* TNG and FH event witnesses standoff

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
ADC65
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Re: TNG and FH event witnesses standoff

Post by ADC65 »

Thanks Mike, the minor changes appear to work successfully.

The interleaving of the CONT and SOUR tags has been improved when selecting Before other notes. The GEDCOM produced now reads as follows:

Code: Select all

1 BAPM
2 DATE 23 AUG 1916
2 PLAC Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
2 ADDR Christ Church, Sparkbrook
2 NOTE Godparent:	 <a href="getperson.php?personID=I3797&amp;tree=primarytree">Elizabeth Harriet HAWKINS</a>
3 CONT Godparent:	 <a href="getperson.php?personID=I3802&amp;tree=primarytree">Elizabeth Gipsy BRADFORD</a>
3 CONT Godparent:	 <a href="getperson.php?personID=I3855&amp;tree=primarytree">James FERRIER</a>
3 SOUR @S2459@
3 SOUR @S2459@
3 SOUR @S2459@
3 CONT Godparents were her grandmother (Elizabeth Harriet JONES nee BRADFORD nee HAWKINS), and her aunt Elizabeth Gipsy HEARN nee BRADFORD (listed as Vera HEARN), and her father James FERRIER.
2 SOUR @S2459@
Unfortunately the final line of the note (starting "Godparents were her grandmother...") does not appear on the TNG screen, probably because it has an intervening SOUR line still. This is a TNG problem with GEDCOM I would say (on your advice) and I'm not going to worry about it as I'm happy to have After other notes set.

Also, the Source itself is only tagged once by TNG, as previously, as I guess it doesn't know which of the three relates to which NOTE or CONT. TNG just tags it on to the end of the James FERRIER line, which is fine. If they were separate sources somehow (unlikely here as they all relate the the same event and source), it would just list all three in brackets after him. I don't think you can win this one, as if you were to somehow convert the CONTS to NOTES with their own SOUR, they would appear as three separate NOTES on the TNG screen, which would be far from ideal.

As I say, this is not an issue for me as I am very happy with the layout provided by After other notes
Adrian Cook
Researching Cook, Summers, Phipps and Bradford, mainly in Wales and the South West of England
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ah! I'd overlooked the case of a Fact having an existing Note. :oops:
Also, in GEDCOM 5.5.1 such Source Citations on Note fields are not allowed and the plugin should elevate them to the Fact itself.
This plugin update seems very close to a satisfactory solution.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ADC65
Superstar

Post by ADC65 »

tatewise wrote: 12 Dec 2023 18:27 Also, in GEDCOM 5.5.1 such Source Citations on Note fields are not allowed and the plugin should elevate them to the Fact itself.
That's interesting, I didn't know that. I guess the Fact already has that from the final "2 SOUR @S2459@".

TNG can, apparently, import GEDCOM 7 now. I think I did try it once, for fun :roll: I didn't test it very thoroughly and I don't think I'm going to start any time soon.

Yes, the plugin is great Mike, many thanks again for your support.
Adrian Cook
Researching Cook, Summers, Phipps and Bradford, mainly in Wales and the South West of England
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, those Note Citations are not specified in GEDCOM 5.5.1 but FH has retained them for backward compatibility with FH V6 and GEDCOM 5.5 as well as forward compatibility with GEDCOM 7.0 which reintroduces them!

When it gets fully supported, GEDCOM 7.0 will be a step forward from GEDCOM 5.5.1.
Unfortunately, it may not fully resolve semantic interpretations of Shared Fact Witnesses such as in TNG.
Currently, FH does not export using the GEDCOM 7.0 version of Shared Fact Witnesses (2 _SHAR => 2 ASSO) and the ROLE format required. I have reported that to CP.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

BTW: Does anyone know for sure whether TNG supports GEDCOM 5.5.1 as well as GEDCOM 5.5?
A key difference is GEDCOM 5.5.1 uses FACT tags for Attribute facts whereas GEDCOM 5.5 uses EVEN tags.
The Media structure is also different.
Last edited by tatewise on 19 Dec 2023 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove redundant comment
ADC65
Superstar

Post by ADC65 »

tatewise wrote: 16 Dec 2023 20:58 BTW: Does anyone know for sure whether TNG supports GEDCOM 5.5.1 as well as GEDCOM 5.5?
A key difference is GEDCOM 5.5.1 uses FACT tags for Attribute facts whereas GEDCOM 5.5 uses EVEN tags.
I can't give you a definitive answer but I can email Darrin if you want.

When Exporting a GEDCOM from TNG, it supplies the file in VERS 5.5.1 so my guess is it does support it. There is no option to export a different version GEDCOM.

If you want further tests, I'd be happy to load an example file, or give me some further details and I can compile one myself.
Adrian Cook
OlivierM
Famous

Post by OlivierM »

tatewise wrote: 16 Dec 2023 20:58 FYI: I can only see those TNG pages if I sign in, so I guess nobody else can see them.

BTW: Does anyone know for sure whether TNG supports GEDCOM 5.5.1 as well as GEDCOM 5.5?
You will find some insight on how TNG imports events here= https://tng.community/index.php?/forums ... ment-90380 and following thread

I do not know if this is always 100 % accurate today, but at least this is the way I experience the event import in TNG.
I started with Reunion > 30 years ago, later TMG.
I now use FH as main software, TNG to share my data.
Transkribus to decipher old texts.
Genealogica Grafica, TCGB and My Family Tree to view & check my data. And Genopro for its layered reports.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Olivier, thank you for that thread which is quite recent.
It suggests that TNG does not support many of the GEDCOM 5.5.1 changes compared to GEDCOM 5.5.
In particular, it does not fully support the Custom Attribute FACT tag and needs EVEN tags instead.
That rings a bell from my last attempts to use GEDCOM 5.5.1 export mode, so I'll stick to GEDCOM 5.5.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The updated Export Gedcom File plugin Version 5.6 Date 18 Dec 2023 is in the FH Plugin Store.

The associated Help & Advice pages have also been updated.

The earlier prototype attachments in this thread will be deleted shortly.
OlivierM
Famous

Post by OlivierM »

tatewise wrote: 19 Dec 2023 15:08 The updated Export Gedcom File plugin Version 5.6 Date 18 Dec 2023 is in the FH Plugin Store.

The associated Help & Advice pages have also been updated.
Thank you Mike - you can also delete all my related posts : I deleted the trees that I useed as example.

Regarding the export gedcom file Help and Advice - is there a reason why you did not include the TNG page you wrote ? https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... generation
I started with Reunion > 30 years ago, later TMG.
I now use FH as main software, TNG to share my data.
Transkribus to decipher old texts.
Genealogica Grafica, TCGB and My Family Tree to view & check my data. And Genopro for its layered reports.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, I'll delete the links to your TNG trees.

The TNG help you mention is one of the many Plugin Store help pages!
If you look closely it describes the new TNG hyperlink feature for Fact Witnesses which is some of the updates.
At the bottom, it links to other help pages for the plugin.
Also, click on the Help & Advice button in the plugin to reach the same pages.

Usually, users start with the Help for the plugin tabs and then the 'GEDCOM Destination' help page which leads to all the products such as RootsMagic and TNG from you can link back. Users cannot usually start from the destination product help pages. You only get there because I posted that link.