* View my family historian data online

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Candiiclouds
Family Historian: V6.2

View my family historian data online

Post by Candiiclouds »

Hello, does anyone know if it's possible to view my 'Family Historian' data online?

My mother-in-law often talk to me about some of her family members, but she can't remember deaths, dob's etc. It would be nice to look these up online on my 'Family Historian' when I'm at hers, so I can remind her of the dates, including addresses etc from the census dara.

I don't want to have to go to individual genealogy sites like ancestry, etc, as I do not subscribe to any, as they are too expensive.

Does anyone know if there is somewhere I can upload my data online, so I can access it on my phone please?

Many thanks
Gowermick
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: View my family historian data online

Post by Gowermick »

Try Tribalpages.com. You can upload a Gedcom with unlimited number of individuals. The free version limits the number of photos allowed to 50, but you can increase the number of photos allowed by paying a small annual fee.
Try either of my links below to see what you get.

NB They have an app for your phone
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Presumably, you only have a desktop PC and not a laptop that you could take with you.
However, there are lots of options to choose from...

Contrary to what you think, there is no need to subscribe to Ancestry or FindMyPast to create online family trees.
So you can upload to Ancestry, FindMyPast, ZoomPast, TribalPages, and others at no cost. Yes, family trees are free!
The main drawback is that they do not support bulk upload of Media images, so there will be no pictures.

It is also possible to transfer directly to your phone.
The genealogy products available depend on whether that is an iPhone or Android phone, but the display is very small.
See What are good FH7 and iOS app combinations? (19284) for some ideas.

You could also simply publish some family tree Diagrams in PDF format and take them on your phone or print them.

Let us know which of the above appeal to you and we can give more detailed instructions.

Please confirm you are still running FH v6.2.7.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Candiiclouds

Post by Candiiclouds »

Thanks Gowermick, I will have a look at it.

Tatewise, I do not have an apple phone, but will check out your link. I do still use the same version of Family Historian.

I would prefer to have some functionality of being able to search for the person my mother-in-law is talking about, and have all the info oubout them available on the same page, like you can in the desktop version.

Thanks both for your help so far.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ok, so your primary choice is between an online family tree or an app you install on your Android phone.

I would advise against TribalPages as it has poor GEDCOM support. For example, it does not handle multiple instances of the same fact, so it only shows the first of several Census facts per person.

Whichever option you choose it will not be exactly the same as Family Historian.
Anyway, you will need to download the Export Gedcom File plugin from the Plugin Store.
Do you need any advice on how to do that? See Family Historian Plugins.

Online family trees are available for free on Ancestry, FindMyPast, and ZoomPast.
You just upload the GEDCOM exported by the plugin.
The online tree is searched on your phone via its browser, so your mother-in-law needs WiFi or you'll be using up data.

Popular free Android apps include GedStar Pro, Heredis, RootsMagic, and MyHeritage.
You must load the GEDCOM exported by the plugin into a Windows program and then send the database to your phone.
With this method, your mother-in-law does NOT need WiFi as the family tree data is on your phone.
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

You could also try the Gedview app. Once loaded with your family historian gedcom, you can view it. I have the Apple version on my iphone and iPad, but I think there is an Android version available too. UPDATE: sorry, lloks like there is no android version avalable, just Apple and Windows phones
Visit Gedview.org for details
Mike Loney

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is why I did not mention GedView. Mike, can that posting be deleted to avoid any confusion?
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Mike, OP states she doesn’t have an iPhone, but does she have a Windows phone? But still, information may be useful for others
Mike Loney

Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

does she have a Windows phone?
If she does, she's probably the only one left! :D Great phones, but suffocated by a lack of apps.
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If it is a Windows Phone it still won't run GedView. I think GedView got enough exposure in the thread What are good FH7 and iOS app combinations? (19284) and has no relevance to an Android thread.
KFN
Superstar

Post by KFN »

If you have a little website knowledge, I use webtrees at webtrees.net to display my GEDCOM. It is free to use but requires your own website. Easy to install however! I think their is even a docker script as well. Then it can be viewed on any browser.

webtrees is a branch of the older phpgedview, free software.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I use Gedstar Pro to put my trees on an Android phone. One used to pay for this software, but when the author retired and no longer offered support, he made it free.

One puts Gedstar Pro on ones computer. One can use drop box to transfer the Gedstar trees or tree to ones phone.
But once transfered to the phone, the tree needs no internet connection. This was really important to me looking at remote graveyards in outback Australia.
Candiiclouds

Post by Candiiclouds »

Thanks everyone for your help. I have an android phone, and would probably prefer to access the data on my phone without needing internet access. I will investigate all your suggestions.

Thanks again so much for your help.
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

I use the free tree on https://en.geneanet.org/.

== It gives a simple but concise, no bells or whistles, view of all info on an individual on 1 page, and views like simple ancestry, descendants etc, very similar to the old Rootsweb. Plus options to print/pdf very space efficient trees.

== You can load/reload a standard FH Gedcom. I think Gedcom 5.5 is the official ideal, but it seems to take nearly anything like Rootsweb used to. Unlike Ancestry, when you refresh/overwrite the tree the tree is still the same name etc and previous links and sharings still work.

== I sometimes use it as an addition to my FH views as it gives a quick all on one page view of an individual.

== I have not tried uploading images.

== I have tested this via the Chrome Browser on my Android Samsung Galaxy S10e and "for a smartphone" works surprisingly well and fast, especially in landscape view.

== warning - I understand Geneanet has just been bought out by Ancestry (for their French records I think) see
https://en.geneanet.org/genealogyblog/p ... gy-company
I just hope Ancestry do not ditch the Geneanet online trees like they did with the simple but brilliant Rootsweb trees as the Ancestry trees are Gedcom UNfriendly, and being polite, very slow and pedantic requiring many clicks to find all the "hidden" info on an individual.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
Robert Jacobs
Famous

Post by Robert Jacobs »

John Cardinal's GedSite program makes web sites from FH7 data. The sites are viewable in any browser, including on cell phones. The site can be simple or elaborate, all under the user's control. See https://www.gedsite.com/en/index.htm. There's a link on that page to sample sites which one can inspect, so you can see if they meet your needs.

Mike Tate's export plug-in has a setting for GedSite. Once one has designed a site no more than four or five clicks will manufacture of update the site. A site can be published on the web or loaded onto a disk or USB drive.