* Start Default Project

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Billy Nagloc
Family Historian: V7

Start Default Project

Post by Billy Nagloc »

Can somebody please put me on the right track for getting my FH software to open on the same project by default, chosen by me. At present I enter the desired Project and press Edit / File Root / Set as File Root. But next time I load the program it presents an unwanted Family. I am obviously doing something wrong.
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Start Default Project

Post by Jane »

Billy Nagloc wrote: 07 Jan 2024 04:23 Can somebody please put me on the right track for getting my FH software to open on the same project by default, chosen by me. At present I enter the desired Project and press Edit / File Root / Set as File Root. But next time I load the program it presents an unwanted Family. I am obviously doing something wrong.
If you want to start with the same person every time rather than the last person worked on, then turn off the option in Tools>Preferences and the Startup Tab. Also check you have saved the Project after setting the File Root.
Last edited by tatewise on 07 Jan 2024 11:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split and renamed topic
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Billy, but please start a new thread for each topic rather than using an unrelated thread.
I have started two new threads for your two recent postings.

You talk about starting FH on the same Project but go on to mention File Root and Families.

To set the default startup Project use the File > Project Window... command, then right-click the desired Project and choose Set as Default Project. Then that Project will open by default when you run FH.

Users have long requested that FH starts with the the same person in Focus in the Focus Window as was in Focus when FH was closed.

The Tools > Preferences > Startup tab shows the Default Startup File nominated as explained above.
It also has Startup actions... for Display the Last-Used Focus Person in the Focus Window so if you do not want that to happen then untick that option.

However, once you have set the File Root person they can be brought into Focus with one click of the Home button near the left of the top toolbar:
image.png
image.png (11.41 KiB) Viewed 507 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Billy Nagloc

Post by Billy Nagloc »

Thank you to the two FHUG users who provided an answer to my question about Start Default.
You were both most helpful in the advice you gave.
Billy Nagloc