* Ancestral Sources v7.4 available to test

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Ancestral Sources v7.4 available to test

Post by NickWalker »

[Post updated to link to v7.4.4 released to fix an issue with v7.4 as reported below]

I've produced a new update to Ancestral Sources that I'm calling v7.4 because it has a couple of new features that I felt made it more than just a minor update. I won't announce it properly (via FHUG news, knowledge base, etc.) until I'm reasonably happy that there are no big issues with it. So if you download it and have any problems please let me know so I can fix them ASAP.

What's new in Ancestral Sources v7.4:
  • There are now options to specify whether census columns with no data entered are included in the source text produced by Autotext. This can be set on a field-by-field basis in census templates or via a global option.
  • There is now a new toolbar button and corresponding menu item to add an empty row to the census grid. This is to make it easier to enter details of people who don't appear to be related to the family and don't need to be added as individual records, e.g. lodgers. Those individuals can simply be entered directly into the grid to appear in the source text generated by Auto-text, but will not included as individual records in the family history file.
  • The CustomID auto-text tag wasn't working for census sources. This was reported by Peter Rollin and is now fixed.
  • An issue crept into the 7.3.5 release which stopped multiple images being added without closing and re-opening the image window. This is fixed.
  • Also fixed a recent issue that had appeared where the Keyword and Function buttons were not visible on the Auto Text Template Screen.
  • Also fixed a display issue with the source/image template control on the options screen.
  • Tool tips that appear when the mouse pointer hovers above various options will now remain on screen for longer to make them easier to read. This was requested by ChrisV on the FHUG forums.
  • Made various improvements to the way that Ancestral Sources displays information on computers running at scaling other than 100%.
Changes in minor update 7.4.3:
  • Kai Chandler pointed out that although the option to add a blank census row was working from the tool bar button, the corresponding menu item wasn't. This is now fixed.
  • Made a change to the installer that should allow AS to be installed on Windows running on Arm processors.
  • If you've manually edited the census source text generated by auto-text then you will no longer be warned that the 'Fit' button hasn't been clicked (if you have this option selected). Thanks to David2416 on the FHUG forum for pointing out this unnecessary warning.
  • Fixed an issue reported by David2416 on the FHUG forums where the dialog reporting a change to the source title could be asked multiple times.
  • AS would crash if source text containing an individual list was copied into the source note and the link clicked on. I fixed this.
  • An FHUG user Kenfig (Mike) reported an issue with colours changing if the last column was deleted. I think this has now been fixed.
  • I am hopeful that this update will fix an issue reported by Andrew Braid, Richard Hyland and others where the thumbnail version of a linked image displays very faintly so that it can be very difficult or impossible to see. Thanks in particular to Richard and Andrew for helping me to track down the cause of this problem.
Changes in minor update 7.4.4:
  • I totally rewrote the part of AS that deals with rich-text hyper-linked individuals as I realised the way I was dealing with them had limitations. This was prompted by some issues raised by David2416 where AS could create some incorrect GEDCOM related to source notes, caused by some changes I made in v7.4.3.
The 64 bit version is available to test here: Ancestral Sources v7.4.4 64 Bit
The 32 bit version is available to test here: Ancestral Sources v7.4.4 32 Bit

If in doubt, try the 64 bit version.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
jbtapscott
Megastar

Re: Ancestral Sources v7.4 available to test

Post by jbtapscott »

Nick - not sure if you want "issues" added here or as a new topic, so adding here for now!.

Windows 11, 64 Bit AS v7.4

Using the new Add New Empty Row option. I got the row as expected in the Auto Text, but when I came to save the record, I got the following screen. Not sure if this by design, or an error. I chose the Don't create a birth event option and nothing was created in FH for this person (viz. no Individual record, etc). All other Individuals on the Census were updated as normal.
Screenshot 2022-05-16 120213.jpg
Screenshot 2022-05-16 120213.jpg (35.77 KiB) Viewed 4042 times
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Thanks Brent- that's a bug and I'll fix it for the next version - I'm annoyed with myself for not considering that would happen! :(

And yes - if anyone spots issues with the new version then please just add to this discussion for now.
Nick Walker

lastejas
Diamond

Post by lastejas »

Hi Nick - I assume that this is a problem raised in this latest version as I didnt have it in the prvious version.

When you select the "Link existing image already in the file" the file list becomes truncated and its virtually impossible to find the correct file. See image below. Even on full screen it is still truncated.

Cheers

Rick
Attachments
AS v7.4.png
AS v7.4.png (82.47 KiB) Viewed 3895 times
Rick ~ Researching the Hooley's of Cheshire
http://www.oceanwharf.com
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Thanks Rick. Yes this was reported to me via email earlier in the week. I will release an update soon to fix both reported issues.
Nick Walker

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I've now updated the first post in this thread to link to the latest test version v7.4.1 which includes a fix for the following two problems that were reported with v7.4.0:
  • The ‘birth events from census’ dialog was showing for ‘name only’ individuals added to the census grid and shouldn’t have been. Brent Tapscott reported this.
  • Richard Hyland and Rick ('lastejas' on this forum) let me know about a problem with the way the ‘existing images’ list was shown on the Image display screen. This is now fixed.
As before, please add to this thread if you spot any other problems. I'll release this version properly if there are no other reported issues for a few days.

Many thanks for helping me to test this update!

Nick
Nick Walker

BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Nick,

I entered some censuses and added a couple of new empty lines for folks that were not related. This all seems to have worked just fine. I can also confirm that the addition of a second image now works as expected... no need to close and reopen the image window.

Thanks,
Bill
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

BillH wrote: 20 May 2022 21:17 I entered some censuses and added a couple of new empty lines for folks that were not related. This all seems to have worked just fine. I can also confirm that the addition of a second image now works as expected... no need to close and reopen the image window.
Thanks for the feedback Bill, it is very much appreciated.

Nick
Nick Walker

ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

Only had time to enter a few, but it looks good.

Looks like the Age calc is not respecting blank lines

as.jpg
as.jpg (120.26 KiB) Viewed 3645 times
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Thanks Colin - the blank lines are there to enter people who appear in the entry but you don't want to add as individuals in your GEDCOM file. It seems reasonable to me that it would warn you that you haven't entered ages for them as presumably they would have ages recorded in the census.
Nick Walker

David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

Hi Nick,

Three issues I have noticed:
1. I have amended my auto-text templates for the England Census to include some rich text formatting of enumeration district info before the grid. I no longer have the Autofit button. However I still set the message not clicked as shown in the screen shot.
2. In the Note section it is not accepting formatted weblinks when pasted in.
3. I amended the Title box, and got the warning message whether I wanted to change the title box Yes/No. I had to click No several times to removed the message box - it seemed to loop.
Screenshot below refers.
Screenshot 2022-05-26 114457.jpg
First two have been around a while, third is new. Sorry to be a pain! Regards David
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

David2416 wrote: 26 May 2022 10:53 1. I have amended my auto-text templates for the England Census to include some rich text formatting of enumeration district info before the grid. I no longer have the Autofit button. However I still set the message not clicked as shown in the screen shot.
2. In the Note section it is not accepting formatted weblinks when pasted in.
3. I amended the Title box, and got the warning message whether I wanted to change the title box Yes/No. I had to click No several times to removed the message box - it seemed to loop.
Hi David
1 and 3 will be fixed in the next version. Thanks for reporting these.

Regarding point 2, are you suggesting this works with the Source Text box but not the note section below? As far as I know I didn't add support for pasting formatted web-links into AS in either source text or note. So really it is 'by design', rather than a bug. There are a few rich-text features in FH that AS doesn't include and you'll see that the 'Add link' toolbar button in FH isn't there in AS. I will, however, treat this as a 'feature request'!

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker

David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

Thanks for your reply Nick. Re 2 was only thinking of the note box - so yes a feature request please.
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

I have had a go at creating a new template for the Australian Electoral Roll.
Initially, on creation, the template editor insisted on there being a full date given, However, when I went back to edit to make adjustments, I could delete the date to leave it blank, and that was OK.

The only downside so far is that the source "Type" is still "Census".

I have attached my template, but I may "Tweek" it a bit more yet.

John
Attachments
Electoral Roll Australia 1903-1980.xml
(1.85 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
kenfig
Gold

Post by kenfig »

Hello Nick

Not sure if this is a bug, editing tables in auto text I find that removing a column changes the font colour from black to blue. This happens in most templates though the results are often okay. Its not a great problem as I can edit it in FH. Maybe other users have found this & can offer a different outcome.

Thank you Nick
Mike
Mike Sheppard
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

kenfig wrote: 27 May 2022 16:52 Not sure if this is a bug, editing tables in auto text I find that removing a column changes the font colour from black to blue. This happens in most templates though the results are often okay. Its not a great problem as I can edit it in FH. Maybe other users have found this & can offer a different outcome.
Thanks Mike for reporting this. I've had a look at this and it seems to be particularly an issue when deleting the last column? This should be fixed in the next version. Incidentally, you can edit colours, etc. in Ancestral Sources if you click on the 'Text' link to open the editor so need to wait to edit in AS if the colours go wrong.

Incidentally, if you're in the habit of deleting empty columns there is now an option to automatically not include empty columns in the auto text (Tools->Options->General Settings - Source Text->Autotext census empty columns)

Thanks again

Nick
Nick Walker

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

johnmorrisoniom wrote: 27 May 2022 07:28 I have had a go at creating a new template for the Australian Electoral Roll.
Initially, on creation, the template editor insisted on there being a full date given, However, when I went back to edit to make adjustments, I could delete the date to leave it blank, and that was OK.
Hi John
I think there must be a particular sequence of events that would cause it to have insisted a date be entered and I've not found that easy to replicate.
The only downside so far is that the source "Type" is still "Census".
I'm not sure what you mean by the census type being "census". If you have the census option (Tools->Options->Census Settings) for Source Type set to {SOURCETYPE} then the 'Generic Type' will be set to the same as the template type, Electoral Register in this case.

Nick
Nick Walker

kenfig
Gold

Post by kenfig »

NickWalker wrote: 27 May 2022 18:00
kenfig wrote: 27 May 2022 16:52 Not sure if this is a bug, editing tables in auto text I find that removing a column changes the font colour from black to blue. This happens in most templates though the results are often okay. Its not a great problem as I can edit it in FH. Maybe other users have found this & can offer a different outcome.
Thanks Mike for reporting this. I've had a look at this and it seems to be particularly an issue when deleting the last column? This should be fixed in the next version. Incidentally, you can edit colours, etc. in Ancestral Sources if you click on the 'Text' link to open the editor so need to wait to edit in AS if the colours go wrong.

Incidentally, if you're in the habit of deleting empty columns there is now an option to automatically not include empty columns in the auto text (Tools->Options->General Settings - Source Text->Autotext census empty columns)

Thanks again

Nick
Thank you Nick, you have explained the two options I missed. Perfect now.

Thanks again

Mike
Mike Sheppard
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I've now released an update v7.4.3 for testing and I've updated the first post in this thread to show the changes I've made and also to update the download link.
Nick Walker

David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

Thank you Nick - I will download and test in the morning,
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

Hi Nick, I have got a curious problem using this latest version.

I added a new baptism and all went well. However when reloaded the project I had a error message from FH which provided a Gedcom report link to non-existent Individual record.
To check if this arose using AS rather than some other event, I closed the project restarted and added a further baptism - using AS with the same result on reloading.
In each case I had added an unrelated person being the minister. Otherwise the individuals all were present in the file.

Any ideas?
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

referring back to my previous post I have tried entering a new 1881 England census and got these two error reports on reloading FH.

In the 12.11 report Gedcom Id=S2311 refers to the source just created by AS; there are seven individuals on the census return of which three were added as children and one as an unrelated individual (lodger).

So far as I can see everything is created as expected and the only symptom is the occurrence of these error reports

Hope this helps.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Is it possible you copied some of the source text including hyperlinks to individuals, into the note text in AS for one of your entries? I can reproduce that error if I do that because AS isn't expecting to find linked individuals in the note.

I'd suggest closing AS and then FH run the File->Validate... and let it correct any errors. Then save the project. Then close FH. Reopen FH and load your project, confirming you get no errors.
Nick Walker

David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

Hi Nick, thanks for your fast response. The only things I copy into the note section is details of where I found the information. Nothing that includes links to the individuals.
I believe I was working in the same way as usual.

I closed FH each time and ran file validate. (actually I run that quite regularly anyway.)

I'll run some tests against the sample project in a while.
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

Hi Nick,
Using a clean copy of the FH sample project added a new baptism for Helen Mary ADDISON (12) using AS loaded with FH running via the plugin. I ignored the warning about the existing baptism entry.
A new baptism was created together with a source (41). Saved and closed AS, reloading the project when invited to do so.

Gedcom report 14.53 produced; ran File validate. Closed FH reopened sample project Gedcom report 14.55 produced.