* AS not saving source files in correct place

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
ississi
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

AS not saving source files in correct place

Post by ississi »

FH 7, AS 7.8.1

Hi, recently I've found that FH can't find some some source image files. On investigation I found these were all for censuses that I'd added with AS. Previously, on importing via AS, they'd be moved from the folder they were in into the media folder for that project.

Recently (I don't know when this started) I've found that they aren't moved into the media folder but are linked to where they came from. The reason I noticed this is because I have a directory of sources I've found, and I gradually add them to my FH project when I have time to do so. Once I've added them I move the source file to a 'done' folder (as a paranoid backup (thank god or i'd've lost all these census source files)). This is why they've now shown up as missing in External File Links in FH.

All files added directly in FH are going into the media folder ok.

So, how do I get AS to (re-)start saving the source files in the FH project media folder, please?

Many thanks
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: AS not saving source files in correct place

Post by NickWalker »

When you select an image to save in AS it will initially ask this question:

image.png
image.png (15.03 KiB) Viewed 1336 times

Back in v7.5 I added the 'Remember my response' tick box at the bottom. So if you always want to choose a folder or never want to choose a folder, it doesn't always ask you this same question every time.

From what you've described it sounds like you may have answered "No" to the "Do you want to copy the selected image into your project folder" question with the "Remember my response for this project and do not ask again" ticked. In that scenario AS would obey your request and not copy the image to your folder.

If you go to Tools->Project Specific Settings... then I think you will see the setting below is shown. So tick than box and click Reset. Then next time you select an image, make sure you click "Yes" with "Remember my response" ticked on the dialogue above.

image.png
image.png (5.51 KiB) Viewed 1336 times

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
ississi
Diamond

Post by ississi »

Wonderful! I had noticed it had stopped prompting me, and did look at the Project Specific Settings, but didn't realise that's what 'Show 'Copy Image File' dialogue' meant.

Thank you :) :) :)
Buchanquine
Silver

Post by Buchanquine »

I have the same issue, but do not get the Copy Image File dialogue. See screenshot. I have the latest update, but had his issue before the update as well. The reset button is greyed out.
AS Snipped image.jpg
AS Snipped image.jpg (77.68 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Do you definitely have the project open in AS when you clicked to view those settings?
Nick Walker

Buchanquine
Silver

Post by Buchanquine »

Just went in and checked. Yes my project is open.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Nick,

Mine is grayed out as well. I assumed it was because I have no project specific settings set.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

Ditto for mine, but, I have made no changes, and the box tells me that, as per the other screenshot here
Neil Grantham
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow and Birchall
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

NickWalker wrote: 30 Aug 2023 15:16 Do you definitely have the project open in AS when you clicked to view those settings?
I'm seeing the menu item greyed out if no file is open in AS or the file open is a ged file, not a project.
John Elvin
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ditto. Same as the Buchanquine screenshot.
I had the same missing option in AS v7.6.6 and it persists in AS v7.8.1
Maybe there is a Settings XML file tag missing.

I have many Projects and all the ones I've tried are the same.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

The Tools->Project Specific Settings... menu item should be greyed out if a GEDCOM file has been opened rather than a project. Currently if AS opens without a default project or file opened then the setting isn't greyed out - this will be fixed in the next version, which is why I asked the question. If a project or file is open and then closed then it does correctly grey out.

So if a project is open then you should be able to access the Project Specific Settings.

If the Show Copy Image File setting is not shown then this means you haven't ticked the 'Remember my response' check box that I discussed in my first answer in this thread.

If that setting isn't there and you're not seeing the 'Copy Image File' dialogue when saving a media file in AS then i think this suggests the file you're opening is already in the project folder. i.e. AS won't offer to copy the file into the project media if it's already there.
Nick Walker

Buchanquine
Silver

Post by Buchanquine »

Hi Nick
I have double checked and it is a Project I am opening. As you say, if I open a Gedcom, or if nothing is opened that option in the Tools menu is greyed out. The media file I want to add is a new one. I have looked and it is not in the Media tab, nor is it in the Media File in the Project folder.
I cannot remember seeing the "remember my response" check box, but I must have checked it at some time as the media files were attaching correctly until fairly recently. I hadn't made a conection between various updates, as someone else had, but that is a possiblity.
What I have been doing is adding the media on the "facts" tab to the relevant fact. This allows me to add the file and save it to the Media file, then I can find it in AS and add it to the Source Citation.
Buchanquine
Silver

Post by Buchanquine »

I seem to have solved it - not sure how! I renamed the project file I was working on, then tried again and this time the box came up asking me to remember my response. I dont know if renaming it was what did it, or something else.
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

NickWalker wrote: 30 Aug 2023 17:15So if a project is open then you should be able to access the Project Specific Settings.
For clarity, do you mean the menu item Tools>Project Specific Settings... should be grey if a project is not open, or the Reset option on the dialogue that opens?

With Project closed, the menu item is grey (V7.8.2), with it open, it is active.
With Project open, and the dialogue open, the Reset option is greyed out
Neil Grantham
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow and Birchall
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

neil40 wrote: 30 Aug 2023 19:15 For clarity, do you mean the menu item Tools>Project Specific Settings... should be grey if a project is not open, or the Reset option on the dialogue that opens?

With Project closed, the menu item is grey (V7.8.2), with it open, it is active.
With Project open, and the dialogue open, the Reset option is greyed out
I was talking about the menu item.

The reset button is disabled because you've not selecting a setting to reset. Currently there is only one setting that can appear (the one in the first screenshot I posted in this thread). If you don't have that setting then the reset button will never be enabled. I assumed one day I'd add more project specific settings so I can add more things to that list in future in future.
Nick Walker

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Buchanquine wrote: 30 Aug 2023 18:18 I seem to have solved it - not sure how! I renamed the project file I was working on, then tried again and this time the box came up asking me to remember my response. I dont know if renaming it was what did it, or something else.
Glad you solved it. My best guess is one of the project files that AS would expect to see wasn't there or the name didn't match the project and that renaming the project fixed that.
Nick Walker