* Running FH on Windows on a Mac

Questions about Installing FH, Migrating FH to another PC, and upgrading FH
RJDoggett
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Running FH on Windows on a Mac

Post by RJDoggett »

If you wish to continue using Family Historian on your Mac, you can easily do so by using a Virtual Machine (Parallels or Fusion 13).

I have recently changed from Win 10 PCs to Mac Sonoma with Win 11 running on a Virtual Machine. FH 7.0.22 installed without issues. Having backed up my data, I saved the project to One Drive. With FH opened on my Mac, I browsed to the One Drive folders with the data.

I am now operating FH on both a desktop Mac Mini and a MacBook Air via One Drive. Both computers stay synced since only one is accessing the FH data at a time. With my previous PCs, I was doing this via Dropbox.

The only downside of this approach is the cost of the necessary Win 11 licence; Fusion 13 is free for personal use but Parallels is about USD90.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Running FH on Windows on a Mac

Post by tatewise »

I have split this from the Exporting from FH on windows to FTM2019 on a Mac (22805) thread and moved it to the Installing, Migrating & Upgrading forum because it does not relate to that other thread nor to exporting to another product.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
carswell
Gold

Post by carswell »

I have been running FH successfully for a number of years on a Mac with no issues at all using Parallels. It is not necessary to buy a Windows 11 licence to do so. I downloaded Windows 11 from the Parallels website and have never activated it so never had to pay a fee. I get the odd reminder to do so which I ignore. I still get updates for the Windows software. I do only run FH on my Macbook Air and not on my iMac.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I presume you are aware that is a form of software piracy and violates the Microsoft T & C which state:
You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method. ...
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry