* Adding Birth/Death/Marriage JPEG certificates

Questions about Generic and Templated Sources within FH and their associated Citations and Repositories
Tcb#1987
Family Historian: V7

Adding Birth/Death/Marriage JPEG certificates

Post by Tcb#1987 »

Extremely new to Family Historian, so I am sorry if this is a dumb question. I want to upload and enter everything correctly from the beginning, so I am exploring the program before entering more people than my wife and I.

I have tons of Birth/Death/Marriage certificates that are all JPEG files. How do I properly upload and file them? I checked out the "Add documents" but that section does not recognize JPEG files. Would I upload them as a photo?? That seems odd to me.

I greatly appreciate any constructive help.

Respectfully,
Tim
LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Adding Birth/Death/Marriage JPEG certificates

Post by LornaCraig »

Hello Tim, Welcome to FHUG. You are very wise to explore the program carefully before entering a lot of data – there is a lot to learn!

The brief answer to your question is yes, any file which is an image file (such as JPEG TIF, PNG) is handled in the same way regardless of whether it’s a photo or a scan of a certificate. The important difference is what you link it to in FH. Photos of people are normally linked direct to the individual’s record, while mages of certificates are recommended to be linked to Source records.

If you have not yet discovered it I recommend looking at some of the introductory articles in the Knowledge Base. This page Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for New Users) covers Sources and Citations. If you scroll down the page you will find a section on ‘Adding Media to Sources and Citations’ which is what you need to do with your certificate images.

When you have digested all that you might like to look at Ancestral Sources which is a program many people use to help automate the process of recording the information in certificates and creating source records with linked images.

Do ask again if you have more questions.
Lorna