* Query that returns just one instance of each result

Questions about the various ways of sharing your research with others
JimMacKY
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Query that returns just one instance of each result

Post by JimMacKY »

Can I create a query that returns just one instance of each result? Example: I want to create a named list of all the countries in which my family has been born. I can create a query that lists each individual & their country of birth, but I don't want to see 100 repetitions of the same country, just one. If "Scotland" has already been found, don't list it again.

The only way I can see to filter like this is by manually creating Fact[2], Fact[3], etc. which isn't going to work with the number of countries in my tree. I think what I want is the query to update a named list (e.g., "CountryList") by adding each unique entry to it as it runs. Is that possible?

I'm not interested in workarounds. I'd like to know how to do this in a FH query.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Query that returns just one instance of each result

Post by tatewise »

Sorry Jim, but I don't think that is possible in a Query.

Even if it was possible you could not create a Named List of countries, but only a Named List of Place records.

I can only think of two ways to achieve a list of unique countries.
1) Use a Query, save it as a CSV file, then use Excel to filter the Country column down to unique row values.
2) Write a custom plugin.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
JimMacKY
Silver

Re: Query that returns just one instance of each result

Post by JimMacKY »

OK. I'll look more at plug-ins, especially since this is the second time you've suggested that. I have tried a few & looked briefly at the help about them, but that's it.