* Places & Address

Questions about managing place and address information, and using maps and geocoding
Croftian
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Places & Address

Post by Croftian »

I'm sorting out my Places & Addresses, as over the years I've left a mess. I decided to have the address as the first column in Places. I'm happy to search obscure locations on various maps (I'm a "Mapolic") to obtain the co-ordinates. Is there any way to link the Address links across to the Places (see attached). At present I'm deleting each fact place and replacing with a copy of the address, which works, and is no problem with small amounts of records, but becomes onerous for multiple records (some of my places have hundreds of links).
as an aside How would I phrase a wish list request to highlight a chosen record in the query window across the entire line ?
Ian
Address & Place update.JPG
Address & Place update.JPG (326.05 KiB) Viewed 2249 times
BillH
Megastar

Re: Places & Address

Post by BillH »

Take a look at the plugin Rearrange Address and Place Parts. It might do what you want.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

I don’t understand why you would want to do that, doesn’t make it easy for autogeocoding - but hey, each to his own

What I did spot in you query results is that you are inconsistent in how you use commas and spaces when you specify a place for the residence.
I spotted ,[space]Croft,[space]Lancashire,[space]England and Croft,Lancashire, England with no spaces nor leading comma!
Consistency is the key in whatever method you use to store addresses and places.
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, my Rearrange Address and Place Parts plugin will do exactly what you want.
However, you may need to tidy your Address fields and Place fields so they are consistent.

As Mike says, currently they are inconsistent. Those different layouts are referring to different Place records.

If you run the plugin even without any defined changes the fields are all automatically tidied.
I advise that you perform test runs on a copy of your Project to avoid any mishaps.

I suspect you have not reviewed FHUG KB Working with Places and Addresses which gives useful advice and refers to the plugin.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, I forgot to comment on your 'aside' about Query rows.
That was discussed in [Wish List Reference 567] Highlight complete selected row in Records Window (17298) and resulted in Wish List Ref 567 Highlight selected Row(s) in Records Window which was closed when partially implemented in FH V7.0.
Unfortunately, although mentioned in both the discussion thread and the Wish List entry, the Query Result Set row highlighting was not implemented. However, that gives the format for raising a Wish List entry for Query Result Sets.

BTW: It would be better to start separate postings for separate topics rather than merge them into one posting.
Croftian
Diamond

Post by Croftian »

Gowermick wrote: 10 May 2023 18:06 I don’t understand why you would want to do that, doesn’t make it easy for autogeocoding - but hey, each to his own

What I did spot in you query results is that you are inconsistent in how you use commas and spaces when you specify a place for the residence.
I spotted ,[space]Croft,[space]Lancashire,[space]England and Croft,Lancashire, England with no spaces nor leading comma!
Consistency is the key in whatever method you use to store addresses and places.
Thanks Mike, I was aware my records were a mess, my only excuse is they are from versions 2,3,4 & 7, so a lack of consistency on my part ;) As for the Geocoding I find the map window gives me a rough geocode, which I can refine using a variety of mapping sources, and I love working with maps :) :)
tatewise wrote: 10 May 2023 18:23 Yes, my Rearrange Address and Place Parts plugin will do exactly what you want.
However, you may need to tidy your Address fields and Place fields so they are consistent.

As Mike says, currently they are inconsistent. Those different layouts are referring to different Place records.

If you run the plugin even without any defined changes the fields are all automatically tidied.
I advise that you perform test runs on a copy of your Project to avoid any mishaps.

I suspect you have not reviewed FHUG KB Working with Places and Addresses which gives useful advice and refers to the plugin.
Thanks Mike. I had studied the "working with places and addresses"
I used your plug in to tidy the fields, it worked a treat. But I couldn't work out how to use the plug in to solve my dilemma, because I can't work out how to link the address and associated facts into the Places database, sorry if I'm being vague.

Ian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ian, see the screenshot below.
The specific details depend upon how many 'tidied' columns of Addresses and Places you have.
It helps a lot if they are all very consistent.

You will probably need to use Tools > Work with Data > Places and increase the number of Columns to accommodate your combined Address and Place arrangement.

The screenshot assumes you have a maximum of 3 Address columns and 7 Place columns to start with.
Notice how the 3 Address column parts are assigned to the first 3 Place column parts.
The existing Place column parts 1 to 7 are shifted to Place column parts 4 to 10.
The Address columns are all deleted, i.e. <blank>.

Rearrange.png
Rearrange.png (65.82 KiB) Viewed 2089 times
Croftian
Diamond

Post by Croftian »

Thanks Mike for all your input, having played with the plug-in on the sample project, I tried a few variations on my own project. The problem I found was my Places/Addresses are so irregular, that your plug-in didn't stand a chance ;)
I have decided to carry on working through Addresses and geocoding the Places as I sort out my records.
Thanks to all, this Forum always helps !!

cheers
Ian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If you can identify subsets that do follow a pattern then the plugin can operate on just one subset at a time by using the Input Filter tab options which allow Place records to be selected before running the plugin. See the Help & Advice.
Croftian
Diamond

Post by Croftian »

Hi Mike
I'm trying your last hint, but wonder if there is something I'm missing, I selected one address & place, but the results are for all the same places in the database. Is it that the subsets only apply to the 'Place' ?
See screenshots attached
Ian
Attachments
Plug in  result set.JPG
Plug in result set.JPG (172.03 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
Plug in Input filter.JPG
Plug in Input filter.JPG (49.97 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
Plug in.JPG
Plug in.JPG (93.26 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
Croftian
Diamond

Post by Croftian »

could only post three screenshots, here are the others :

Cheers
Ian
Attachments
Plug in Address results.JPG
Plug in Address results.JPG (105.46 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
Plug in Place results.JPG
Plug in Place results.JPG (63.38 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ian, it is not clear to me what you expected to happen with that specific selection.

You chose one Address and Place pair to apply the rearrangement.
So only the entries for that pairing will get their Parts rearranged.
However, there is a consequence for all other pairings with the chosen Place record.

Address: Atkinson St, Great Marsden will have the 1st Part blanked.
Place: Burnley, Lancashire, England will get the Address 1st Part inserted.

However, that rearrangement cannot simply be applied to the Place record because it would upset all the other pairings.
i.e. Address: St Peter would be paired with Place: Atkinson St, Burnley, Lancashire, England

So the Place record must be split up as follows:
{A0} Burnley, Lancashire, England holds the original Place record details but not linked to any facts.
{A1} Burnley, Lancashire, England is paired with all the original Address fields with the fact links (except Atkinson St).
{A2} Atkinson St, Burnley, Lancashire, England is paired with , Great Marsden and its fact links.
That is explained in the plugin Help & Advice FAQ.

I think to get the plugin Result Set you posted you must have used Edit > Undo Plugin Updates after running the plugin which will reverse all the changes shown in the Result Set.