* Notes and Note Records: Moan No. 1

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
dbnut
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Notes and Note Records: Moan No. 1

Post by dbnut »

The "thing" Calico calls "Note Record" is referred to by that name almost everywhere in the user interface. And a "Note" is almost always called a Note. Calico does it that way because it reflects GEDCOM structure.

The Knowledge Base, by its section heading titles, nudges us to use the term "Shared Record" - instead of having that explanatory term in parentheses. All types of Note Records are, by definition and design, shared.
Similarly, a "Note" is always local, so "Shared Note" is another term not usually found in the interface.

The only interface exceptions I have found are:

* the Property Box Notes tab context menu Add, "Add Shared Note Record" (where "Shared" is redundant)
* same place "Add Shared Note for a Couple" (seriously misleading as it is a "local note" for a *Family* record, and so "shared" only inasmuch as two people share in a partnership)

And while in the moaning mood, the dialogue for that "Add Shared Note Record" above provides a "New..." button, in case what we are looking for is not in the list. Everywhere else (AFAIK) "New..." is not available, *and* the usual method of creating a new one by right-clicking the left-hand column tree expansion button is disabled.

And just to be different, the top level "All" tab context menu Add Field, Add Note, items "Add Link to New Note Record", "Add Link to Existing Note Record", and "Add Note to This Record" break the pattern.
Here, the first two could be combined into one (as above, with the *dialogue* offering the choice of New).
And the menu titles can then be simplified to the standard "Add Note" and Add Note Record".

I hope there is not a move towards the unnecessary intrusion of "shared" (except as explanation) as that only makes a complicated system more complicated. And that Calico will fix the few inconsistencies in its menus and dialogues.
Paul White
"Family Historian is not just for Christmas, but for Life"
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Notes and Note Records: Moan No. 1

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Always happy for people to improve the KB. There's a link on the KB under Contribute to Request an Editor's account.

P.S. I've tinkered with the article on Notes -- see if you think it's better now.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

I see what you mean - the main Notes page at Notes and Note Records could be a lot clearer.

The KB is a Wiki, written by users for users. You’re a long term FH user, so how about drafting a new version and submitting it for review?
Last edited by ColeValleyGirl on 18 Mar 2024 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Is this a candidate for the 'Maintaining the KnowledgeBase' forum?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

tatewise wrote: 18 Mar 2024 11:04 Is this a candidate for the 'Maintaining the KnowledgeBase' forum?
It falls between two stools. After a mention of the Knowledge Base (which used correct V6 terminology "Shared Note" and has now been updated to reflect V7's move away from that) it then goes on to suggest interface changes to FH, which ought to have been raised in the New Wishlist Requests Forum.
dbnut
Famous

Post by dbnut »

Grateful to Helen for the KB update. Defused my objection so much that there's probably no need to waste effort on further changes there. BTW it's an excellent resource.

Thanks for the other suggestion, will submit a Wish List item for the interface. I thought it best for clarity, to start with, packaging up both guidance and interface aspects of one topic in one post.

Despite being a long-time user, my focus has been selective and I'm truly just a beginner in FH (and fh generally). Also, my attention is elsewhere much of the time so these comments are sporadic - hey, be happy :) .
Paul White
"Family Historian is not just for Christmas, but for Life"