* Family Stories in Book

Questions about the various ways of sharing your research with others
jbennett1030
Family Historian: V7

Family Stories in Book

Post by jbennett1030 »

Does anyone have advice how to best put narrative family stories into FH so they can be included in a book? I searched the forum/documentation and didn't find this, but welcome links to sources I missed.

For example, a family story might be something like this, "When Bob was 2 years old, he did xyz", but usually many paragraphs long.

My current thinking is (individual) record notes. The book would have some chapters with Record-Note option turned off, and another chapter (for family stories) with Record-Note option turned on.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Family Stories in Book

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

Can you clarify that you are talking about the Publish > Books & Booklets... feature and using Narrative Reports.

The standard Narrative Report would use the deafult options.

A custom Narrative Report Type could just include Record Notes and most other Options would be disabled.
Most Main tab settings would be unticked and the Event/Attribute List Only options emptied.
The Pictures tab would have all Max Pics set to 0.
The Sources tab would have Show Source Citations unticked.
The Format tab would need the Heading changed so the Book Chapter was different.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jbennett1030

Post by jbennett1030 »

Thank you for the reply. I think that's going the right direction, but I'm blocked by something I do not understand (and yes, I did look through documentation and the beginning user guides). Although I have added notes to individuals (Property Box | Add Note | Note about <individual name>), there are no "Record Notes" to choose from in the book (choose Edit Book | Other Report ... | Record Detail - Notes | OK results in "No Note Records"). I think they are notes, but not record notes?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Those Individual Notes you are adding will have a Type of Local in the Notes tab.
They will be shown in the Note: box on the Main tab of the Property Box.
They are Notes that are internally local to the Individual Record.

To add a separate Note Record you must use the Add Note > Shared Note Record... command.
They are standalone records listed on the Records Window, Notes tab, and may be linked/shared by many Individual Records.

That distinction between local Notes and Note Records is a common misunderstanding for newcomers.
The local Notes fields are just like all the other local fields, such as Name, Sex, and Facts, that are internal to an Individual Record.

There are 12 types of records, each with its own tab in the Records Window.
However, they may not all be displayed unless you use Tools > Preferences... > Records Window and set the Record Type Display Options all to Always show, which I advise you do.

When you have investigated all those record types and local Notes versus Note Records we can move on to how to customise the Narrative Reports in a Book. I assume it is local Notes you want to appear as family stories.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry