* Working with Tables and Columns

A place for completed suggestions/corrections.

Moderator: kb admin

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Working with Tables and Columns

Post by tatewise »

In How to Add Content to the Knowledge Base there is a section on Working with Tables and Columns with a video showing how to activate and use the Genesis Columns Advanced plugin. However, I cannot see any way to achieve that in the Knowledge Base Editor. There is no Plugins or Installed Plugins menu option in the lefthand panel.

That section also says: "The Table tool is self-explanatory, but please remember to size table columns in % to make them responsive." This needs to advise that the Text tab must be used to see the <td style="width: 33.3333%;"> code.
It is very tedious to change a column % on each row as there is no Find & Replace feature that I could find in WordPress.
However, I discovered that setting the % of each column for the first row and deleting all the other % settings works OK.
Is that the best way to set the column % widths? If so, the Working with Tables and Columns needs to say so.

It seems the Plugin Store WordPress editor has similar issues.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Working with Tables and Columns

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

1. The Columns plugin is already installed (as you might expect). Ignore the brief installation content of the video and focus on the usage instructions.
2. Poking around on the text tab is unnecessary. Click on the table button and set the cell properties.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

1. Sorry Helen, I must be going blind, but in the KB editor I cannot see an Insert Columns icon as shown in the video:
    InsertColumns.png
    InsertColumns.png (46.23 KiB) Viewed 2012 times
  2. IMO, using the Table > Cell > Table cell properties option is not an intuitive way of sizing columns.
    In fact, it does not size columns unless the user has selected an entire column of cells.
Would you like me to update the Working with Tables and Columns section to make the above options clearer?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Screenshot of your icons please Mike. Should look like this:
Screenshot 2022-10-29 111133.jpg
Screenshot 2022-10-29 111133.jpg (17.64 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

These are my toolbar icons:
Edit KB Toolbar.png
Edit KB Toolbar.png (13.84 KiB) Viewed 2002 times
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Mike

The last update to this plugin removed the ability for editors to have access to the icon. I have done a code change and that icon is now available to you and the other editors.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you Colin, that has revealed the Insert Columns icon and its features work OK.

However, in Helen's screenshot, there is another icon between the <> Code (Shift+Alt+X) icon and the Insert Columns icon.
It looks like <> so does that indicate another missing feature that Editors should have?

Having got all that sorted out does the KB need an update to the Working with Tables and Columns section to make the Table and Column options clearer?
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

tatewise wrote: 29 Oct 2022 11:46 However, in Helen's screenshot, there is another icon between the <> Code (Shift+Alt+X) icon and the Insert Columns icon.
It looks like <> so does that indicate another missing feature that Editors should have?
No Mike this is not one for Editors I am the only one who uses this as it allows the running of PHP code on a page.

I will leave Helen to answer your second question.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

The documentation re Tables has been updated. I'm not going to duplicate what's in the video for columns.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thanks, that is clearer.
I wasn't expecting to duplicate what's in the video for columns, but is it worth mentioning that the first part of the video can be skipped because the Insert Columns plugin and its icon are already activated?

At least change the first line to say: "The Insert Columns tool is powerful..." and embed the icon in the text.

And perhaps change the last line to say:
"If you intend to use the Insert Columns tool, you should watch this brief demo to get the best out of it. (Skip the first 40 seconds about activating the plugin as it is already activated in the KB editor.)"
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Embedding the icon in the text seems superfluous, as it identifies itself if you hover over it, and looks remarkably like the columns icon in other products, e.g. Word.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Maybe I'm being picky, but the icon identifies itself as Insert Columns whereas the Working with Tables and Columns section only says "Columns" in two places. So would "Insert Columns" be better?

In the Knowledge Base Shortcodes and Other Customisation section it says that "it’s clearer to show an icon than it is to simply name it." so why not follow the guide's own advice?

I also think mentioning the plugin is already activated avoids users expecting to activate it and overlooking that the icon is already present.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

tatewise wrote: 29 Oct 2022 13:21 So why not follow the guide's own advice?
Because I haven't got time to redo the whole page with icons for everything mentioned (for consistency) when the audience for the page is so small. And only an Admin can edit it (because it's a content type we've used for all sorts of architectural/infrastructure purposes, so we don't want no-Admins messing with them).

If you have some spare time, perhaps you could review the very useful review you were doing for V7 compatibility?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have every intention of getting back to reviewing V7 compatibility but what with Plugin updates and home commitments I don't have much spare time just now.