* Help!

Questions about using and managing media in FH
lindad
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Help!

Post by lindad »

Am looking for help please! I have over 1800 images linked to my tree, all without problem... until tonight!

I have just added an existing image to one individual and somehow, I have no idea how, FH has linked him to all 1800 images in my file! Am sure I did nothing other that what I usually do... and I wouldn't have a clue how to do what it has done even if I'd wanted it to! (Why would anyone want to link all media files to one individual?!)

I've been sitting here trying to unlink them manually, but it's going to take forever. I tried to unlink several together but am being told that isn't possible and to create a Named List. I don't usually use Named Lists, but went to the Lists tab. The create New List option is greyed out...

Any ideas please? It's gonna be an awfully long night otherwise!
Linda Dutton
Researching - Dutton, Berrett, Hungerford, Payne, Bell & Scott
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Help!

Post by tatewise »

I suspect that when you used Add Media > Link to Existing Media Record... in the Select Records dialogue you clicked >> Add All and then OK. That would add all the existing Media records!

If you have not closed FH since the problem then use Edit > Undo enough times to reverse the changes.

If you have closed and opened FH then use File > Backup/Restore > Revert to Snapshot... and select a GEDCOM Snapshot Taken just before you added all those Media, then click Revert to Snapshot button.
You try any number of Snapshots and even return to the current GEDCOM if necessary.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
lindad
Platinum

Post by lindad »

Thanks Mike! I didn't even know that was an option and even now can't find the 'add all' button (not that I envisage ever needing it)... so how it happened remains a mystery to me! Have been adding images for 20 years without a problem so just hope it doesn't happen again!
Linda Dutton
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Add All button is the >> button in the centre of the screenshot below.
If you hover the cursor over it then an Add All tooltip pops up.

Did you manage to use Edit > Undo or Revert to Snapshot to quickly fix the problem?

image.png
image.png (170.34 KiB) Viewed 407 times
lindad
Platinum

Post by lindad »

Ah, OK thanks! I guess I must have clicked on that... but goodness knows how without noticing!! :?

No, none of you were online so I just unlinked them all one by one. Managed to get into the swing and do them quite quickly in the end. Tedious job. Thought I was going to give myself a repetitive strain injury!! :lol:

Thanks again for your help.
Linda Dutton
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It might have been worth waiting an hour or so for a reply with a solution rather than risk RSI :D

After choosing a Media record, I suspect you hit >> by mistake instead of > above and muscle memory took over and clicked OK without noticing!