* Notes on importing from Relatively Yours 3

Post here to suggest corrections, additions, changes etc to the FHUG KnowledgeBase . Include as much information as possible to help editors act on your post.

Moderator: kb admin

Woodg
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Notes on importing from Relatively Yours 3

Post by Woodg »

Hi All,

As many of you know, I am moving from Relatively Yours 3 (RY3) to Family Historian 7 (FH7). With considerable assistance from the User Group members and the Knowledge Base, I have (mostly) completed this. During my work I have created copious notes (and created a Query) detailing the issues I found and how I corrected them. Both the Notes and Query are attached.

I would like to request that, if you have time, please look at my notes and tell me if I have made any errors in my fixes. I understand not may will have knowledge of RY3, but with your FH7 knowledge you may be able to tell me if I've misunderstood anything. Or maybe you know of a better way to fix issues I've come across.

Hopefully these notes can become the bases of a Knowledge Base article.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide,

Glenn
Attachments
Relationship.fhq
(776 Bytes) Downloaded 76 times
Conversion from Relatively Yours 3 to Family Historian 7.docx
(411.83 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Woodg
Famous

Re: Notes on importing from Relatively Yours 3

Post by Woodg »

Hi All,

Wow. Over 1100 views and 24 downloads and no responses. I mean, you've all got nothing else to do :)

It's understandable, really, as this topic is only of interest if you are moving from RY3 (and the document is rather lengthy!)

In case it is of use, I have attached a GEDCOM of the RY3 Sample data. This may help understand my notes.

Thanks,

Glenn
Attachments
RY3 Sample for PAF.ged
(216.74 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Glenn, I have copied this thread to the Maintaining the KnowledgeBase forum that seems more appropriate.

General comments on the Notes:
I would expect your notes to become a new 'Accordion' called 'Import from Relatively Yours 3' within the existing KB article Importing to Family Historian.
(The references to RY3 in Accordion 'Import from Personal Ancestral File (PAF) / Relatively Yours' can be removed.)
I suspect that will need some rewording to the first few sections of your notes, especially the 'Import into FH7' section, which should borrow from the FH import guidance style of existing Accordions.

See How to Add Content to the Knowledge Base that has Style Guidance which advises to use bold sparingly, use italics instead, and defines codes for linking to such things as Plugins and Downloads or other KB articles.

Comments on specific sections:

'Event Witnesses/Participants'
FH7 Equivalent table column:
2 Observer Witness Individual
3 Outsider Witness Name Only

'User Fields (Religion, Titles, Nicknames, etc)' and elsewhere
These sections suggest that only manual correction is possible, but maybe custom plugins could automate the process, although that is a steep learning curve.

'De facto relationships'
Highlight that the new custom fact must set Record Type: Family and not the default of Individual.
Custom plugins cannot be added to the KB. They must either be published in the Plugin Store or attached to a Forum thread with a link to that thread from the KB.

'Contact Details' and elsewhere
These sometimes say data is created in or imported into FH7 in a specific format, whereas it would be more correct to say RY3 exports it in that GEDCOM format and FH7 simply honours that format.

'Sensitivity and Suppression checkboxes'
The table shows two items exported by RY3 in GEDCOM but not imported by FH7.
I wonder why? What is the RY3 GEDCOM format? Is their exclusion in the FH7 Exceptions Log?

'Deceased checkbox'
There is not as much detail here about using the Search and Replace plugin as using other plugins.
You give much more complete advice later under 'Addresses' so perhaps do the same here.
i.e. Only tick the Date fields checkbox and untick the others (otherwise DECEASED may get changed other than in Dates). Could set Search Scope to just Death facts. Should you explain what to put in the Search box and Replace box and how to use the Search & Replace dialogue.

'Died without Issue checkbox'
In FH7 you can add a standard Child Count 0 attribute, which is indicated on Diagrams with a black bar under the person's box.
There is also on the Family Property Box All tab a right-click option to add Miscellaneous > Count of Children 0 that has the same effect in Diagrams for both partners.

'Repositories'
I suspect the email address UDF can be correct in the Change Any Fact Tag plugin on its Other Records tab with Record Type: Repository.

'Generic vs Templated'
Typo: "You may decide to leave the converted imported sources as generic..."

'Names'
"In FH7 you can create multiple different names for a person, but you cannot give them a Name Type."
Some later table entries say the same.
That is not strictly correct. The All tab allows a Name field to have a Type added, but FH7 does not do much with it by default, so customisations are needed to show the Type in the Property Box and in Diagrams and Reports.

In the table Married Name row the righthamd box says "You can only search by the married name even if you add this extra name record."
Is the word "even" a typo?
Anyway, it is incorrect. The Records Window Individuals tab (and Queries) can Filter on Husband's Surnames as you say later.

Typo in paragraph under the table: "Find text search will find him her if you enter..."

'Source Names/Titles'
... or use the Search and Replace plugin focused in Extra Filters tab on Record Titles: Source Title which allows bulk conversion of all similar Titles.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Re the KB Style guide, Mike has one thing wrong. Italics should NOT be used for emphasis. However, concentrate on getting the content right and one of the experienced editors will help with the formatting if necessary.
Woodg
Famous

Post by Woodg »

Thanks, Helen. Yes, right now I'm more concerned with the accuracy of my notes. Formatting can come later, although I'll take a look at the KB Style Guide and update my notes based on it.

Thanks,

Glenn
Woodg
Famous

Post by Woodg »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't looked at making my notes totally suitable for the Knowledgebase yet. I was initially looking for the exact feedback you have provided. I'll makes some updates over the next few days.

Yes, I suspected that some issues could be resolved by plugins, but they are beyond me at the moment. I learnt COBOL at Uni, and even that I haven't used for 20 years.

Thanks,

Glenn
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I should have said that most of those Notes are very clear. :D
I wasn't suggesting that you should write plugins, just that they may offer an alternative to manual conversion rather than just saying manual conversion is the only option.
Woodg
Famous

Post by Woodg »

tatewise wrote: 10 Dec 2022 15:00 I wasn't suggesting that you should write plugins, just that they may offer an alternative to manual conversion rather than just saying manual conversion is the only option.
A previous version of my document mentioned, in several places, that a "plugin could be written" to resolve the issue. I removed these comments as I didn't want someone to think that the specific plugin existed, or that "someone else" would just write one. Do you have suggestion as to how I could word this? I could write "Mike Tate will write this plugin for you." but that's somewhat presumptuous. :lol:

Thanks,

Glenn

P.S. A lot of the plugins have been written by you or Jane (along with others). What with writing plugins and providing help to other users, when do you get time to do any actual family history research?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Perhaps you could add something to 'Conventions' along the lines of:
manual (or custom plugin) task means the task must be done by hand or you must write a custom plugin to automate the task, which is advantageous if several RY3 imports become necessary, but requires learning the plugin LUA programming language.

Then say "manual (or custom plugin) task" wherever appropriate.

P.S. Yes, family history research tends to take a backseat these days.
Woodg
Famous

Post by Woodg »

Hi All,

I haven't forgotten about working on this task, but with Christmas, visitors, work and my elderly mother having a fall, it has not been a high priority. Mum is improving and the visitors have gone so I'll get back to it in a couple of weeks.

Glenn