* Downloads

Post here to suggest corrections, additions, changes etc to the FHUG KnowledgeBase . Include as much information as possible to help editors act on your post.

Moderator: kb admin

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Downloads

Post by tatewise »

It has come to my attention that the KB Downloads need a major review, especially for FH V7.
The review and update process has a number of policy issues that need considering...

Most available downloads say they are for FH versions: V4, V5, and V6 and not V7, although many do work in V7.
For those that are compatible with FH V7, it is a simple change to the FH versions: entry.
For those that need changing, does it require a new download page just for FH V7 with an identical description, or can the FH V7 variant file be added to the existing download page alongside the old download file?

Most download Queries state Skill Level: Advanced and Intermediate.
Whereas An Overview of Queries states Skill Level: Intermediate and New User and includes Creating a Custom Query.
Why does running a download Query need more skill than creating a custom Query?
Can the Skill Level for all download Queries be changed to Intermediate and New User?
Can that be automated?

I suspect there may be similar skill level discrepancies for other types of download versus KB pages.

Most downloads don't identify the author, so who is responsible for maintenance and are there any copyright issues?

I'm happy to review my Downloads and use Contribute > Add/Update a Download following whatever policy is decided.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Downloads

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Thanks!

1. All content of the current (and previous) KB are covered by this licence: Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0), so there should be no rights issues. Responsibility for maintenance lies with the original author and equally with anyone who volunteers to help maintain the KB as an editor or other contributor. Otherwise known as: anyone can update anything if they feel it needs updating. (We have mechanisms in place -- via this forum, via submissions made using one of the forms in the KB, and by mechanisms that allow experienced editors to review the suggested edits of less-experienced editors within the KB -- to prevent malicious and mistaken changes from going live.)

2. We know the Downloads need reviewing for V7, as do the Snippets and the the majority of the main Articles. All help to do so is very welcome -- most of the volunteers who helped with the migration (and to whom we remain very grateful for that) haven't the time and/or experience to spend reviewing stuff and updating it for version 7, so the reviewing/updating is being done in fits and starts, unfortunately. We also need new articles on the new features in V7 (where the V7 help is not adequate). A

3. For Downloads that need updating for V7, where the description remains the same, we can add a separate download file for V7 (suitably named).

4. Skill level... I'd argue it should be Intermediate for the Query Downloads, and Intermediate and Advanced for the Overview of Queries etc. Queries aren't the first thing on most new users' minds - typically they need to get their heads around 'Getting Around FH' and 'Entering and Editing Data' first (the topics right at the top of the KB). When they do get around to using queries, downloading them is easier than creating them (which has a range of difficulties depending on whether they're tweaking an existing query or striking off into terra incognita). And no, none of this can be automated... And yes :o , there may be other discrepancies.

5. Please review and update your own downloads (including just signalling that they're already FH7 compatible). If you had time (no obligation) an indication here for the rest of the downloads of whether they need work or are V7 compatible would be really helpful as well (in a single post so we can track when they've been actioned more easily).
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I hope to work through all the KB Downloads in the coming weeks, but limited to a cluster of similar ones each week.

This week I have reviewed the Auto Text (V7) section and updated all the Diagram Icons.

Next week will be the turn of Diagram Text Schemes and Diagram Types.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Mike, many thanks for your work on these.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

One strange thing, in addition to the expected WordPress Revision Approval Notices for Diagram Icons, I got two others sent to post@tatewise.co.uk at 17:10:

The revision you submitted for the Download "Census Auto-Text" has been approved.
View it online: https://fhug.org.uk/kb/download/census-auto-text-3/

The revision you submitted for the KB Article "Delete One or Many Records" has been approved.
View it online: https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/delet ... y-records/

But I don't believe I touched either of those articles!
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

You touched them (opened a new revision perhaps?), but didn't make any changes. it still shows up in the Revision queue for approval. I approved them for safety's sake in case you'd changed e.g. a tag or version which isn't easily spotted.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Very odd. I have no recall of even listing those pages in the Dashboard never mind clicking 'New Revision' that I'd have to close.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I've just spotted that a couple of Diagram Icons downloads are NOT 'Skill Level: Intermediate' like all the others and as you recommended for Query downloads, so I'll give them a quick update.

Another issue is that the EMF 2021 Converted Icons have a few anomalies...
The first Crossed Swords icon is just a white box, the last Yellow-Truck1 icon is just the truck shadows, and there is no pink BirthCert icon to complement the grey DeathCert and green MarrCert icons as in Simon Daw’s Icons.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I think we can assume that the author of the 2021 EMF converted icons is unlikely to address any issues you find...
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I suspected those issues might not get addressed but felt it worth mentioning them.

In the Downloads, I've spotted a Country Flag Census Icons — Draft article that looks as if it is probably a remnant from creating the recent Country Flag Census Icons (EMF) download. There are no options to View, Revise or Bin it.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Thanks, Mike -- have deleted that draft.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I've reviewed all 8 Diagram Text Schemes and they all work in FH V7 as described.
Some need a little adjustment to their wording for FH V7, etc.

However, some of the Text Scheme names after download don't exactly match their name in the KB, which can make them awkward to identify, especially when there are a lot of Text Schemes already in use. Are they worth correcting?
e.g.
Condensed Siblings downloads as FHUG Condensed Siblings with an FHUG prefix.
Birth, Marr, Death, Age at Death downloads as Birth Marr Death age at death and without commas.
Name, Birth, Marriage, Death, Places with Full Names as Name Birth Marr Death Places with Full Names no commas.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I'm not sure. Maybe lose the FHUG prefix, but commas always look off in file names to me (yes, I know they're valid characters but still).
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Certainly, lose the FHUG prefix.

However, for the others, the best option is somewhat complicated.
The majority of the standard FH Text Schemes do use commas, e.g. Birth, Marr, Death and all its derivatives.
So custom Text Schemes derived from that series should have commas to be consistent and collate with them.
They are lists of facts, so commas seem a natural separator, i.e. Birth Marr Death looks somehow unnatural.
I know that under the hood they are files with filenames, but in the Text Scheme dialogue, they are just names.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

From memory, I don't believe we renamed the files when we migrated them from the old KB, so this may be a long standing issue.

In fact, I've just looked and we didn't change the file names.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

No doubt, but what should we do now?
BTW: Was there a mechanism in old KB that changed the filename as part of the download process? See later below.

Currently, Birth, Marr, Death, Age at Death is the Title, is the Download: link name, and the legend in the screenshot.
The ONLY thing without commas is the FHT filename itself.

The same is true for Name, Birth, Marriage, Death, Places with Full Names.

The most consistent solution is to rename the FHT files, but then they differ from what users may have already downloaded.

Something appears to have changed with the download file naming between the old KB and the new KB.
I've an old FHT dated 14/02/2016 named Pedigree Chart - 4 Gens - Ahnentafel.fht
Whereas, the current Download is named Pedigree Chart 4 Gens Ahnentafel.fht
and the https:\\fhug.org.uk\ link is named Pedigree-Chart-4-Gens-Ahnentafel.fht
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

tatewise wrote: 24 Mar 2022 18:23 No doubt, but what should we do now?
BTW: Was there a mechanism in old KB that changed the filename as part of the download process? See later below.
Yes, and it's present in the new KB as well -- exactly the same code -- but it transforms '-' into ' '. (WordPress and the old wiki neither of them like spaces in file names).
Type [download]url|download title[/download] to insert a link to a downloadable file from the media library. The resultant downloaded file will have spaces in the file name instead of hyphens or dashes. To get the file url, upload the file to the Media Library and click Copy the link (on the right) instead of Insert into…
(The download mechanism in Downloads does the same thing.)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have tried to upload a Text Scheme with filename Birth, Marr, Death, Age at Death.fht but all the commas get stripped out as well as each space being converted to a hyphen, i.e. becomes Birth-Marr-Death-Age-at-Death.fht.
So there is no way that I, as a mere mortal, can retain commas (and maybe other symbols) in uploaded filenames.

Is that some immutable WordPress restriction or is there any workaround?

The outcome is that the Birth, Marr, Death, Age at Death page I submitted for review with other changes still has no commas in the download file.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Commas, like spaces, are a pain in the backside in URLs as they have to be escaped. I'm afraid you'll have to live with it, Mike. (Note: the hyphens will be converted back to spaces on download).
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, I will change the name of the Download: to remove the commas so the user knows in advance they won't be in the Text Scheme name. Will have to live with them not collating with the Text Scheme they were derived from.

I won't change the Title of the page, or the legend on the screenshots, unless you think that is necessary.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Sounds reasonable.

Maybe include something in the body that suggests adding the commas back into the file name before installing it if somebody wants it to collate...
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

After some experimenting, it seems that the Download: name shown is always the same as the Title of the page.

So to eliminate commas, the Title must change, which causes the Download: name to change in sympathy.

The actual download filename can be something different but would usually be the same as the Title and Download name with hyphens in place of spaces.

Is that how you understand it works?

If so, then does that need to be documented somewhere in the KB advice?