* Replacing existing project templates with new ones from template definitions

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
Gary_G
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Replacing existing project templates with new ones from template definitions

Post by Gary_G »

I plan to import several databases from RM9 and same only select templates from each. Selected templates will be added to the master templates in FH7 and the original project deleted. Once I have my library of master templates compiled in FH7 and do a "real" import of my projects, the real work begins. Can someone point me to where I can read about how to replace certain imported project-level templates with ones (containing the same field-names, but not necessarily the same field-type) from my library of master templates. This is necessary, since I will have to (as a minimum) tweak the imported master templates in FH7 to make some text fields into URL fields.
Gary Gauthier
Hunting History in the Wild!
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Replacing existing project templates with new ones from template definitions

Post by tatewise »

I think you should be able to use the standard synchronisation tools:

Use the Tools > Source Template Definitions... command, select a Template and use Compare/Sync with Source Template Record which should work if the definition and record names are identical and the field types are changing from Text to URL.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gary_G
Megastar

Re: Replacing existing project templates with new ones from template definitions

Post by Gary_G »

Thanks, Mike.
Yes, the only change I really need to make is to change some of the field types from Text to URL. RM9 doesn't have that field type, but I've set up the RM9 templates, so I could hopefully do this conversion.
Gary Gauthier
Hunting History in the Wild!