* Census registration districts reference books

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
DM1956
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Census registration districts reference books

Post by DM1956 »

Does anyone know where I can find the complete list of registration districts and sub districts for any particular census.

The two examples I've attached show a sample page for 1861 and 1871. Originally a full listing of every district for a particular census year was in a bound volume in the old Chancery Lane search rooms - but that was in the old microfilm days.

The simplicity of cross referencing hamlets, sub districts and piece numbers was often invaluable, especially when wishing to browse an area rather do a surname search.

I've tried National Archives, Ancestry, and a google search so far without success.
Attachments
1861 Registration District listing
1861 Registration District listing
RG9 1861.jpg (312.93 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
1871 Registration District listing
1871 Registration District listing
RG10 1871.jpg (342.09 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
arthurk
Superstar

Re: Census registration districts reference books

Post by arthurk »

Since starting to use online census records I've never seen anything quite like the old index/overview pages that you've given - but thanks for the nostalgia hit ;)

The same information is in the TNA Discovery catalogue (I found it by browsing), but arranged differently. For example, the equivalent of the 1871 page that you gave can be found here, and it actually includes districts 462-481, not just 462-3:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... /h/C118203

The right-hand column has similar details to what you gave, or if you prefer, you can see them on a separate page:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... h/C3142956
DM1956
Silver

Re: Census registration districts reference books

Post by DM1956 »

Thanks Arthurk for this info. The TNA online catalogue certainly seems to have been created from the same source information, although I feel that the online presentation is not so easy on the eye. I'm sure that somewhere the whole reference book for each census exists digitally. I'll keep looking for now.