* recent update

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Croftian
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

recent update

Post by Croftian »

I’ve just tried to update FH to latest version 7.0.15, I cancelled install which had hung up, On trying to open FH I now get a no of alerts (see attachment)

It says to try reinstalling program, yet I can’t find it, when I try the exe from file (dated 23/2/2022) I get the same result. And I can’t find todays download, although Program Files (x86)/Family Historian/ contains three folders (Program,Samples,Text Schemes) dated to 29/8/2022 12.38
I haven’t a recent separate save, (slapped wrist !) so am worried my most recent work will be lost.
I've raised a ticket with Calico Pie
Attachments
Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (18.29 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (17.6 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
Capture 1.JPG
Capture 1.JPG (17.88 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
RS3100
Superstar

Re: recent update

Post by RS3100 »

You can download v7.0.15 here:

https://www.family-historian.co.uk/install7
Croftian
Diamond

Post by Croftian »

Many thanks, for some reason I couldn't find the link you sent, it worked a treat, updated, no loss of work, and a full backup saved !!!
thanks again

Ian :D :D :D
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ian, did you use the FH Help > Check for Updates > Upgrade Now option?
IMO that has proved to be a problematic method.
It is much more reliable if you use the https://www.family-historian.co.uk/install7 link.
The way I find that URL is via the CP Downloads > Download Archive https://www.family-historian.co.uk/dow ... ad-archive
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

And make sure that you keep the install files, as CP do not provide a method for downgrading if a critical feature (for you) has problems in the new release...
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think that highlights a snag with the Help > Check for Updates > Upgrade Now option, because it is not obvious where the downloaded installation file exists. I tried to find it in Downloads and Temp folders without success.
Croftian
Diamond

Post by Croftian »

Mark1834 wrote: 29 Aug 2022 17:29 And make sure that you keep the install files, as CP do not provide a method for downgrading if a critical feature (for you) has problems in the new release...

Mark
Yes I found it in my downloads, should I save it into FH Project file or another folder ?
tatewise wrote: 29 Aug 2022 16:33 Ian, did you use the FH Help > Check for Updates > Upgrade Now option?
It is much more reliable if you use the https://www.family-historian.co.uk/install7 link.
The way I find that URL is via the CP Downloads > Download Archive https://www.family-historian.co.uk/dow ... ad-archive
Mike
Yes (FH Help > Check for Updates > Upgrade Now option?) and then couldn't find the exe anywhere,
Croftian
Diamond

Post by Croftian »

tatewise wrote: 29 Aug 2022 16:33 Ian, did you use the FH Help > Check for Updates > Upgrade Now option?
Yes (FH Help > Check for Updates > Upgrade Now option?) and then couldn't find the exe anywhere,
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

Croftian wrote: 31 Aug 2022 12:32Yes (FH Help > Check for Updates > Upgrade Now option?) and then couldn't find the exe anywhere,
You shouldn't have to look for an exe file, you should get this window, if there was an update, you click 'Upgrade Now' and it then downloads, then starts the update automatically, after confirming to close a) the project, then b) the program:
Screenshot 2022-08-31 170626.jpg
Screenshot 2022-08-31 170626.jpg (12.79 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
Neil Grantham
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow and Birchall
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

That's correct Neil, but nobody can find the exe that gets downloaded / installed as Mike has said. I, and others, like to have a local copy of the install file to fall back on if there are any problems with a subsequent release.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

How about hosting the previous stable version (currently FH 7.0.11) on FHUG downloads as a service to users who wish to revert in the event of problems.

Probably requires a courtesy check with CP that we’re not treading on their toes, but I wouldn’t anticipate any objections.
Mark Draper
davepacey
Famous

Post by davepacey »

jbtapscott wrote: 31 Aug 2022 16:37 That's correct Neil, but nobody can find the exe that gets downloaded / installed as Mike has said. I, and others, like to have a local copy of the install file to fall back on if there are any problems with a subsequent release.
In my case, when I click update, FH creates a folder called downloads in my Documents folder and that is where I found the exe file.

Regards,

Dave
Dave Pacey - Lincolnshire UK
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ah! Yes! So it does, but a pity FH does not say that is where it downloaded the file :roll:
davepacey
Famous

Post by davepacey »

tatewise wrote: 04 Sep 2022 11:26 Ah! Yes! So it does, but a pity FH does not say that is where it downloaded the file :roll:
Yes, I agree, It would be even better still if the user was prompted for a directory to save it to :-)
Dave Pacey - Lincolnshire UK
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

I agree, it is a shame, but then most software developers fall into the same trap, if you upgrade via their own update mechanism. They tend to store the download into a temporary directory, which is often deleted after the upgrade has finished.

What I tend to do, is go to their website and download the latest version from there, that way, I know where it is being saved to, so I can keep it for future emergencies or if I need to revert.
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

While the internal update from FH worked for me, I don't find that folder in my Downloads folder. Just to be safe, I will follow your advice and download the update directly from the website to store against future disasters...

Teresa
Gowermick wrote: 04 Sep 2022 15:28 What I tend to do, is go to their website and download the latest version from there, that way, I know where it is being saved to, so I can keep it for future emergencies or if I need to revert.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

fhtess65 wrote: 04 Sep 2022 16:10 I don't find that folder in my Downloads folder.
I found that a new folder "Downloads" had been created in my Documents folder rather than in the Downloads folder which Windows auto created (and which is not in the Documents folder!)
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
lastejas
Diamond

Post by lastejas »

That Folder (Downloads) in the Document Folder was created by FH. It is only created once and then all subsequent updates are downloaded to that folder. My Folder conatins all updates from v7.0.8.2. as that was when I moved to this new computer.

The old computer has them going back long before that in a similar folder.
Rick ~ Researching the Hooley's of Cheshire
http://www.oceanwharf.com
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

There seems to be no standardisation. I have exes downloaded by various programmes 'checking for updates' in:

C:\Users\username\Documents
C:\Users\username\Downloads
D:\OneDrive\Documents\Downloads

and even D:\OneDrive\Downloads (which is my default Download location).
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

We are not bothered about standardisation. We just want FH to tell us where it puts the installation file, so that if needed it can be reinstalled later to return to an earlier version.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I was just pointing out that FH is no better nor worse than other programmes -- none of them tell you where they've put their executable.
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

tatewise wrote: 04 Sep 2022 17:35 We are not bothered about standardisation. We just want FH to tell us where it puts the installation file, so that if needed it can be reinstalled later to return to an earlier version.
I would say that FH should be following a Microsoft standard for downloads. In Windows 7 onwards that became C:\Users\<username>\Downloads
FH is putting these downloads in C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Downloads - in my case the only files in that folder are the FH v7 updates. All my other downloads go to C:\Users\Neil\Downloads
However, at least we now know where they are for safekeeping.
This screenshot shows my FH7 updates in C:\Users\Neil\Documents\Downloads and highlighted in the the left column the shortcuts to the standard User folders
FH Downloads.jpg
FH Downloads.jpg (22 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
Neil Grantham
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow and Birchall
kfunk_ia
Diamond

Post by kfunk_ia »

I have never, until now, bothered to pay attention what or where a program downloads during an update. I have been using computers since before Windows and my assumption had always been that the installer downloaded to the temp files and got cleaned up after the install. SO the fact that FH created a folded in Documents and downloaded there, it never crossed my mind to pay attention. I see it as a bonus.