* [Closed] Ability to define and use sub-image areas of a media item

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
Gary_G
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

[Closed] Ability to define and use sub-image areas of a media item

Post by Gary_G »

Goal:
To provide the ability to define and record (as media items) one or more rectangular sub-images within an existing media image and to be able to utilized those defined sub-images in the same manner as any other FH7 media image.

Benefit:
This capability would allow the user to make multiple references to sub-areas of an existing stored instance of a media item without the need to create separate sources and standalone media images for sub-areas of the media item.
Gary Gauthier
Hunting History in the Wild!
PeterR
Megastar

Re: Ability to define and use sub-image areas of a media item

Post by PeterR »

Doesn't this Help Topic explain how to do this?
"How to Link Individuals to Their Face in a Picture"
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

PeterR wrote: 12 Jan 2024 19:13 Doesn't this Help Topic explain how to do this?
"How to Link Individuals to Their Face in a Picture"
Thank you, "PeterR". I "think" it may be what I want, but I'll have to try it on a few images and see.

In the meantime, please consider this wishlist item on hold.
If I feel the article answers my need, I'll withdraw the item,
Gary Gauthier
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Thanks, PeterR. The Help Topic, "How to Link Individuals to Their Face in a Picture", does appear to address this issue, but there are some remaining issues that affect my ability to use it for what I can do in other programs.

When trying to follow the steps outlined in the article, I found that I had a fair bit of trouble finding the referenced buttons, menu-items etc. This made me wonder whether the topic had been written for an earlier version of FH than FH7. I did, however, eventually figure out a rather bumbling way to get the feature working. Perhaps the topics need to be labelled with the FH version to which they pertain, so a user knows whether to expect to have to modify the steps. It would also help when trying to scan for topics that need updating.

Sure wish there was an actual FH7 manual, as in some of the previous versions. The Knowledge Base is fine, if one is certain what to look for. For someone who is still learning to work with FH7, it's a source of frustration.

I note that there doesn't appear to be the capability to rotate the selection box to an arbitrary angle. This can be a real issue for some selections that need it. If this capability actually doesn't exist, then perhaps the wishlist should be amended to request it be added.
Gary Gauthier
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Gary, if you looked up the 'How to Link Individuals to Their Face in a Picture' help page in FH V7 then clearly it applies to FH V7. However, I've compared it with the FH V6 help page and it is identical, which is not surprising as I don't believe the Property Box and Media Window features have changed.
If you believe the help does not match the program dialogues then I suspect CP would like to know.

I can confirm that the Face Frames cannot be rotated to an arbitrary angle. IMO if they could they would look rather odd in Reports.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Tatewise;

I was having some trouble following the steps shown in the noted help topic. It's likely that I just don't yet have the experience with FH7 to "fill in the gaps" or that I'm not familiar with how the author named the various screens/menus in the instructions (hence a manual would be handy). That said, I did manage to get it to work.

As for rotating images... They definitely could benefit from the ability to rotate the frame so that heads are vertical and not at some arbitrary angle. I have many instances where the shot was not posed and some level of rotation is necessary to make them presentable.
Gary Gauthier
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I presume that rotating (and perhaps cropping) the full media image is not a solution.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

tatewise wrote: 12 Jan 2024 22:33 I presume that rotating (and perhaps cropping) the full media image is not a solution.
Often the full image is fine as it is and needs to be maintained for other uses, but some of the people in the photo are in various positions that look fine in the full picture and "unnatural" when cropped down to a headshot.
Gary Gauthier
Vyger
Famous

Re: [Closed] Ability to define and use sub-image areas of a media item

Post by Vyger »

Closed as already provided, however the OP may wish to raise a new specific topic regarding the manipulation of the frames (orientation of whatever).
Genealogy Reviews - research methods for a more productive future