* Bulk importing of Sources from excel

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
RonC47
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Bulk importing of Sources from excel

Post by RonC47 »

Is it possible t import some 2000+ sources that are in excel format directly into source templates including images into a source template and create multiple (2000+) sources.
The excel file will have columns that directly correspond to the fields in the source template. ie Newspaper, Type, Date of issue etc. The last column will contain a link to the image file.
If so how?
Many thanks, Ron Chapman
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Bulk importing of Sources from excel

Post by Jane »

I don't think the standard CSV import plugin can take the file so you will probably have to write your own plugin, but you could experiment with it to see and perhaps use it as a base.

https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... from-a-csv
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Bulk importing of Sources from excel

Post by tatewise »

I am the current author of the Flexible CSV Importer plugin that Jane mentions.
It certainly does not support that capability and I don't think it would be easy to update.
Anyway, it only imports Sources associated with Individuals and Facts.
It doesn't sound like your Sources CSV has those associations.

How does a CSV with fixed columns cope with Templates that have various combinations of metafields?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry