* Ancestry's "Historical Newspapers, Birth, Marriage, & Death Announcements, 1851-2003"

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
fhtess65
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Ancestry's "Historical Newspapers, Birth, Marriage, & Death Announcements, 1851-2003"

Post by fhtess65 »

I'm glad she answered you - she's been busy at RootsTech since Thursday (and likely for some time before, getting ready).

It is frustrating to have records disappear like that - I've been bitten too and now spend a lot of my time snipping, citing, saving, and backing up any newspaper mentions I need. Time consuming, but knowing I can't trust that sites like Ancestry, FindMyPast, Newspapers.com etc won't lose the rights to a database, I do the work. Even indexed stuff I save with a snip of the indexing and try to write as complete a citation as I can based on the available information.

I just keep reminding myself we'd need a second house if I kept paper copies of all my research!!! :lol:
AdrianBruce wrote: 05 Mar 2023 17:37
fhtess65 wrote: 25 Feb 2023 16:53 I generally contact Ancestry via Facebook. Crista Cowan (Ancestry staff member) is a member of this group: Ancestry . Com - Helping, Sharing, Venting (Not an Official Ancestry Site) ...
Eventually my query caught Crista's eye (thanks for the suggestion) and her response was:
The individual newspaper titles in this database have all been reimaged and reindexed (using current technology instead of the old, clunky OCR technology that it was originally indexed with). They are available on Newspapers.com with the search functionality there that functions better with the type of searches needed to make discoveries in this type of record.
The existing database has been archived in such a way that those who had saved records from it can still click through to access them from their tree with their subscription. But, no new searches can be performed.
I thanked her and commented that, if the collection had been withdrawn, it had previously made no sense to me why it still hung around. But her explanation "archived in such a way that those who had saved records from it can still click through to access them from their tree with their subscription" makes eminent sense. <SNIP>
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz