* Issues with showing existing media in AS

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Gary_G
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Issues with showing existing media in AS

Post by Gary_G »

I run FH7 on a Mac M1, under the latest version of Parallels. I've set up AS v7.8.6 to use templated sources, method 1 for census records and the subject FH census fact has an image attached to the source. The media resides in its own directory outside the project. However; while AS shows the current record content, it doesn't seem to see the attached media. It's as if AS has not pulled in the location of the existing image from FH7. Could I ask for a bit of help in where to look for the issue?
Gary Gauthier
Hunting History in the Wild!
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Issues with showing existing media in AS

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Gary_G wrote: 07 Feb 2024 14:19 I run FH7 on a Mac M1, under the latest version of Parallels. I've set up AS v7.8.6 to use templated sources, method 1 for census records and the subject FH census fact has an image attached to the source. The media resides in its own directory outside the project. However; while AS shows the current record content, it doesn't seem to see the attached media. It's as if AS has not pulled in the location of the existing image from FH7. Could I ask for a bit of help in where to look for the issue?
I' ve moved this to the Ancestral Sources forum, as it seems to fit better there.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It may help to know whether the Media is attached to the Source record or to the Census fact Citation.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Mike;
... and the subject FH census fact has an image attached to the source.
I checked where AS expected to find new media, had I added additional images. It is pointing to the correct subdirectory, but in the FH7 project media folder and not the one used by my FH7 project. Seems that AS is picking up the wrong directory from FH7, when opening the project. Accessing the project in FH7 works fine and displays the image connected to the source [not the citation].
Gary Gauthier
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Helen;
Thanks for moving it. Sometimes it's confusing when deciding where a post belongs. :D
Gary Gauthier
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Gary_G wrote: 07 Feb 2024 14:19 I run FH7 on a Mac M1, under the latest version of Parallels. I've set up AS v7.8.6 to use templated sources, method 1 for census records and the subject FH census fact has an image attached to the source. The media resides in its own directory outside the project. However; while AS shows the current record content, it doesn't seem to see the attached media. It's as if AS has not pulled in the location of the existing image from FH7. Could I ask for a bit of help in where to look for the issue?
Do you mean you are going into the image viewer via Add/Edit Images and then choosing 'Link existing image already in file' and then you are selecting an image from the list but it doesn't load in the panel on the left? If that's the case, what message does it display in the left hand panel. A screenshot to illustrate might be helpful.
Gary_G wrote: 07 Feb 2024 14:43 I checked where AS expected to find new media, had I added additional images. It is pointing to the correct subdirectory, but in the FH7 project media folder and not the one used by my FH7 project. Seems that AS is picking up the wrong directory from FH7, when opening the project. Accessing the project in FH7 works fine and displays the image connected to the source [not the citation].
When you add a new image AS has no idea where your image will be but if you select an image to add from the correct folder it should remember that in future.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

I'm hoping I'm not missing anything, as there were previous copies of the post, Nick.

I read over your post and that sparked a glimmer of an idea. I may be trying to use AS the wrong way, because I already have census facts with linked images from my RM9 import. If I'm correct, then a screenshot is not necessary.

Is it correct to say that AS can't be used to "complete" the data in an existing set of census facts, but one could fully recreate the set and image links and save that to overwrite the existing set?
Gary Gauthier
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Gary_G wrote: 07 Feb 2024 21:26 Is it correct to say that AS can't be used to "complete" the data in an existing set of census facts, but one could fully recreate the set and image links and save that to overwrite the existing set?
Yes that is correct. AS is for entering new census entries. It will offer to overwrite an existing census fact if one exists for an individual for the same year
Nick Walker

Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

When it does overwrite census facts, does it do so as a "set"; that is for the one or more census facts for the family unit?
Gary Gauthier
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

When you add an individual to the grid it will report that the individual already has a census entry for that year and gives the option to replace that census entry.
image.png
image.png (42.16 KiB) Viewed 334 times
It will do this for each individual you add and act accordingly.
Nick Walker

Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Thank you. That's clear now.
Gary Gauthier