* Installing FH under virtual machine on a Mac

Questions about Installing FH, Migrating FH to another PC, and upgrading FH
amk1609
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Installing FH under virtual machine on a Mac

Post by amk1609 »

I have been running FH (still V6.2) under VirtualBox on my Macbook for several years without any real problems (many thanks to Mervyn Ashby for great advice). However my Mac (2017 model) is now in need of replacing, and looking at the latest 2023 model (M3 chip) I am getting the impression that VirtualBox is not the best option(may not even work?). So I am thinking about Parallels and would appreciate any advice from users who are running this configuration (Parallels/Mac/M3), what version of Windows (I am still using the old but very reliable Windows 7!), and any advice and/or issues they have. Many thanks in advance
PS I also rely heavily on my Microsoft Money 2005 with many years of accounts! I know it runs on Win10, I know it's not this forum but maybe others do the same?
Tony Jones
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Re: Installing FH under virtual machine on a Mac

Post by Tony Jones »

Not quite the same, but Parallels Intel Win 10. Parallels is a little pricey and a little quirky to set up to best effect, but seems rock solid.
Using an iMac Ventura Intel via Parallels v19 / Win 10 64-bit
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

@amk1609

To continue running Family Historian in a Windows virtual machine on a 'M' series Silicon Mac there are now a few working options, but Oracle VirtualBox is not yet one of them. Oracle's developers appear to have started their development by first working on 'emulation' rather than virtualisation, so it's O.K if you want to run Windows XP but not much use for running anything that needs Windows 10/11 and it seems likely to take them some time to produce a real working solution. To be fair, they do describe their current beta application a Developer Preview with "moderate performance" and not yet fit for use in a production environment.

The real option is the virtualisation of "Windows 11 for ARM" and there are currently 3 main options for achieving that:

- Parallels - a relatively expensive option, especially with the need to regularly upgrade Parallels.

- VMWare Fusion - Equally expensive if you choose the commercial option, but they do offer a 'Freeware' option for personal use only, so well worth considering especially as, in addition to the official guides available, there is an Unofficial Companion Guide (warts and all) produced; and regularly updated, by one of the main contributors to their User Forum, which provides detailed information on virtual machine installation and work arounds for known problems and 'missing' features. Fusion Version 13.5 is compatible with macOS Ventura and Sonoma; and has also added some features missing from the initial 13.0 release.

Like Parallels the application will install on both Intel and 'M' Series Macs, but will only install/run ARM Virtual Machines (Windows and Linux only) on 'M' Series and x32-64 bit Operating Systems on Intel Macs.

Links:
https://customerconnect.vmware.com/eval ... r-personal
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMwar ... -p/2939907

- UTM An open source (free to use) donation supported project which also produces a 'universal app' which runs on both old and new Macs, but in addition to what Parallels and VMWare offer it can also:
a) use QEMU to emulate other CPUs on M Series Macs which allows older x32-64 bit Operating Systems to be installed; and
b) Uses the Apple Hypervisor to enable the virtualisation of recent macOS Operating Systems and new Beta versions.

Links:
https://mac.getutm.app
https://github.com/utmapp/UTM
- Also available on the macOS and iOS App Stores for a small cost, which goes to support continuing development.

Hope that helps.

Mervyn
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Does this new advice need to be captured in FHUG KB Running Family Historian on a Virtual Machine which despite its title only mentions Oracle VirtualBox and none of the options described here by Mervyn?
However, this is not my area of expertise.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Mike (and any KB Editor interested),

I'm happy for the information provided to be added to the KB article in whatever format is considered suitable, but don't personally have editing rights.

I do intend fully testing the VMware (Free Personal Use License) and UTM Windows for ARM installation process, as soon as I get time and will provide further feedback if needed.

Mervyn
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You can request an editor's account - it is afHUG KB Contribute option https://www.fhug.org.uk/kb/request-an-editors-account/
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Mike,

I'll try to sort something out over in the coming week, but do want to test at least one of the main virtualisation options personally on a 'new' Silicon Mac.

Having used VirtualBox for over 10 years, and still having a useable 2019/20 Intel Mac, familiarisation with 'newer' Macs and other virtualisation options has been on the back-burner for some time, although I have been following developments and doing the necessary background research.

Mervyn
amk1609
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by amk1609 »

Many thanks for the very detailed input from Mervyn. I have spent some time reading and researching - was perfectly happy with VirtualBox but now feel the whole area with the new M chip Macs a bit too much in its infancy so will upgrade my Mac and in the interim get a cheap refurbished Windows machine just for FH & Money !!
Easy way out but I just need something which works out of the box!
May revisit again when the technology is more developed.
Thanks again