* Children Automatically Added to Spouse Record Incorrectly

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
RachelBedingfield
Family Historian: V7

Children Automatically Added to Spouse Record Incorrectly

Post by RachelBedingfield »

Hi, I an brand new to Family Historian and am so glad that you are all here to help. It's quite a learning curve, isn't it?

Anyway, I entered my great-grandmother's illegitimate children to her record and then added a subsequent marriage. The system automatically added her children to his record when they are not his children.

How do I delete them from his record so the information is correct?

Many thanks,
Rachel
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Children Automatically Added to Spouse Record Incorrectly

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Rachel.

What has happened is you have created only one family relationship between your great-grandmother, her husband, and her illegitimate children.

I recommend that you delete the Marriage Event you have just added.

Now right-click the husband in the Focus Window on the left and choose Unlink Record.

Then in your great-grandmother's Property Box, the 1st Spouse tab lists her illegitimate Children and no husband as you had originally.

Click on the next Spouse tab with the + sign and use Add/Spouse Partner > Link Existing Record and select the husband's Individual record.

Finally, you can add the Marriage Event again and it will ask which partner.

See the FHUG Knowledge Base for Recording Children in Complex Families.

If any of the above is not clear, then ask again and I'll provide more detailed steps.
Don't guess or experiment as that may make matters worse.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry