see automatically where different family lines intersect.

If I've misunderstood, and that is what you are saying I can do, then I'll have a go.

Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Saving a Diagram Type only preserves the settings and can be used repeatedly with different diagram roots.
Even a saved Family Historian Chart is not frozen and will adapt to new data entered into the Project.

I assume you will want to colour all direct-line descendants of the same particular person in each Diagram.
It is possible to define different colours for the descendants of different particular people simultaneously.
i.e. Different descendant lines will have different colours at the same time in one Diagram.

It might be feasible to have even more flexibility than that by using Named Lists.

Please go into a little more detail about how the people are chosen whose descendants need to be coloured.