* Transferring Source Records

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
Alison
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Transferring Source Records

Post by Alison »

Hi
After using Ancestry for 2+ years happily clicking away without giving much thought to storing the information on a long term basis, I have now got a copy of Family Historian v.7.

I have uploaded my Gedcom file from Ancestry to FH7. The citations have copied across but is there any way I can get the sources copied across wholesale or do I need to copy them across individually? Sorry if this is basic.

Best wishes
Alison
fhtess65
Megastar

Re: Transferring Source Records

Post by fhtess65 »

Hi Alison,

So I assume you mean the source images? If so, then, gedcom files don't include images, only text.

Your best bet is to use RootsMagic 8 and its TreeShare function to bring down your tree from Ancestry as it will bring in all the source images that are attached to facts (NOT the ones in your gallery). You can then import that RootsMagic file directly into Family Historian 7, along with the images.

There are, however, a couple of things you need to know:

a) You can do the TreeShare with the free version of RootsMagic, called RootsMagic Essentials, as an all-in-one download, however, you still need to have an active subscription to Ancestry to access those images.

b) The Ancestry source images will end up in one folder on your hard drive with filenames that mean nothing. That said, they should be attached directly to the citation in the relevant fact. There is a way in FH to rename media images in the program - see this video here: https://youtu.be/eYJy8c6QM8M

I imported my main tree from RootsMagic into FH earlier this year and am in the process of slowly cleaning things up - re-doing citations to meet a much higher standard.

If you have a smaller tree at Ancestry to test this with, it might not be a bad idea.

Others may have suggestions for you as well. I hope this helps.

Teresa
Alison wrote: 08 Nov 2022 19:27 Hi
After using Ancestry for 2+ years happily clicking away without giving much thought to storing the information on a long term basis, I have now got a copy of Family Historian v.7.

I have uploaded my Gedcom file from Ancestry to FH7. The citations have copied across but is there any way I can get the sources copied across wholesale or do I need to copy them across individually? Sorry if this is basic.

Best wishes
Alison
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
Alison
Silver

Post by Alison »

Hi Teresa

Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I will certainly give that a go. Thanks for your help.

Best wishes
Alison
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I've moved this topic to the Importing and Exporting forum, but left a copy in General Usage for the time being.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Alison
Silver

Post by Alison »

Hi Teresa

Thanks again for that information. I have been banging my head over this for several weeks and yet the reply from you has helped fix my problem in an evening! I did the Ancestry to RootsMagic and then RootsMagic to Family Historian and I have managed to get all the media and the source images too. As you say I will need to spend some time sorting them out, but I now know I have all of them in one place. I won't be so 'click happy' again in the future and will take time to attach and save sources.

Thanks again,
Alison :)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Alison.

A useful source of advice is the FHUG Knowledge Base where there is the article on Importing to Family Historian which provides the solution described by Teresa in the 'Import from Ancestry website' section. There is also much advice about Source Citations.
Alison
Silver

Post by Alison »

Thanks Mike, will check that out.
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Hi Alison,

I'm relieved it all worked out and am happy to have been of help. Generally, I'm the one receiving it, so it's nice to return the favour for once :)

Teresa
Alison wrote: 08 Nov 2022 23:38 Hi Teresa

Thanks again for that information. I have been banging my head over this for several weeks and yet the reply from you has helped fix my problem in an evening! I did the Ancestry to RootsMagic and then RootsMagic to Family Historian and I have managed to get all the media and the source images too. As you say I will need to spend some time sorting them out, but I now know I have all of them in one place. I won't be so 'click happy' again in the future and will take time to attach and save sources.

Thanks again,
Alison :)
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
Alison
Silver

Post by Alison »

By the way what is the best way to transfer FMP source images please.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Unfortunately, it is not possible to bulk transfer any images from FindMyPast into FH.
They will have to be transferred manually one by one. Sorry!
The other general advice in Importing to Family Historian applies.
Alison
Silver

Post by Alison »

Thanks Mike for letting me know. I did check the FHUG Knowledge Base but thought I was missing something regarding FMP.

Best wishes
Alison