* KEYPERSON.AGE tag missing

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Gary_G
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

KEYPERSON.AGE tag missing

Post by Gary_G »

In AS v7.8.6, the KEYPERSON.AGE tag (and sub-tags) is not available in the Keyword selection list of the Source Template Editor; even with ages checked as included in the census configuration.

Is there some other setting that needs to be applied or is this actually a bug?
Gary Gauthier
Hunting History in the Wild!
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: KEYPERSON.AGE tag missing

Post by NickWalker »

The drop-down is really just a short-cut to save time typing the tags in yourself so you can just type in the correct tag and it should work. If it isn't in the list I'll add it to a future version.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Thanks, Nick. I wasn't sure about whether just typing it in would work correctly, as I tried it and it didn't get evaluated below the field as other keywords do.
Gary Gauthier
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Sorry Gary, I was mistaken about this. AGE isn't a sub tag that will work with census entries. With census entries the key person tags all refer to values related to the Individual in the file rather than the entry being made. It's something i can consider in a future version. I wouldn't particularly have considered that Age is something someone would put in a citation as it is already recorded in the census fact but I do try to support the needs of a wide range of users so I will 'add it to the list'.
Nick Walker

Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Nick;

The only time that age needs to occur in a citation is when there is more than one person with the same name in a family unit and the citation is to a specific person. As people know I tend to follow a certain citation style, I should be clear that this request regarding the age variable has nothing to do with following any specific citation style. It's basically a convenient form of disambiguation.

Thank you for considering adding it to the available keywords in a future release.

I appreciate your help in trying to get AS set up in order to do my data entry. I realize my situation may seem unusual to you, but I am managing multiple projects and need to be very careful how I record things.

---

An aside; and just to capture my thoughts, in case they help some other AS "newbie" reading the thread...

As I work through how to use templates with AS, it is becoming increasingly obvious that one needs to separate the function of the AS itself from the function of one's template.

AS appears to assist in entering initial data for facts that can be generated from a data in a common image. The template, though, is specifically designed for formulating the citation that can be attached to the generated facts. I can think of many cases in which something like the person's name in a citation is quite different than what is entered into the AS data-entry screen. I have one fellow who appears in the census image as "Richard Schloendorf", but has to be recorded in the citation as, "Richard "Schboendor" [Schloendorf]". This was due to an indexing transcription error. So; it may be "risky" to link AS fields to one's template fields. Also; because AS is not meant to be used for "maintenance" or editing of an existing citation, the template should be designed for standalone use and may need to have addition fields solely to allow it to be used in a stand-alone mode.
Gary Gauthier
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

As I say throughout the Ancestral Sources help guide, AS will help you to enter data but you always have to make manual changes before saving. AS will save you time by filling in source citation fields but before you save it insists you look at the values and check they are correct, editing them and filling in any gaps. There is nothing 'risky' about it as long as you understand that.

Even the simple 'Essentials Collection' templates have fields that AS can't fill in for you. I'd expect your templates would have even more fields like that. Just fill them in manually in AS before you save.
Nick Walker

Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Nick;
I believe you and I are saying the same thing; just from a slightly different perspective.

I was simply pointing out that the temptation to blindly link a template's data entry fields to an AS data entry field can be risky and gave an concrete example of why. The fields may have the same name, but may require different data due to having a totally different purpose.
Gary Gauthier
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

👍
Nick Walker

Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Nick;

As a test; I've managed to develop an AS-compatible Source template that generates a fully-split, Evidence Explained style, Canadian census citation.

I've also created a "1926 Census of Canada (Prairies)" census template that fits the way the selection boxes currently work, functions perfectly with the census template and that can be used as a model for other years and regions in Canada. It even allows for developing templates for when Canada was still known as "British North America" and the "Province of Canada".

By juggling things a bit, I've also been able to autofill in many of the template fields. However; the {KEYPERSON.AGE} keywords would still be very handy to have. If it is possible to enable that it would be very much appreciated (of course; when time permits).
Gary Gauthier