* BMD District, Sub-district and County.

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
sdcann
Family Historian: V7

BMD District, Sub-district and County.

Post by sdcann »

I'm trying to modify (a copy of) the UK birth, marriage and death certificate templates in AS7.

I'd like record the registration district, sub-district and County separately from the actual event address. For example, I have a birth certificate with the following data:

District: Bethnal Green.
Sub-district: Bethnal Green South West.
County: London.
Birth occurred at: 73 Derbyshire Street, Bethnal Green.

Can I separate this so the headings for the registration district etc. on the birth certificate are correctly reflected on the AS7 text template output.

I realise I could just make the change manually, but that would be far too simple. :roll:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've scoured the info available but haven't been able to find anything

Many thanks,

Stephen Cann..
tatewise
Megastar

Re: BMD District, Sub-district and County.

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to your first FHUG posting Stephen.

Crucial to answering this is whether you are using Generic or Templated Source records in FH.

If you use Templated Source records and the Source Templates have the Fields you requested then the answer is almost certainly 'YES'.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
sdcann

Post by sdcann »

Hi Mike, and thanks for the reply.

I am using Templated sources.

I know how to adjust the templates etc. in both FH and AS.

What I'm trying to do is have the autotext output the following, say, for a birth entry....

Superintendent Registrar's District Bethnal Green [I.e. the main District]
Registrar's District Town I.e. the Sub-district
1857 Births in the Town District of Bethnal Green in the County of Middlesex I.e. Sub-district, District, County.

Is it possible - or do I need to define new separate place keywords for this?

I hope that's clear.

Thank you,

Steve.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Certainly all the boilerplate fixed text can be added via a custom Autotext template.

You cannot create AS Keywords, but I'm not sure whether it is possible to use Source Template Fields. However, I don't think that is possible.

Perhaps somebody who is more familiar with such details can help.
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

If I don't have a BMD certificate I use the plug in 'GRO Source' which works fine for me

Victor
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Victor, since this thread IS about BMD Certificates I'm not sure that helps much, especially as AS does not play well with GRO Index entries.
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

Sorry about that. I said GRO source plug in which is not via AS but direct filling in of details. The plug in states 'add GRO Source' which I prompt

Victor
RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

You can create a template with the desired headings included, but I don't think it is possible to autofill the registration district and sub-district locations, as that would require associated input fields to be written into the AS BMD input screens, as otherwise AS has no knowledge of that information.

But having created a template with the required headings, it should be possible to make at least a reasonable approximation of the county and address fields. Have a look at the template keywords in the AS help file. Using one of the {PLACE} keywords, depending how you input places, should populate the county, but will also add at least the town if using {PLACE.MEDIUM} and will need editing after creating the auto-text from source. Similarly the {ADDR} keyword will populate the "Birth occurred at" heading from the information entered in the input field.

It is often the case that the auto-text from source needs editing to a lesser or greater degree, particularly if you require it to be an exact transcript of the document. Punctuation, or the lack of it, and capitalisation in the original document, and the way that multiple causes of death are laid out, may not be compatible with what you wish to appear in the fact entry and/or reports, so what I enter in those fields in AS often needs editing in the text from source to return it to an exact representation of what was entered on the original document. Whether for example you feel that auto-populating the "County:" heading with the town and county, then manually removing the town name to just leave the county displayed is better than just typing the county name manually, is one of those decisions.
sdcann

Post by sdcann »

Thanks, RS3100, that's extremely helpful. I think the solution you suggested is more or less what I'm doing now, so maybe I was just trying to over-automate.

Steve.
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

I've just come looking for answers to the same query (spookily similar in that my grandmother was also born in Bethnal Green as per the original post but the birth was registered at Mile End Old Town, sub-district Eastern).

Slight difference in that I'm still using generic rather than templated sources.

I did try using the Individual Residence on the Residence tab for the birth place and the Place and Address on the main tab for Registrars district, sub-district and county and then adjusting a copy of the Birth Certificate 1837- (England/Wales) auto text template (using keyperson tags) which produced a perfect text from source. But this then messed up the source and image titles which couldn't be similarly adjusted because place and address tags are not available for keyperson.
John Elvin
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

jelv wrote: 20 Feb 2022 20:27 I did try using the Individual Residence on the Residence tab for the birth place and the Place and Address on the main tab for Registrars district, sub-district and county and then adjusting a copy of the Birth Certificate 1837- (England/Wales) auto text template (using keyperson tags) which produced a perfect text from source. But this then messed up the source and image titles which couldn't be similarly adjusted because place and address tags are not available for keyperson.
If you type data into the individual residence fields then that will be recorded in the residence fact for the individual which really isn't what you would want I suspect. I don't understand why you don't just type these straight into the source text. Let the auto-text generate everything that it can first, and then edit the source text to enter the Districts, etc.

I was also going to add that you can use any auto-text template code in titles (including residence, etc.) and not just the ones that are shown, but actually when I tested this, currently it causes an error if the template code has 2 or more full stops in it This will be fixed in the next version.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/