* Source field query

Questions about Generic and Templated Sources within FH and their associated Citations and Repositories
redx593
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Source field query

Post by redx593 »

Hello,
I've been entering family information into FH for several years but foolishly neglected to add source information at the same time. Now I have the daunting task of adding source info for several hundred individuals, but before I get too far into it I would like to know if they way I'm filling out the source fields is acceptable.

The image below shows what I've added for a Scottish OPR birth record which I have in my possession (name changed). Is this the correct way or am I doing it wrong? For example is the "Date" field meant for the date of the event, or for the date I acquired the record? I also don't know if I need to fill in the "Short title" and "Publication info" blank fields.

Thankyou.

AdrianBruce
Megastar

Re: Source field query

Post by AdrianBruce »

Ask 10 people and you'll get 12 different answers... However...

Tip number 1 is to run off a report for a fact with sources and ask yourself whether you could find the source again. And a harder test might be - could you go to the Archives containing the paper copy and find the original paper version? After consulting their catalogue, of course.

2) At some point soon you should try and read the Knowledge Base on sources and citations - https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/sourc ... new-users/ But take your time over it... ;)

In particular, see the link to "Ancestral Sources" in the bottom section titled "An Alternative Way..." Ancestral Sources is an add-on to FH that should make it easier to produce detailed and consistent sources.

As for your specific questions:
3) Date: Different people do it differently but my belief is that it's best used for when the source was created - which will often be the date of the event but not always. For instance, on a source for a birth certificate, I usually enter the date of registration there, rather than the date of birth. Doesn't make much difference in the UK but some places have Delayed Registration documents where the registration can be years after the event.

Entering the date that you acquired the source? Some people do that but I've never been motivated to keep that info.

4) Short Title vs. Title. I now enter both - the Short Title I use as (no surprise) a short title for the source record - an easily understood short-hand. The (long) Title I use more as a full description that forms the basis of the report to tell me where something came from. For instance:

Short Title - Baptismal record: Pitkeathly, Robert, 1788, Perth

(Long) Title - baptism entry for Robert Pitkeathly, born 13 November 1788, baptised 16 November 1788, parish register volume 9 1787-89, p.196 of 345, hand-written page no. 184

(It's not always possible to find what volume the parish register is, and it's usually not necessary given the other stuff. Page numbers, on the other hand, are useful when stuff is entered out of order).

5) Publication Data - For me, this is the basis of where I found the source. For instance,

Publication Info - digital image in Church of Scotland (Old Parish Registers) Marriages, ScotlandsPeople, citing GROS Data 389/ 50 136

What that means is that what you have in the Custom Id, I'd put in the Publication Data and (Long) Title. Doesn't mean my way is better - it's just different. (I never use the Custom Id).

6) Repository - I would want to make sure that somewhere in my source record, it makes clear whether I got the stuff from ScotlandsPeople or from a visit to the physical archives. One way of doing that would be to set Repository to ScotlandsPeople or NRS (Edinburgh) respectively.
Adrian
redx593
Platinum

Post by redx593 »

AdrianBruce wrote: 20 Aug 2023 17:25
2) At some point soon you should try and read the Knowledge Base on sources and citations - https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/sourc ... new-users/ But take your time over it... ;)

In particular, see the link to "Ancestral Sources" in the bottom section titled "An Alternative Way..." Ancestral Sources is an add-on to FH that should make it easier to produce detailed and consistent sources.
Hi Adrian,
Thanks for the informative reply. I have been reading the knowledge base section on sources and also a lot of information about the subject on the web. My old brain is having trouble absorbing it all, but I'll continue to stick at it.

I'd heard about Ancestral Sources and thought I'd try it but it's a Windows program. I'm running Family Historian v7 in Linux Mint via Crossover. Apparently Ancestral Sources v4 works well in Crossover/Linux but it's an old version and the .exe installer download for it is no longer available. I tried installing Ancestral Sources v7 via Crossover but it gets rejected halfway through the process.

Guess I'll just have to plug along without it. Thanks again for the advice.

redx593
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Have you seen the FHUG Knowledge Base advice on Running Family Historian on Crossover?
Some of it needs updating but to install Ancestral Sources (AS) the Microsoft .NET Framework V3.5 SP1 is needed.
The advice says that in Crossover you must tick the Microsoft .NET Framework option before installing AS.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

tatewise wrote: 21 Aug 2023 09:20 Some of it needs updating but to install Ancestral Sources (AS) the Microsoft .NET Framework V3.5 SP1 is needed.
This isn't correct - Ancestral Sources has used .Net Framework 4.8 for the last 3 years since version 7. But you are correct that the .Net Framework will need to be installed before AS.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

It might be worth adding an auto signature to your profile (similar to Nick’s description of AS) giving your system configuration.

There are a number of FH7 features that don’t work correctly (or at all) under Crossover, so it will act as a reminder for future postings so you don’t have to mention it every time.
Mark Draper
redx593
Platinum

Post by redx593 »

tatewise wrote: 21 Aug 2023 09:20 Have you seen the FHUG Knowledge Base advice on Running Family Historian on Crossover?
Some of it needs updating but to install Ancestral Sources (AS) the Microsoft .NET Framework V3.5 SP1 is needed.
The advice says that in Crossover you must tick the Microsoft .NET Framework option before installing AS.
Yes, thankyou, I have read that information on Crossover. When trying to do the install today it did ask to install Microsoft .NET Framework (I forget which version) but when it finished installing that, the Ancestral Sources installer froze with an error message, then closed. I just think Ancestral Sources 7 is not compatible yet. Crossover says AS v4 works well and they have a beta version of AS v5, but nothing for AS v7 which is the only version available for download now.
redx593
Platinum

Post by redx593 »

NickWalker wrote: 21 Aug 2023 09:37
tatewise wrote: 21 Aug 2023 09:20 Some of it needs updating but to install Ancestral Sources (AS) the Microsoft .NET Framework V3.5 SP1 is needed.
This isn't correct - Ancestral Sources has used .Net Framework 4.8 for the last 3 years since version 7. But you are correct that the .Net Framework will need to be installed before AS.
Maybe that's why the install failed today. I may have had the wrong version of Netframework. Thanks for the info.
redx593
Platinum

Post by redx593 »

Mark1834 wrote: 21 Aug 2023 10:43 It might be worth adding an auto signature to your profile (similar to Nick’s description of AS) giving your system configuration.

There are a number of FH7 features that don’t work correctly (or at all) under Crossover, so it will act as a reminder for future postings so you don’t have to mention it every time.
I'ts a good idea but I don't know how he added it. I might need some hints on how to go about it.

The only problem I've struck so far with FH7 in Crossover is that I can't drag and drop images files into the media section of the property box. The box flashes black for a split second then carries on normally without accepting the image. It's not a big deal though.

Cheers.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It seems that KB advice 'Running Family Historian on Crossover' should be added to the 'Maintaining the KnowledgeBase' forum so that experts in using Crossover with FH V7 and AS V7 can describe the required updates.
redx593
Platinum

Post by redx593 »

tatewise wrote: 21 Aug 2023 14:43 It seems that KB advice 'Running Family Historian on Crossover' should be added to the 'Maintaining the KnowledgeBase' forum so that experts in using Crossover with FH V7 and AS V7 can describe the required updates.
Yes, the Knowledge Base Crossover advice page is outdated, it states -

"The advice below applies to the current version of Crossover..............
CrossOver Mac Version 19.0.1
CrossOver Linux Version 19.0.1"

Crossover has moved on since then, it recently released Version 23, which is what I'm using now.

I've not got into FH7 on Crossover v23 far enough yet to discover all of the glitches it might have, but so far it works very well in my Linux Mint OS. For instance, I've not had problems with viewing and creating .pdf's, even though it's a reported issue in the Knowledge Base.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Please post any other KB issues in the Running Family Historian on Crossover (22199) thread.
redx593
Platinum

Post by redx593 »

tatewise wrote: 22 Aug 2023 09:59 Please post any other KB issues in the Running Family Historian on Crossover (22199) thread.
Noted.