* Migrating to FH7 from MacFamily Tree

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
WillKloss
Family Historian: V7

Migrating to FH7 from MacFamily Tree

Post by WillKloss »

Who can help me or if give me some good advice?

I am a MacFamily Tree user for a long time but i am not satisfied with how MFT handles sources, citations et cetera. Therefore Family Historian seems a nice program to migrate my MFT tree into it.

The question is: has anyone any experience with this move, particularly since I have read that MFT' Gedcom has a poor incompatibility to some other programs?

Who can help me out?

PS: this is not a question about whether or not I can use FH7 on a Mac, since I run a Parallells virtual Machine (Windows 11)
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Migrating to FH7 from MacFamily Tree

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG, Will.

I have moved this to the 'Importing' forum that seems more appropriate.

BTW: Your Profile says you are using FH V6. Is that correct?

There is general advice in the FHUG Knowledge Base wiki for Importing to Family Historian and even the advice dedicated to importing from other programs may offer useful tips.

I don't recall anyone importing from Mac Family Tree recently but the techniques are similar for any program.
If the GEDCOM is indeed poor then there may need to be more corrections involved than usual.
However, the users here will be more than willing to help.

The first step is to export the GEDCOM file from Mac Family Tree and in FH use the File > Project Window dialogue to create a New Project. Then we can review the resulting Project together. FH is quite good at importing all the data even if it is not correctly structured GEDCOM.

As well as the GEDCOM file does your Mac Family Tree have many Media items (photos, document images, etc.) that also need to be transferred? If so then they may add an additional challenge.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Migrating to FH7 from MacFamily Tree

Post by tatewise »

Thank you for updating your Profile to FH V7.

I have Google searched for MacFamily Tree advice on exporting GEDCOM.
It seems to support GEDCOM 5.5.1 and UTF-8 formatting, which is what FH likes best.
You may have to choose a Windows compatible Line feed format instead of MacOS Default.

I notice it supports exporting a GedZip file which includes GEDCOM and Media files.
FH also supports importing from a GEDZIP file so that may be worth trying.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry