* Query that uses a dropdown list

Questions about the various ways of sharing your research with others
JimMacKY
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Query that uses a dropdown list

Post by JimMacKY »

Can I create a query that uses a dropdown list from named list to filter results? Example: I have a custom fact "Sndx" in which I put the Soundex code for some families.* I know how to prompt for input, but I can't remember all the codes so I'd like to use a dropdown box to choose from when I run the query. The result all the individuals with that Sndx code.

I have a named list "Sndx Codes" available to use. It has the surname & the Soundex code. I'd like to see both, but only use the Sndx code to filter the query. If I need to limit the list to the Sndx code, that's OK. I've looked for examples, but haven't found any. The "Common Ancestor" query uses a dropdown list to start, but that seems to use a system cache (the last people I looked at) & I don't see how that was done. I'm not interested in workarounds. I'd like to know how to do this in a FH query. Thanks in advance for any help.

*I have a Sndx custom code because FTM2019 doesn't automatically calculate this field the way FH does. The larger families in my tree have multiple surname spellings so I use the code to run queries & reports on them. The automatic calculation won't work since that includes surnames I don't want. For instance, Blakeman & Blackman have the same code, but aren't related lines.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Query that uses a dropdown list

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

When you add a row with a Parameter (which will prompt for input) you can choose parameter type List Value. I don't know of a way to populate that parameter list from your Named List, however.
JimMacKY
Silver

Post by JimMacKY »

That just returns 1 person per Sndx code, not what I'm looking for. Thanks for trying, though.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I suspect the only solution to this kind of analysis is to write a custom plugin.

BTW: I wrote a very simple Query that filtered on the 1st Occupation fact using a Parameter List of occupations such as teacher, fisher, writer and it listed all the Individuals where the Occupation contained the chosen word.
So I don't understand why your Sndx code version only listed one Individual.
If you posted the Query as an Attachment we could explain what is wrong.
Last edited by tatewise on 19 Jan 2024 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected type 'plugin' to 'Query'
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
JimMacKY
Silver

Post by JimMacKY »

I hadn't thought about a plug-in. Thank you. I'll look into that.