* Producing a 'Conditional' Descendant Tree

Questions about creating, customising and using diagrams and charts
rfj1001
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Producing a 'Conditional' Descendant Tree

Post by rfj1001 »

Bear with me – this post eventually relates to FH diagrams.

On ancestry, I’ve got a very extensively researched tree of about 300 individuals in the US and Canada that includes about 20 people who I match in DNA terms.

I have two problems that I'm trying to resolve:

• I can trace the ancestry of almost all those DNA matches to two brothers born in England (c1800) who married two sisters born in the US. So that means the printed descendant tree from FH can be both messy and large to see what is going on, particularly as two or three later descendants married their deceased siblings spouse :)

• I have yet to find any link between this tree and my own, even though one of my DNA matches is first/second cousin.

The conventional records research is pretty much exhausted until anything new and relevant comes on line and, as each of my paternal ancestors back to 1850 (as far as I can get to – Ireland ☹) seems to have had only one registered child, I reckon the likelihood of any future DNA match on my direct paternal line is pretty much Nil.

It’s pretty obvious that there is an NPE. I’ve a candidate for the father on my side so I’m wanting to find potential mother(s) in the US/Canada tree.

I’m wondering therefore if there is any way I can use FH to simplify off the descendant diagram of the US/Canada tree by automatically hiding all of the ancestral lines where there are no DNA matches.

As background, all people who I match in DNA terms have a DNA flag set against them and the DNA markers field has the shared cM value.

Any advice or alternative suggestions would be very welcome.

Many thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Producing a 'Conditional' Descendant Tree

Post by tatewise »

These are my first thoughts.
With the Diagram displayed the following two commands can be used in tandem.
  1. Diagram > Selection & Marks > Set/Clear Marks using Query... (Alt+D+M+Q)
    Select a suitable Query and click Run Query
  2. Diagram > Hide/Show Boxes > Hide Selected Boxes (Alt+D+H+H)
A suitable Query may be based on Has Flag standard Query but producing a list of Individuals without DNA Flags.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Using Mark and Hide in Diagrams illustrates the technique. It;s for an older version of FH, but still relevant.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, but in FH V7 the option to Select Marked Boxes is built into the Set/Clear Marks using Query dialogue so does not need an extra step.
rfj1001
Superstar

Post by rfj1001 »

Thanks, both of you.

J had tried manually hiding boxes but I was finding that I started to lose branches I needed but weren't displayed on the diagram that was open. (Endogamy I think was the issue.)

I tried Mike's thought of marking and hiding non DNA-matched individuals using the menu commands. I had limited success. But it showed that I actually need another set of individuals - ie all the other relatives required to connect to and from my DNA matches to the two brothers and sisters who are the common ancestors.

I think I'll construct a simple sample tree of a few people, a couple of generations, and a couple of DNA matches to see if I can get the principle working (or not !) on that one. The big US/Canada tree is just too complicated to work on at this early stage.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You may need to resort to a Named List of the people to hide and a Query based on the Named List Members standard Query.