* Export file/Empty Gedcom

Questions about exporting information from FH to other programs and websites
cosfordparker
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Export file/Empty Gedcom

Post by cosfordparker »

Greetings - I'm trying to export my FH database to a gedcom.

1. File-Export: The export screen comes up, I include everyone and uncheck appropriate boxes. Hit OK
2. File naming screen: I name the file. Hit Save
3. I am returned to the regular FH working screen
4. The gedcom is created, but it's empty.

I've not experienced this before - I thought perhaps my database was corrupted, but FH is otherwise working fine. Any thoughts?

Thanks --
BillH
Megastar

Re: Export file/Empty Gedcom

Post by BillH »

Can you attach a print screen of your Export GEDCOM File window so we can see what options you are using?

It looks something like this:

image1.jpg
image1.jpg (69.73 KiB) Viewed 3541 times

Bill
Bill Henshaw
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

To attach a screenshot see the Forum Usage Tips under Attachments and Taking Screenshots.

Please also provide your evidence that the GEDCOM file empty.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
cosfordparker
Silver

Post by cosfordparker »

Thank you, Gentlemen -

While I was getting the screenprint, I decided to try opening the gedcom in a different program. Gedscape wouldn't open the gedcom, Legacy opened it and found all the appropriate data, as did Mac Family Tree. TMG opened the gedcom, but showed no data.

So, apparently, the gedcom isn't empty after all. Interestingly, the gedcom file size changed depending on what program had opened it. At creation, the file size was 120kb. After Legacy and MFT, it was 2000kb and 1896kb (that's how it was reported) respectively. After TMG , the gedcom showed 0kb. I don't want to go there, but it is interesting.

Attached is a screenshot of the original export screen and the screen with my changes. The file format is changed because TMG can't handle UTF-8 and requires ANSI.
Attachments
FH export screen SCP.jpg
FH export screen SCP.jpg (359.84 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
FH Export original screen.jpg
FH Export original screen.jpg (310.04 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

You'd do better using the Export GEDCOM File plugin which allows you to do the export in a format specific to your target application.
John Elvin
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

cosfordparker wrote: 18 Aug 2023 03:22 So, apparently, the gedcom isn't empty after all. Interestingly, the gedcom file size changed depending on what program had opened it.
Looks like things are OK in the gedcom. I can't explain why different programs would report different sizes or why TMG seems to think it is empty.

If you end up having any other questions on this, be sure and ask.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
trevithick
Platinum

Post by trevithick »

jelv,

I have successfully exported gedcoms from FH7 many times, but lately, they all are reported as empty when I upload to Wikitree.com. I can look at the uploaded "Raw" data from the site, and it is clearly not empty, but does have three odd characters at the beginning of the file that do not show up when looking at the gedcom locally.

Reading help on Wikitree and reading gedcom Help for FH, it appears that the only way to export a gedcom of a subset of people is using the File/Export option and then adding the persons of interest. Even selecting only one person results in an "empty" gedcom.

Wikitree wants the gedcom 5.5 standard and UTF-8 encoding which I'm using; I've tried others as well with not luck.

I am baffled as to why this no longer works.

And, I've tried uploading with my VPN paused with no difference.
Attachments
Odd characters at beginning of uploaded gedcom
Odd characters at beginning of uploaded gedcom
WikiTree Gedcom File with Odd Characters.png (64.74 KiB) Viewed 1480 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That GEDCOM file prefix ÿþ is the UTF-16 BOM which is rarely supported by other products.

It should be the prefix  UTF-8 BOM or nothing at all.

I wonder if you have set Tools > Preferences > File Load/Save to Save in UTF-16 file format (see the Help).
That setting seems to apply to both the Project GEDCOM and Export > GEDCOM File... command.

BTW: If Wikitree wants the GEDCOM 5.5 standard then sending a GEDCOM 5.5.1 file (as in your screenshot) may cause problems with Attribute facts and Media being mishandled or omitted.
trevithick
Platinum

Post by trevithick »

Yes Mike, that is what I did some time ago. I didn't realize it would affect GEDCOM exports as well, especially when an 8 bit option is selected.

I just changed it back to the default 8 bit Save format.

The Default export option is the only one that is not program specific. I believe I read somewhere in the Help file that Default was GEDCOM 5.5. If not, I don't see a 5.5 export option.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, it is best to stick with UTF-8 and avoid UTF-16. I'm also surprised that option affects exported GEDCOM files.
You might think it worthwhile reporting that effect to CP.

It is true that if you choose any value as the Destination except "GEDCOM 7", the resulting GEDCOM file will be in GEDCOM 5.5.1 format.

The only way to produce GEDCOM 5.5 format is to use the Export Gedcom File plugin and select GEDCOM Destination: (Std) Standard GEDCOM Release 5.5. There is a range of options that cater for many popular variations of GEDCOM structures. If you need any help with them then just ask.
BTW: The plugin ignores the Tools > Preferences setting and produces valid UTF-8 if that is selected.
trevithick
Platinum

Post by trevithick »

Thank you Mike for your clarification on GEDCOM export format.

Changing to 8 bit format did indeed fix my problem. I agree that selecting 16 bit Save/Save As should not affect GEDCOM exports when an 8 bit format is specifically selected. I will report that to CP.

I would love to use the Export GEDCOM File Plugin, but as near as I can tell, and yes I've read the Help file till my eyes gloss over, there is no way to select a subset of Individuals. That would create an insurmountable upload to WikiTree for several reasons. There is a limit of 5k Individuals, and you have to Compare and Match possible duplicate Individuals that already exist in the database.

WikiTree is a One Family website, and as such it only allows a single entry for an Individual. Merges of multiple profiles for a single person is one way that is dealt with. It is a great site, and offers some excellent tools via browser plugins.
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

You could copy the project and delete all the individuals you don't want using the split tree helper to remove the other unneeded record types, then export from that using the plugin.
John Elvin
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, the options are suggested on the plugin opening Help page Export Gedcom File:
If a subset of Project data is needed, use some of the techniques below, then run the plugin on the resultant GEDCOM as explained in the Frequently Asked Questions.

File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File… to get a subset GEDCOM file
File > Project Window > More Tasks… > Copy Project and File > Split Tree Helper…
Tools > Plugins > Clean Living Persons to hide sensitive details
I suggest you use the Manage Settings tab and choose Global ProgramData so the same settings apply to all Export/Project GEDCOM.
trevithick
Platinum

Post by trevithick »

I use the File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File… to get a subset GEDCOM file approach.

I will have to try the second approach, Splitting the Tree, but it sounds intimidating. I'll look at it.

Thanks jelv and Mike!
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

Its pretty straight forward. I do something similar frequently. I copy my tree twice and trim the copies down to my family and my wife's (using split tree helper) ready to Sync with Ancestry trees for our respective DNA matches.
John Elvin
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If you are more comfortable with using File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File… then that is fine.
It is one of the options suggested in the plugin Help page I posted.
Just open the exported GEDCOM file in FH and run the Export Gedcom File plugin that way.

However, the Copy Project and File > Split Tree Helper… alternative offers many more options for pruning your data to satisfy what Wikitree prefers.