* Testing Ancestral Sources v7.5.7

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Testing Ancestral Sources v7.5.5

Post by NickWalker »

I've now released another update. I had some 1921 census records passed to me and I realised it would be useful if AS was able to suggest ages in years and months for those individuals who have their month of birth recorded already. So I've now added this as an option to census templates and updated the 1921 templates accordingly.

Changes in v7.5.5 (Beta Test)
  • Added a new option for age columns in census templates to expect year and month of age to be specified. This option has been set for the 1921 England, Wales and Isle of Man census templates.
  • Census sources converted to templated sources will now use the 'Templated Source Title Generation' setting to trigger Family Historian to generate the source title if this option is set.
It turned out there was a show-stopper error with this one so I've immediately replaced it with v7.5.6 - see below
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

NickWalker wrote: 23 Oct 2022 18:21 I've now released another update. I had some 1921 census records passed to me and I realised it would be useful if AS was able to suggest ages in years and months for those individuals who have their month of birth recorded already. So I've now added this as an option to census templates and updated the 1921 templates accordingly.
Nick,
I just installed 7.5.5 and got this when it started
Ancestral 755 error.jpg
Ancestral 755 error.jpg (18.28 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
If I click OK, AS still opens

[EDIT] - I installed it again and the error didn't return.
Neil Grantham
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow and Birchall
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

neil40 wrote: 23 Oct 2022 21:29 I just installed 7.5.5 and got this when it started
Ancestral 755 error.jpg
If I click OK, AS still opens
[EDIT] - I installed it again and the error didn't return.
Thanks Neil - silly error in the settings file which I think you would have seen again. Solved by 7.5.6 I hope!

The 64 bit version is available to test here: Ancestral Sources v7.5.6 64 Bit
The 32 bit version is available to test here: Ancestral Sources v7.5.6 32 Bit

Nick
Nick Walker

neil40
Superstar

Re: Testing Ancestral Sources v7.5.6

Post by neil40 »

Thanks Nick.
No error with 7.5.6
Neil Grantham
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

I have a lrge batch of sources which are already rich text either created with very early versions of AS 7 or converted using a plugin that was available.. These sources do not have the names hyperlinked.

It would be extremely useful if the conversion utility could pick these sources up and link the names.

The conversion utility works like a dream on older sources and I am making speedy progress on updating my older sources.

Thanks for all your hard work Nick..
AndrewEllis
Platinum

Post by AndrewEllis »

Hi Nick

Thank you again for all your hard work

Just installed and trying version 7.5.6 to update censuses to rich text notes and have noticed the following - my first census that needed updating was in Scotland, so the note header was Census Scotland 1841, however the next was in England, and the rtf note header was again Census Scotland 1841. I tried to change the Census to Census: England 1841 in the box under the Census: option but the Census header remained as Census Scotland 1841.

Is there anyway to update the header or refresh it please?

Many thanks

Andrew
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I can't test this currently but if you do something that requires the source text to update does it correct itself (e.g. Click the fit button)
Nick Walker

AndrewEllis
Platinum

Post by AndrewEllis »

Yes Clicking on the Fit button solved the issue

Thanks Nick

Andrew
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: Testing Ancestral Sources v7.5.7

Post by NickWalker »

I've released another test version of Ancestral Sources. I'm really hoping I can release this 'officially' very soon. I spent quite a lot of time this week adding records with AS and therefore the changes below are all usability improvements that I came up with during that time.

Changes in v7.5.7 (Beta Test)
  • Improved the way the 'keep focus' works so it can focus on an individual who isn't added to an entry.
  • The image viewer will now hide the side panel if viewing an image that has already been added to this entry.
  • If the image thumbnails or 'Add/View Images' are clicked on the main form when the image viewer is minimized, it will now be opened.
  • Minimizing the image viewer now turns off 'Always on Top' to avoid some potential issues.
  • Corrected a problem that can lead to the reload message box not being visible if the image viewer is set to 'always on top'.
  • If the reload message box appears when maximising a minimised main screen, the main screen will now open rather than staying minimised.
  • Added a new 'Fit to image width' button to the Image Viewer and changed the increments for the zoom drop-down list.
The 64 bit version is available to test here: Ancestral Sources v7.5.7 64 Bit
The 32 bit version is available to test here: Ancestral Sources v7.5.7 32 Bit
Nick Walker

Woodg
Famous

Post by Woodg »

Hi Nick,

I had 7.5.4 installed. Tried to do an update to 7.5.7 by using Check for Updates and received an error message. I didn't record any details of the error as I just downloaded 7.5.7 and installed it, thinking it may have been an issue with beta versions. Version 7.5.7 installed just fine, but I decided to see what happens if I try to Check for Updates on this version and I received this error: "Error checking for update: An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 4, position 56." This is similar to the error I got on the attempt to upgrade from 7.5.4 (similar, but I can't be sure it is exactly the same - sorry). AS seems to be working OK.

I'm on Windows 11, OS build 22000.1165.

Glenn
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

Nick will confirm, but as these are 'beta test' versions, AS won't find any updates either automatically or manually.
Mine doesn't give that error, but just states that I am up to date.

[Edit] Suffice to say I haven't used AS over the weekend, so I haven't seen if AS detects the update or if the manual check works, as I see in the 'News and Announcements' forum, Nick has announced the release of 7.5 on 30/10/22
Neil Grantham
Woodg
Famous

Post by Woodg »

Hi Neil,

Yes, I thought the original error may have been because of the 'beta' status, hence my not reporting it, but it also happens with the released version too.

Glenn
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Thanks Glenn for letting me know. This issue should be resolved now!

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who helped to test this version of AS which has now been released. I am very grateful for the help and support that so many of you have given to me.

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker

fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Twice while working with this version, the image viewer screen has frozen :( Of course, as I'm bad and generally have at least 6 apps open on my laptop at the same time, it may just be a RAM thing.

I can still scroll up and down in the image, but if I try clicking on any of the buttons, to zoom in or zoom out etc, I get nothing... Can't close it either - it just closes when I close AS.

Teresa
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Do you have 'always on top' ticked when this happens and are you definitely running v7.5.7? I'm hoping you're going to say you're not running 7.5.7 because it sounds to me like AS might be displaying the 'need to reload following file change' message but that it is hidden behind the image viewer and the image viewer isn't responding because it's waiting for you to click the OK button on the message that you can't see. I included a fix for this in 7.5.7.
Nick Walker

fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

I had thought I was testing the most recent version, but it turns out I was back on 7.5.6...and no, I never have "always on top" ticked.

Will work with it again this week now I have 7.5.7 installed and let you know if this oddity recurs. I'd never had the issue before, so fingers crossed.

Teresa
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
klm2OUMK
Diamond

Post by klm2OUMK »

Thank you, Nick for all your hard work on new Conversion Update v7.5.7 (64 bit) I loaded yesterday onto my computer
and also thank you for the excellent / helpful online tutorials.

I have just successfully worked through one set of my main Family Names with no problems. There were a high portion that needed the Non Perfect tools which worked well, thank you and then saved.

One Question - I ticked both choices 'Templated Sources' and 'Rich Text' at the start but when I went back into Family Historian 7 my PROPERTY box is still showing only record details 'that have not changed and were still showing is original format'. Do I need something else to show the new Rich Text Templated versions in my Property Box or have I done something wrong?
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

klm2OUMK wrote: 01 Nov 2022 11:33 Thank you, Nick for all your hard work on new Conversion Update v7.5.7 (64 bit) I loaded yesterday onto my computer
and also thank you for the excellent / helpful online tutorials.

I have just successfully worked through one set of my main Family Names with no problems. There were a high portion that needed the Non Perfect tools which worked well, thank you and then saved.

One Question - I ticked both choices 'Templated Sources' and 'Rich Text' at the start but when I went back into Family Historian 7 my PROPERTY box is still showing only record details 'that have not changed and were still showing is original format'. Do I need something else to show the new Rich Text Templated versions in my Property Box or have I done something wrong?
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the videos.

I'm not sure where you're looking when you refer to your property box as the property box is used to view all sorts of information - individuals, families, sources, media, etc. Do you mean you are looking at the Source and then the 'text from source' and it is still showing as just plain text without the tables, colours etc? A screenshot of this might help either in a reply to this post or you could email me via nick at ancestralsources dot com. If you are saving and then finding it hasn't changed in Family Historian then this suggests to me that you're either not looking in the correct place to see the change or you're not looking at the same project in FH as you edited in AS. If you watch the Using Templated Sources video from about 10mins in it shows where the source text should appear.
Nick Walker

klm2OUMK
Diamond

Post by klm2OUMK »

Once again thank you for your video link which was very helpful in finding my new converted rich text versions using 'Source from Text'.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Great - thanks for letting me know :)
Nick Walker

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

As the testing period is over now and I think the issues that have been raised appear to have been resolved, I'm going to lock this topic now. Please create new posts/threads in the Ancestral Sources forum as usual if there are any issues, questions, suggestions, etc.
Nick Walker