* Poor or no response opening FindMyPast images

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
rodit
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Poor or no response opening FindMyPast images

Post by rodit »

Has anyone else experienced very poor responses in opening images from FMP in recent times?
I first contacted them about this a few weeks ago, only to be told that I should clear the cache on my PC.
This helped initially but I am experiencing the problem again.
When accessing the same images through Ancestry there is no problem and they arrive virtually immediately.
It is annoying as I have only just renewed my subscription with them. In itself this was a trial as I received emails from both the English and US arms of FMP, offering differing deals.
I have just contacted them again, so will await their response.
Roger
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Poor or no response opening FindMyPast images

Post by Jane »

Have you tried using a different web browser?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Martin Tolley
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Post by Martin Tolley »

Endorse Jane's comment. I've found that images, and particularly manipulating them, enlarging etc is poor in Firefox, with images sometime just bloating to gigantic sizes or crashing off the screen completely. Don't like using it, but Chrome always works better for me. The latest versions of Ff seem to not play well for me with a few other sites - the new Society of Genealogists site, and Historic England's site both seem disaster prone in Ff
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I don't think it's that simple. I use Firefox and have not had any problem accessing/opening images from FMP or any other site.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ditto. I'm using Firefox 90.0.1 (64-bit) and it downloads FMP images OK.

BTW: Which FMP site are you using? There are four: UK, USA, Eire & Australia.
Although it does usually warn if you are not signing in to your 'home' site.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

My FMP images take a few seconds to open in Firefox - gut feeling is that indeed they might load faster in Chrome - but nothing so serious from where I'm sitting that I would be induced to use the "treat me as a child Browser". (Don't worry - yes I am prejudiced against Chrome).
Adrian
rodit
Famous

Post by rodit »

I am using Chrome, but have just updated from v91 to v92. There have also been reports of some global internet disruptions yesterday, which may or may not have had some bearing.
Also I use the Australian FMP site, although my renewal came through the US site and I paid in $US after having paid in Sterling ever since I joined. (I don't use automatic renewals).
After some checking various images today - census, parish records, etc, things seem to have reverted to normal.
I can only see how it goes.
Regards
Roger